Recipe Magic Custard Cake

Local time
12:16 AM
The other day I came across a very odd cake recipe. As the thread name implies it is for a magic custard cake.

in short, all the Ingredients are mixed together into a batter, placed in a baking tin and baked for about 60 70 minutes. When the cake comes out of the oven, it has separated into three seperate layers. A base, the custard middle, and sponge top.

How does it happen? How does it work? I have no idea, but it does, and works very well. I decided to make this magic cake myself before starting a thread about it, after all there I felt there was no point in just giving the recipe out if it doesn't actually work.

The recipe is as follows:

pre heat oven tp 325 or 170 deg. line an 8 inch baking tin.

Ingredients
4 eggs at room temperature
1tsp vanilla essence
150 grams of sugar
125 grams of butter (must be soft)
115 grams of all, purpose flour (plain)
500 ml or 2 cups of milk. (Must be warm)
Icing sugar for dusting.

Method.

Separate the 4 eggs.
Beat the egg whites until stiff, put to one side.
In a bowl mix the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence until it is light in colour. Add the soft butter and mix thoroughly.
Add and incorporate all of the flour.
Add the milk bit by bit until a smooth batter is formed.
add the egg whites a little at a time. I used a balloon whisk as it is quite difficult to fold the egg whites into a much thinner batter.
When all of the egg whites have been mixed into the batter, pour into your baking tin. Place in the middle of the oven for between 50 to 70 minutes. The cake should be a light golden colour and be firm to the touch.
Leave the cake to one side until it is completely cold. Dust the top with icing sugar.

Below are a couple of photos of the one I baked. You can clearly see that there are in fact 3 layers to the cake. MAGIC. As you can see Mr WD decided to take his life in his hands and try the cake. What a hero. He tells me between mouthfuls, that it is delicious.

20151119_114351.jpg

This first pictutre is the cake as soon as it was taken out of the oven.

20151119_140052.jpg

As you can see, there are 3 layers.

Definitely going to try this! It really does seem magical. I've come across puddings which separate but not cakes. Perhaps its the same principle. But, from memory, the puds separate into just two layers - pudding and sauce.

p.s. can you post an aubergine recipe for the Challenge?

This does sound really good. It will have to be on my to make list.
I love custard. It is really interesting how it separates into three layers
like that, It really is magical. :)

Ok so I tried this at the weekend.....DISASTER!
All my cake tins are loose bottom or spring form so I used the springform thinking it would be ok (its usually fine) luckily I put it on baking sheet because the batter is so runny about half of it seeped out before it started solidifying. We ended up with thin custard and sponge layers...but it sadly the base layer totally escaped :oops:

But.......what there was of it tasted GREAT!
Will definitely be trying it again....in a solid tin next time :happy:

All my cake tins are loose bottom or spring form so I used the springform thinking it would be ok (its usually fine) luckily I put it on baking sheet because the batter is so runny about half of it seeped out before it started solidifying. We ended up with thin custard and sponge layers...but it sadly the base layer totally escaped :oops:

I always use one of the greaseproof liners that you can buy. It saves having to clean the tin and works well if you have runny mix. Hope you have better luck next time. :laugh:

Sorry for laughing by the way.

Oh gosh! think it only works in a solid tin. After all, the batter has to sort of move about, sink, rise or whatever magical thing it does...therefore I should think seeping out would appeal to it!

Back
Top Bottom