Main & Starter Course Salads

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:03 PM
How often do you eat salad as a main course or starter? To many of us, its usually a side dish but recently (partly due to the Recipe challenge featuring parsley), I've been making main course and starter salads. There are a few obvious well known main/starter course salads such as Waldorf Salad and Salade Niçoise but there must be lots of other examples. When did you last eat salad as a main or starter? And do tell us about your main course or starter course salads.

Probably an average of once every 2 or 3 weeks for main dish salad. All the below are main dishes.

Our Rusty Pelican salad, which is steamed shrimp, HB eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, and chives if wanted with a homemade honey mustard dressing.

A spinach salad with HB eggs, sauteed mushrooms, sometimes with red onions, and a warm bacon dressing.

Southwest chicken salad that has a spicy homemade ranch dressing, currants, pecans, and green onions.

The Ninth Street House California chicken salad.

Chicken Caesar of course.

Blackened steak salad with steamed/roasted potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, red onion, red and/or green bell pepper, tomatoes and blue cheese, with a balsamic vinaigrette.

Chef salad with mixed deli type meats and cheeses, HB eggs, with whatever dressing you prefer.

Cobb salad with chicken, HB eggs, avocados, mushrooms, bacon, blue cheese, green onions with a vinaigrette, French or Russian dressing depending on our mood.

Last edited:
Is that from the name of a restaurant - I love the name!

Yes, it's been around for 40 plus years and was their signature salad in the mid 70s to early 80s. It was actually a salad course finished and served tableside. They would bring out a large bowl of composed salad, then spin the bowl while pouring the dressing, toss and serve, along with a lightly orange flavored bread. We made it a meal salad by using larger (they used tiny) shrimp and more of everything else.

The Rusty Pelican

Yes, it's been around for 40 plus years and was their signature salad in the mid 70s to early 80s. It was actually a salad course finished and served tableside. They would bring out a large bowl of composed salad, then spin the bowl while pouring the dressing, toss and serve, along with a lightly orange flavored bread. We made it a meal salad by using larger (they used tiny) shrimp and more of everything else.

The Rusty Pelican

Looks fabulous - I noticed CAVIAR TASTING AND CHAMPAGNE.

I like the idea of orange flavoured bread. Must try making some...

Chicken Caesar is a regular here, occasionally a Waldorf or a Greek salad. Not really a fan of side salads with hot food. I love salad in a sandwich though. In Cyprus, every meal starts with a Village salad - shredded lettuce, cabbage, tomato, cucumber, feta cheese, liberally dressed with olive oil.

Other than the aforementioned chicken Caesar salads, salmon Caesar salad is a real favorite of mine...more so than the chicken Caesar, since salmon delivers more flavor than chicken breast. There's enough there to work as a main course.

Antipasto translates literally as starter, and the root of the word means "before pasta", so it's not intended to be used as a main course. But between the meat and the cheese in an antipasto salad, I can eat this as a main course.

Main Course
Iceberg, toasted coconut, blue cheese crumbles, hard boiled eggs, mandarin oranges, steamed shrimp that have been cooled, tomatoes and poppy seed dressing. Copied from a salad served at a now closed restaurant from the late 70s.

That sounds delicious! Although, the combination of mandarin oranges and egg sounds a little unusual to me.

Back
Top Bottom