Major Life Changes

My mother died in September last year, I cannot even begin to explain how that feels :cry:

I am so sorry for your loss Lullabelle, I could not imagine the hurt you must be going through right now. I sometimes think about what it will be like when I lose my parents and the thought itself devestates me to no end.

I am so sorry for your loss Lullabelle, I could not imagine the hurt you must be going through right now. I sometimes think about what it will be like when I lose my parents and the thought itself devestates me to no end.

It is something we all have to go through at some point in life and mum's death was expected so it wasn't any great shock but it still hit hard to get that call from a paramedic.

Life throws things at us to test us, satnav sounds like a very strong woman to be going through what she is but still manages to keep her chin up, all respect.

Cancer in '99. Operated and removed later the same year. Operation delayed due to complications in an operation in '95.
"Popped mi clogs" on the operating table, and painkillers couldn't be given after the operation.

i live a life with no excesses ,and have just been diagnosed with Atrial fibrillation (AF) it may be a quick fix,may be a blip but i can't understand. why me]i have had a blip in my life just three weeks ago,

my consultant has sped my procedure along,so 7 weeks from start to procedure and thats enough time for the drugs to get me ready,but i don't do illness,and i hate it

Sorry, meant to reply not post! I also have Atrial Fibrillation and it certainly has restricted things, particularly physical activity. It is incredibly common though - Tony Blair had it nd George Bush and his wife both had it. I've had it on and off for years (mainly caused by an over-active thyroid). At the moment its under control with flecainide acetate and I feel like I can get back on track. How to cope? Well talking does help and also trying to create a calm 'zen-like' attitude. If you are having ablation, Berties, then its really quite good at solving the problem. I have a friend who has had it twice and is now totally better (it does often need to be done twice). The good news is that it doesn't actually mean you have heart disease. Its just electrical impulses which are making the heartbeat irregular.

Sorry, meant to reply not post! I also have Atrial Fibrillation and it certainly has restricted things, particularly physical activity. It is incredibly common though - Tony Blair had it nd George Bush and his wife both had it. I've had it on and off for years (mainly caused by an over-active thyroid). At the moment its under control with flecainide acetate and I feel like I can get back on track. How to cope? Well talking does help and also trying to create a calm 'zen-like' attitude. If you are having ablation, Berties, then its really quite good at solving the problem. I have a friend who has had it twice and is now totally better (it does often need to be done twice). The good news is that it doesn't actually mean you have heart disease. Its just electrical impulses which are making the heartbeat irregular.
three weeks time I'm going to have the electric shock,they will knock me out first,my thyroid is fine,I'm taking a blood thinner at the moment and a heart slowing tablet,to prep for the procedure,my anger is i don't understand why its happened ,i was mega active un till this came on,i have no excesses ,my limited caffine ,sodium and alcohol,i have cut right out now,but i just miss my riding and can't wait to get back out,i have friend who is a gp and she gives me support and i am going to chat with a councillor ,organised by my gp ,i know some how i will sort this out ,but it has hit me hard

three weeks time I'm going to have the electric shock,they will knock me out first,my thyroid is fine,I'm taking a blood thinner at the moment and a heart slowing tablet,to prep for the procedure,my anger is i don't understand why its happened ,i was mega active un till this came on,i have no excesses ,my limited caffine ,sodium and alcohol,i have cut right out now,but i just miss my riding and can't wait to get back out,i have friend who is a gp and she gives me support and i am going to chat with a councillor ,organised by my gp ,i know some how i will sort this out ,but it has hit me hard
The thing is with things like this, they can't be foreseen. Its not like something you may have noticed & ignored when you saw it. At present & the foreseeable future, I'm on lifelong medication, for epilepsy, Born with it & brought up with it. That's the condition that prevents the use of painkillers. Found out just over a year ago that one lot I've been on since '77 has caused bone thinning. In order to treat it they first need to stop the treatment that's causing the damage, in order to treat the damage it done!
Turn the anger you're feeling, outwards not inwards. It's not a case of "what did I do wrong", more a case of nature showing who's really in control. Any concerns over what you are taking doing any harm or their long term effects, see your GP. Other peoples experiences of the same course of treatment will vary, take them as a guide only.
To give an example. Lignocane, a widely used local anaesthetic. Can't be given/used, reason, its twice caused the heart to stop whilst in A&E. Within seconds of being given. They'd not seen a reaction to it like that & they use it day in day out.

Is some of that anger you're feeling actually fear of the unknown? Don't let these unknowns either slow you down or stop you doing anything. It'll only leave you with more time to think about them.

The thing is with things like this, they can't be foreseen. Its not like something you may have noticed & ignored when you saw it. At present & the foreseeable future, I'm on lifelong medication, for epilepsy, Born with it & brought up with it. That's the condition that prevents the use of painkillers. Found out just over a year ago that one lot I've been on since '77 has caused bone thinning. In order to treat it they first need to stop the treatment that's causing the damage, in order to treat the damage it done!
Turn the anger you're feeling, outwards not inwards. It's not a case of "what did I do wrong", more a case of nature showing who's really in control. Any concerns over what you are taking doing any harm or their long term effects, see your GP. Other peoples experiences of the same course of treatment will vary, take them as a guide only.
To give an example. Lignocane, a widely used local anaesthetic. Can't be given/used, reason, its twice caused the heart to stop whilst in A&E. Within seconds of being given. They'd not seen a reaction to it like that & they use it day in day out.

Is some of that anger you're feeling actually fear of the unknown? Don't let these unknowns either slow you down or stop you doing anything. It'll only leave you with more time to think about them.
I have many friends that as I say have a brain and they have different out looks on life and they have constantly gave me their knowledge,experience and guidence on how I should get through this and believe me I apreciate it all,I know you had a near death experience ,and to that I am Lucky I have what I do ,I'm still a bit raw, I miss my bikes at the moment,like something has been snatched away though tempory,
It's not age thing ,I know of children that have had af ,treated and been ok,
For me it's part of my brain that is not dealing with it,I'm the one that sorts the problems ,people come to me for solutions ,I'm the one pushing to do things faster etc
Yes! anger is fear ,as my gp said ,fear of what,the unknown,hense my session next week,I think we all have a part of our brain that does not deal with things!

I have many friends that as I say have a brain and they have different out looks on life and they have constantly gave me their knowledge,experience and guidence on how I should get through this and believe me I apreciate it all,I know you had a near death experience ,and to that I am Lucky I have what I do ,I'm still a bit raw, I miss my bikes at the moment,like something has been snatched away though tempory,
For me it's part of my brain that is not dealing with it,I'm the one that sorts the problems ,people come to me for solutions ,I'm the one pushing to do things faster etc
Yes! anger is fear ,as my gp said ,fear of what,the unknown,hense my session next week,I think we all have a part of our brain that does not deal with things!

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

I have no idea what you are going through right now so I cannot offer any wise words, it doesn't matter how many times you are told that you are lucky to have been diagnosed and are being treated, every year people die from un-diagnosed heart problems. Yes you are lucky but right now you are in 'your' place, you are angry, you are upset, you are scared that is to be expected. face it head on and win, get your life back, give Mother Nature a kick in the pants. I wish you well :hug:

That's interesting. I had the electric shock treatment last summer (cardioversion), when I had an AF attack that couldn't be slowed down with drugs(it was going at 160 beats per minute). But I was told that was just to revert it on that occasion. It didn't stop me getting it again. Perhaps yours is in permanent AF? In which case, I guess the shock might cure it. Mine is paroxysmal (in other words I get attacks from time to time). Really though, you shouldn't get too angry about why it happened. Its got nothing to do with excesses or general health. It can happen to anyone and its very common in perfectly healthy people. It doesn't automatically mean you have a poorly heart or that your lifestyle has been to blame. My worst side effect is that I'm now prone to panic attacks because I think I'm going to get an AF attack!

For me there have been many major changes in my life. The latest one happened on the 5th November last year. Until then I had cycled and cycled and cycled, I had swum, walked and you name it. I have cycled more miles than I had driven in 2014 (+6,000 miles cycled between Jan and Oct) and was commuting 3 times a week on a 22 mile each way commute.
I used to climb mountains, swim every lunch time and not bat an eyelid over walking 27 miles in a day, and getting up and doing the same thing the next day and the next. A holiday for me was the chance to get out and walk or cycle a long distance. My last holiday was a 700 mile off-road camping tour by bike in the UK. That was last September.

Then I put the telephone down and went to walk away, in my own home. Sometime I do quite a lot :laugh: only this time it did not happen. I put the phone down, went to turn around and ended up on the floor in agony where I lay for the best part of 2 hours before I could move to my bed where I have been ever since other than the odd visit to hospital by stretcher because I can't sit. I can't weight bear on my spine. A disc shattered (not ruptured) in my spine at L5-S1 which is basically the lowest disc. It shattered as though it was made of ceramic rather than plasticine which is how they are meant to be. Overnight I lost the use of my right leg and most of the feeling as well.

To cut a very long story short, my spine can't now weight bear. For me to ride my recumbent trike (bought since this happened and it is the only way I leave the house without an ambulance!) I need to have a double dose of morphine, single dose of paracetamol and a large dose of pregabalin which suppressed nerve pain. I need the same to walk anywhere (100-200metres) with crutches and can't walk without crutches at all. I have had surgery which has recovered 2/3rds of the use of my right leg and most of the feeling, but not all of the control. I have also had another procedure which didn't help at all. I still can't sit up in a chair normally and haven't done other than my physio (8-10 times a day) since my back went. My new surgeon thinks that my spine did not develop properly and had anyone who knew what they were looking at seen an MRI of my spine, they would have seen this coming. The next disc up is sound but misshapen and is a wedge not a disc - hence the probability it is a birth defect and was always going to happen, it was just a case of when. I go in for major surgery on my back on Monday, in a hope to reduce the pain I am in, the pain meds I am on (I have been on morphine since it happened over 6 months ago and am now on time release morphine capsules as well as oral morphine and various other meds) and a hope that fusing the spine will allow me to sit up again. I have had to purchase one of those horrible riser/recliner chairs, I have a frame around the toilet and we are considering moving into a bungalow if this surgery does not work. I don't know if I will ever be able to drive a normal car again!

So life has changed a touch recently.
Similar happened to my wife - found her on the floor [where she had been since about 9am] when I came home from work. Emergency operation on the spine etc etc. Our plans of buying a tandem bike and touring are now out of the question as are the m/cycle tours and camping holidays were always hoping to do. She walks only with a walking stick [and the doctors say she is lucky to be able to do that], her balance is very poor and she too requires morphine when the pain gets bad. I have had to take early retirement to be able to stay at home and be nearby [I worked a 24 hour standby system and could be out for far too many unpredictable hours]. Life can change in an instant with no warning all you can do is carry on - there is no alternative.

Similar happened to my wife - found her on the floor [where she had been since about 9am] when I came home from work. Emergency operation on the spine etc etc. Our plans of buying a tandem bike and touring are now out of the question as are the m/cycle tours and camping holidays were always hoping to do. She walks only with a walking stick [and the doctors say she is lucky to be able to do that], her balance is very poor and she too requires morphine when the pain gets bad. I have had to take early retirement to be able to stay at home and be nearby [I worked a 24 hour standby system and could be out for far too many unpredictable hours]. Life can change in an instant with no warning all you can do is carry on - there is no alternative.
I haven't given up the hope of touring. I can now cycle 20 miles and my recumbent trike can take my crutches. The trike was purchased with the ability to take a pannier rack as well. I'm slow but I still manage more than most people. Camping could be an issue but my surgeon is hopeful of getting me back on my feet literally. Today I am in for my spine to be fused.. I'm just waiting to be yes taken down to theatre as I type this! I'm guessing I probably won't ever work again unless the surgery makes a massive difference to life right now but there we go. Luckily my husband earns enough to cover both of us if we are careful but I don't think we will be able to complete our world tour! But to be honest I think we both know how lucky I have been. I just need to be able to sit, that's all I want from this operation! To be able to sit again!
Currently I can only walk with 2 crutches. I can cope with that if it is how it has to be. Sitting is just what I want to be able to do and ideally without the aid of large quantities of morphine!
Best wishes to you and your wife. Have you looked at recumbent trikes? I have found them to be wonderful and they can even have an aid to help you in and out of the seat.

That's interesting. I had the electric shock treatment last summer (cardioversion), when I had an AF attack that couldn't be slowed down with drugs(it was going at 160 beats per minute). But I was told that was just to revert it on that occasion. It didn't stop me getting it again. Perhaps yours is in permanent AF? In which case, I guess the shock might cure it. Mine is paroxysmal (in other words I get attacks from time to time). Really though, you shouldn't get too angry about why it happened. Its got nothing to do with excesses or general health. It can happen to anyone and its very common in perfectly healthy people. It doesn't automatically mean you have a poorly heart or that your lifestyle has been to blame. My worst side effect is that I'm now prone to panic attacks because I think I'm going to get an AF attack!
Well good news ,went for a ultra sound on my heart,and the X-ray lady said when did you have a ecg,I said 3 weeks ago when it first started,she said your heart appears to be normal now,and got me a ecg straight away and he confirmed it during a resting ecg ,so waiting to my next move they can't shock me if I'm out of
Af so here's hoping ,waiting to speak to my doctor as I type this
Hopefully it was a blip ,who knows but fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom