Making bread

I sometimes include olive oil in my bread, but often don't - I've not tasted them side by side, but I don't think I've noticed any difference to my basic loaf....either in taste or in how long it keeps for.

I agree - unless its the type of bread with extra olive oil added before cooking, such as focaccia.

If you think it's a matter of overbaking, you could use a meat thermometer and stick it into the bread. 190F-200F is usually considered done for bread.

Also, on the fan oven topic, I have an oven that has a fan assist, if I choose to use it. In the guidebook that came with the oven, it does say not to bake bread in the fan-assist mode, as it'll result in a dry loaf.

Do you have any tips for checking whether bread is done without using a thermometer? Last weekend, we ran into an issue where we baked a loaf following a credible source, and the bread looked like it was done, but came out slightly undercooked. When cut open, the bottom of the bread was a bit damp and didn't have a homogenous density. Root cause is likely that the oven we used is slightly lower in temperature than it actually says. So that having been said, what's a good way to detect this potential issue before cutting it open?

Do you have any tips for checking whether bread is done without using a thermometer? Last weekend, we ran into an issue where we baked a loaf following a credible source, and the bread looked like it was done, but came out slightly undercooked. When cut open, the bottom of the bread was a bit damp and didn't have a homogenous density. Root cause is likely that the oven we used is slightly lower in temperature than it actually says. So that having been said, what's a good way to detect this potential issue before cutting it open?

The bottom of the bread should sound hollow when tapped it with your thumb - or rap it lightly with your knuckles. If its undercooked it makes a sort of thud when you tap it. This is the usual way of telling. You could also insert a toothpick in the bottom to see if it comes out clean. If in doubt bake the bread a bit longer - and extra 5 minutes or so won't cause the bread to burn.

I always turn my loaves upside down and tap the bottom...if it sounds hollow then its cooked inside. Then I look and feel the bottom.....if it feels crusty and is nicely coloured then great. If its a bit pale or feels a little soft then the loaf goes back in the oven for 5 minutes upside down. After 5 minutes I check again.

You can thump it, as others have said. Also, take it out of the loaf pan (assuming you're using one) and pop it back in the oven for a few minutes.

Really important - don't cut right into it. Let it sit for a bit to get the crumb set. I usually let them sit for a couple of hours.

Good advice, will try these tips next time we make bread. Taking the bread out of the loaf pan and putting it in the oven makes a lot of sense...from our previous trials of making bread, no matter what, the bottom always seemed more damp because moisture has a harder time leaving it. We also screwed up by cutting into it about 1/2h after taking it out of the oven...

I was making reasonable bread, then I changed my Neff oven for an updated model of the same oven, now my bread seems dry as if its two days old. Can any of you wonderful people point out what I'm doing wrong and how to remedy this. 😕
In the winter we bake bread in a wood fired oven. What flour are you using ? After WW2 the UK government passed a law to add various vitamins and minerals to flour and margarine to stop rickets. They do not have to mark the bag with these additions. Canadian flour is one of the best I worked with along with Serbian flour. Never use mass produced British bread flour. Waitrose & Partners

This is a simple 10 minute Irish wholemeal Soda bread that keeps moist forever. It makes very good toast and toasties. My rule of thumb is Italian breads Type 00 French breads T 55
gardenBBQ507 (1).jpg

60014672_573414976481355_7222590757855559680_n.jpg

We also screwed up by cutting into it about 1/2h after taking it out of the oven...
Its so tempting sometimes....you just want a slice of that warm oven-fresh bread smothered in butter.
Its not the end of the world if you give in....so long as the bread is fully cooked then it'll be fine. The rest of the loaf might go stale a bit quicker and dry out a bit more than it would have done, but it'll still taste perfectly fine :okay:

Its so tempting sometimes....you just want a slice of that warm oven-fresh bread smothered in butter.
Its not the end of the world if you give in....so long as the bread is fully cooked then it'll be fine. The rest of the loaf might go stale a bit quicker and dry out a bit more than it would have done, but it'll still taste perfectly fine :okay:
I do confess I can seldom resist cutting the crust off one end and slathering it with butter.

In the winter we bake bread in a wood fired oven. What flour are you using ? After WW2 the UK government passed a law to add various vitamins and minerals to flour and margarine to stop rickets. They do not have to mark the bag with these additions. Canadian flour is one of the best I worked with along with Serbian flour. Never use mass produced British bread flour. Waitrose & Partners

I use strong white flour. since taking the advice from all of the replies I have not had the problem thanks again everyone

Back
Top Bottom