Making cheese sticks - I have questions.

MayFox

Veteran
Local time
5:40 PM
I have been thinking about making cheese sticks, and they have been on my list of things to try to make for a while. I'm just not sure how to go about it. I have seen them be done in what seems to be a beer batter, simply done with flour, and some done with Italian or Panko crumbs. I, personally, like mine to have a nice seasoning, maybe even a bit of a spicy hint with a satisfying crunch.

So, what breading/batter and spices have you tried that worked very well? Do you bake or fry them? What temperature and for how long? If you fry them, please don't tell me they are done when they float, because I know this. Also, do you have any helpful tips?

Awww, man. So, I've been fiddling around with making different versions of mozzarella sticks. Here's what I decided to use as coating because it's a sick style of chips crushed & spiced to my liking:
41MfHmrG-ZL._SY300_.jpg

A crazy delicious combination. However, the colour is a bit overwhelming for my fingers & oil.

Here is a different idea. Go to the super market and get frozen puff pastry sheets. You need eggs, fine grated cheese, your favourite seasonings and herbs. Now you take one sheet of pastry, whip 1 egg and brush egg on the whole top of the pastry sheet. Now sprinkle the fine graded cheese on top of the egg covered sheet. Now sprinkle the lot with your preferred seasoning. Take a pastry wheel and roll the cheese gently to make it stick to the egg and pastry. Now cut the pastry in to strips or triangles. Place the strips or triangles on a baking tray and place it in to a pre heated oven. Bake by about 180 degrees until cheese is melted and pastry is golden brown. The baking time is about 10 minutes. I hope this will work for you. They are very tasty and popular amongst my guests.

Buy string cheese and use that for the cheese sticks as it works the best. I like to coat mine in a mixture of Panko crumbs, flour, and seasonings. Deep fry them, but be careful and watch them close so they don't burst in the fryer.

Cheese sticks? That's an interesting one. I am wondering if we are thinking of the same thing as it's the easiest and in my case the one of the unhealthiest things I can pick up just about everywhere. I love them but I try to stay away.

You're talking about deep fried mozzarella sticks?

I would say the two most important things you need to be sure of are that they go into the fryer completely frozen, and make sure you are cooking in oil that is up to temperature first, like around 375 degrees (also make sure you're cooking in enough oil so it doesn't drop in temperature too much and completely covers the cheese sticks. A deep fryer works best.)

If they are not frozen, the breading will break open and the cheese will leak out all into the oil. Also the breading itself will come out really greasy.

Every restaurant I've ever worked at that sold them bought them pre-made frozen. I guess if you wanted to make them from scratch, I would just coat them in flour, then dip them in an egg wash, then into some seasoned panko. Make sure everything is adhered well and place them on a tray in the freezer until frozen completely. Overnight would probably be best, but at least a few hours until they are hard.

I have never made cheese sticks so now I am intrigued. I have had them at restaurants for an appetizer but just never thought of making them myself. I am liking everybody ideas and suggestions so I just may have to give these a try at home!

I have never made cheese sticks so now I am intrigued. I have had them at restaurants for an appetizer but just never thought of making them myself. I am liking everybody ideas and suggestions so I just may have to give these a try at home!
You'll never leave the kitchen!

In my mother country they cook what they called cheese stick roll and serve it as an appetizer. All you have to do is to slice the cheese like sticks then wrap it in a spring roll wrapper that you can buy already made in the supermarket. Then deep fry it. Then make a mixture of mayo and ketchup for the dipping sauce. If you want to make a twist you can add together with the cheese finger green pepper without the seeds before you wrap it. It is so simple and easy and it taste good!

Ooh, this is a dangerous thread. I haven't had these in quite a while, and now I'm getting hungry. I'd like to try @ReadmeByAmy's recipe, but I'm having difficulty locating spring roll wrappers nearby. I might have to order some off the internet, or resort to using another recipe, but that one really appeals to me.

Awww, man. So, I've been fiddling around with making different versions of mozzarella sticks. Here's what I decided to use as coating because it's a sick style of chips crushed & spiced to my liking:
41MfHmrG-ZL._SY300_.jpg

A crazy delicious combination. However, the colour is a bit overwhelming for my fingers & oil.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. They go perfectly with cheese! If not this one, I suggest you go look for Japanese breading :)

We do our own cheese sticks during parties to serve as appetizers. Guests love to nibble on the newly fried cheese sticks that is served with the initial drinks. Our recipe is this simple: spring roll wrapper and strips of cheese. My sister-in-law would add thin slices of bell pepper for flavoring but in our house, it is that simple wrapper and cheese that is fried (pepper is against the acid reflux of my husband). Just take note that cheese sticks of this variety is best eaten within 30 miinutes after cooking otherwise the taste suffers although still edible and palatable. Oh, I forgot that there is a dip for that - a mix of ketchup, soy sauce, sugar and corn starch that you boil for 1 minute.

I wrap frozen mozzarella string cheese in bacon and deep fry it in coconut oil. Absolutely delicious!
I also take frozen balls of cheddar cheese dipped in a beer batter and fry them up. Still all the cheesy goodness but in a smaller portion. So you're still sinning just not as bad.

I'm best friends with a cheese addict and she's done a variety of cheese dishes over the years for our parties. From fondue to indian dishes with paneer. When I asked her about cheese sticks, she tells me that some cheeses might disintegrate when fried crispy. She tells me she prefers cheeses like Halloumi (sp?) or even paneer simply because they are hardy cheeses and wont easily melt away but they do get soft enough. Being the foodie that she is, she recommends chimichurri sauce for dipping!

I have to say though. I have tried her chimichurri sauce. It's pretty good. I will see about this combination in our upcoming get together in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom