Malt Vinegar Usage

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
7:15 AM
I noticed malt vinegar in the hypermarket today. It may have been on sale for years in Finland but I've never used it (just balsamicos, white vinegar and apple wine/cider vinegar). This was the first time it caught my eye. It's strange that malt vinegar is not used commonly here although we have a large barley malthouse and a couple of breweries even in this middle-sized (120 000 inhabitants) town. The same issue is discussed on some Finnish cooking-related discussion boards/platforms: the use of malt vinegar is seen as a "British only" custom like "mämmi" (black rye-syrup-bitter orange pudding) in Finland. The bottle etiquette (and a quick Google search) told me that it's used mostly in Anglophone countries as a french fries/chips seasoning. CookingBites search indicates that it's commonly used in e.g. pickling, chutneys, mint sauce and brown sauce too. How do you use it? Does it work in bread making/as a dough seasoning - would you recommend to try it in a Christmassy "sweet'n'sour" flatbread (focaccia derivative) with buttermilk, syrup and spices? It seems presumable that a fermented barley product like malt vinegar would be great in baking/bread making.
malt.jpg

Public domain image

I use it on chips/fries. However, my no-knead bread recipe I like calls for beer and white vinegar, and I think I'll try the malt vinegar next time. I also think it'd be a great addition to a loaf.

I use imported malt vinegar purely for fish and chips. Sarsons is ฿440.00/litre; Heinz is ฿220.00/litre. I use local distilled white vinegar (฿30.00/litre) for pickling or for mint sauce. Imported Balsamic vinegar is around ฿360.00/litre.

Last edited:
I also use malt vinegar on fish and chips. The vinegar I use most is apple cider vinegar.

CD

It seems presumable that a fermented barley product like malt vinegar would be great in baking/bread making.
Sounds doable. Never tried it. Am very fresh to basic baking even...like the image of it. There is German rye bread with distinct grains in it, medium strong sweet&sour taste as far as I remember,available in supermarkets here. I love it toasted ...imagine it would go well with fish pates or other pates...cheese probably...

So interesting to read it goes with fish&chips!

Vinegars, I rarely buy them, I prefer lemon juice in my salads. Used red wine vinegar to pickle eggs and veges recently...The white distilled one for cleaning.

Will you create a recipe with it?

I use malt vinegar for mint sauce, tomato sauce, plum sauce and home made Mayo.
White vinegar for gerkins/pickles, pickled curry onions. We use about 6 to 8 litres each a year.

Russ
Woah, that's a lot. I use plenty of white vinegar or balsamic as well but much less. I may use just sweetened lemon juice and dill for "quickly pickled" cucumbers/gherkins. I still haven't got used to malt vinegar - or used it in baking.

Back
Top Bottom