Recipe Manchester Pudding (to eat Cold).

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
12:25 PM
I'll be raked over the coals for this one. You will however notice it's served cold.

Ingredients:

3 oz. of grated bread,
½ pint of milk, a strip of lemon-peel,
4 eggs, 2 oz. of butter,
sugar to taste,
puff-paste, jam,
3 tablespoonfuls of brandy.

Mode:
Flavour the milk with lemon-peel, by infusing it in the milk for½ hour; then strain it on to the bread crumbs, and boil it for 2 or 3 minutes; add the eggs, leaving out the whites of 2, the butter, sugar, and brandy; stir all these ingredients well together; cover a pie-dish with puff-paste, and at the bottom put a thick layer of any kind of jam; pour the above mixture, cold, on the jam, and bake the pudding for an hour. Serve cold, with a little sifted sugar sprinkled over.

JH Walsh, 1859

I found this also from the same author. I have to make it!

Original Receipt from 'The English Cookery Book' edited by JH Walsh Walsh 1859;

Manchester Pudding.
A pint of new milk boiled, three ounces of bread crumbs stewed in the boiling milk, and the grated rind of a lemon, are to be sweetened to the taste with lump sugar; then add the yolks and whites of four eggs, and three ounces of butter melted. Line a dish with a puff-paste, cover the bottom with preserve or marmalade, pour the pudding into it, and one hour will bake it.

I found this also from the same author. I have to make it!

Original Receipt from 'The English Cookery Book' edited by JH Walsh Walsh 1859;

Manchester Pudding.
A pint of new milk boiled, three ounces of bread crumbs stewed in the boiling milk, and the grated rind of a lemon, are to be sweetened to the taste with lump sugar; then add the yolks and whites of four eggs, and three ounces of butter melted. Line a dish with a puff-paste, cover the bottom with preserve or marmalade, pour the pudding into it, and one hour will bake it.
Same person, just that bit more given in the version posted.

Back
Top Bottom