Retro Recipe Manchester Pudding

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:39 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I forget what it was I was looking at, but I came across this recipe for Manchester Pudding from the 1850's. I know I started off with Manchester Tarts and followed a link, but I can't quite recall what I had looked up to end up at the tarts. http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/manchesterpudding.htm
When I get back from my few days away, I may be tempted.

Ingredients
1 pint of milk
3oz breadcrumbs
1 lemon, rind of
Sugar, to taste
4 eggs
3oz butter, melted
Puff pastry, enough to line a dish.
Jam or marmalade (your choice but typically red)

Method.
  1. Preheat your oven... Query what temp or if indeed that important.
  2. Line a suitable sized dish with puff pastry.
  3. Put a layer of jam over the bottom of the pastry (so not up the sides).
  4. Bring the milk to the boil, add the breadcrumbs and lemon rind and simmer (query how long) until the breadcrumbs are stewed (!).
  5. Sweeten to taste with the sugar
  6. Then add the eggs (beaten) and the melted butter to the mixture and mix in well.
  7. Pour the batter into the pastry case
  8. Now bake for an hour until set.

Was this recipe made for your hubby (who might be non-vegan...sorry, but I can't recall), or did you use almond milk or something similar? Regardless, it does sound tasty.
When I get back from my few days away, I may be tempted.

It's an old Victorian recipe, I've not had my holiday yet, so not yet made it. I'll just substitute as needed and ensure the puff pastry is vegan.

That does sound nice. I went through a stage of trying out old English recipes likes Sussex pond pudding, Kentish Pudding Pie, and PROPER trifle (everyone makes war trifle now).

From the list of lost foods you linked to I've only cooked and eaten cottage loaf. I'm going to show the list to my parents and see if they have tried any of the others.

ETA: Reading again, I have had wild boar, and I['m pretty sure I have had Purslane (I'll check with mum). Not had suet cake but I have tried lardy cake.

I would add cow's foot jelly to this list.

Last edited:
That recipe sounds very familiar and reminds me of something my Mum used to make. She used to make most things like that once the roast had gone in the oven and then bung them in the bottom of her [gas] oven while the roast was cooking, if that gives a clue about cooking temperature.

That recipe sounds very familiar and reminds me of something my Mum used to make. She used to make most things like that once the roast had gone in the oven and then bung them in the bottom of her [gas] oven while the roast was cooking, if that gives a clue about cooking temperature.
Given the date, I was reckoning either the hot oven of a word fired aga or the cool one. I'm actually thinking the cool one because an hour in the hot one seems an awful lot for a pudding but I guess it depends on the size of the vessel used.
I'm trying it out later this week, so I'll let you know. I was probably going to win on 140C and see how it went.

Given the date, I was reckoning either the hot oven of a word fired aga or the cool one. I'm actually thinking the cool one because an hour in the hot one seems an awful lot for a pudding but I guess it depends on the size of the vessel used.
I'm trying it out later this week, so I'll let you know. I was probably going to win on 140C and see how it went.
Probably somewhere round about that. Mum used to use Gas Mark 5 for cooking the roast, and the bottom of the oven would have been quite a lot cooler.

Back
Top Bottom