March Holidays: 17th, 19th St. Joseph´s & 29th Holy Week

What are your plans for Holy Week, Thursday the 29th - April 2nd ?

• Home With Family

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Spring Break Trip

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Working

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Francesca

Local time
1:02 AM
With Spring just one month away, and several holidays on the calendar:

17th: Saint Patrick´s
19th: Saint Joseph´s and in Spain, San José and Father´s Day and in Italy, San Giuseppe ..
21st: The Spring Solstice ..
29th: Holy Thursday
30th: Good Friday
30th March - April 7th: The Passover Holiday ..
April 1st: Easter Sunday
April 8th: The Eastern Orthodox Easter ( Romania, Russia amongst other countries )
April 8th: Greek Easter ( The Greek Orthodox Easter )

Any plans for Spring Break / Holy Week and the holidays in between ?

Last edited:
No holidays in the UK until Easter :ohmy: which this year falls on 30th Mar (Good Friday) and 2nd Apr (Easter Monday). I haven't thought yet about Easter food. I usually make Hot Cross Buns. I think St Patricks Day is celebrated in the USA (and Ireland of course).

I'm not familiar with the term 'Holy Week' and had to look it up!

Last edited:
Holy week we are on call to look after nephew whose baby brother/sister will be due so we may have him over while his mum and dad are at the hospital.

I always make hot cross buns (gf obviously) for good friday. Apparently there is a shortage of raisins/saltanas this year so I might have to try chocolate or cranberries in the buns.

Simmel cake I've been meaning to make for years so might do that. Not sure about easter day. Probably a roast if my parents come over.

We used to have fish on good Friday when I was a child.

Now, St Patrick 's day brings back memories of working in London and joining Irish colleagues for guiness after work.

Saint Patrick´s Day is not a bank holiday in Spain, however, it is celebrated by the Irish Expatriates living in Spain and all the Irish Pubs (thousands of them) are packed full and celebrating .. In Green ..

Holy Week: Holy Thursday and Good Friday are Bank Holidays in Spain and Easter Sunday is a big family & dear ones day.

Though many people travel for these 4 days and the school systems are closed all week, for Spring Break ..

Saint Joseph´s Day, March 19th is a legal bank holiday in Spain as well, and Father´s Day .. It is also the time of the Valencian Festivities called "Las Fallas" (the flames or fires) where in there are huge celebrations dating back hundreds of years ..

Planning a get away for Holy Week ( March 27th or 28th - April 3rd ) .. However, have not yet decided where ..

What is the significance of the 8th April? I am dumb regarding anything religious. Or perhaps you could say 'allergic'.

April 8th is the Greek and The Eastern Orthodox Easter Holday .. ( Greece, Romania, Russia amongst other countries ) ..

Last edited:
St. Patrick's Day coming up reminds me of why my "to do" list keeps getting longer: I now feel obligated to make some corned beef, which must then mean that I bake some rye bread and mix up some Reuben sauce. I know: Reubens aren't Irish, but I'm not doing this to honor that part of my heritage (any more than all those idiots at the pub are honoring Ireland on the 17th). I'm doing it because I love the taste!

Could I do this some other time? Certainly. But, now that I've got the idea in my head, I can't imagine not making it. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom