1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Water (approx. 3/4 cup)

Tomato Sauce: 2 canned tomatoes
1/2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 cloves garlic (to taste)

Toppings: Grated parmesan cheese (to taste)
Shredded pieces mozzarella
Fresh basil leaves

Method

Make dough in usual way and allow to rise in an oiled/covered bowl until double in size (1-2 hours). Punch out any air and on a floured surface stretch out to desired pizza size and shape. Spoon on tomato sauce and spread thinly with back of spoon, leaving a crust around the outside of dough. Grate on some parmesan, then place pieces of shredded mozarella over the sauce and parmesan. Spread a handful of basil leaves over the top, then lightly brush some olive oil over the dough crust. Cooke pizza for 7-8 minutes in an oven preheated to it's hottest temperature (mine was 250 degrees celsius). Remove from oven, and sprinkle some more fresh basil over the pizza.

Link to the rather long video:
View: https://youtu.be/6W3uth-47lw

View attachment 36649

Ingredients (For One Pizza)

Dough: 1 cup plain flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Water (approx. 3/4 cup)

Tomato Sauce: 2 canned tomatoes
1/2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 cloves garlic (to taste)

Toppings: Grated parmesan cheese (to taste)
Shredded pieces mozzarella
Fresh basil leaves

Method

Make dough in usual way and allow to rise in an oiled/covered bowl until double in size (1-2 hours). Punch out any air and on a floured surface stretch out to desired pizza size and shape. Spoon on tomato sauce and spread thinly with back of spoon, leaving a crust around the outside of dough. Grate on some parmesan, then place pieces of shredded mozarella over the sauce and parmesan. Spread a handful of basil leaves over the top, then lightly brush some olive oil over the dough crust. Cooke pizza for 7-8 minutes in an oven preheated to it's hottest temperature (mine was 250 degrees celsius). Remove from oven, and sprinkle some more fresh basil over the pizza.

Link to the rather long video:
View: https://youtu.be/6W3uth-47lw

I like the variation with addition of grated Parmesan

There is also a version of Margherita that does not use tomato sauce, but rather thinly sliced tomatoes, which is the one I prefer. To me, and lots of others, the use of tomato sauce sauce makes it nothing more than cheese pizza. I also add a drizzle of freshly made garlic oil, also using thin slices (instead of shredded) fresh moz. To each his/her own! :D

Back
Top Bottom