Marinade dilemma...

caseydog

Local time
9:13 PM
I put some skirt steak in a ziplock bag late last night with a marinade that is mostly lime juice and soy sauce. The plan was to cook it over charcoal on the grill today, but the weather is being a PITA. It rains, the rain stops, then it rains again, and stops... I think you get the picture.

My question is, how long can I let this marinate before bad things happen to the meat? Right now, it is on about hour 15-ish? Skirt steak is not a delicate cut, but I don't know how far I can push it.

I'm thinking I may need to remove it from the marinade, pat it dry with some paper towels, and perhaps vacuum seal it until I can cook outside, which may not be until tomorrow.

CD

I put some skirt steak in a ziplock bag late last night with a marinade that is mostly lime juice and soy sauce. The plan was to cook it over charcoal on the grill today, but the weather is being a PITA. It rains, the rain stops, then it rains again, and stops... I think you get the picture.

My question is, how long can I let this marinate before bad things happen to the meat? Right now, it is on about hour 15-ish? Skirt steak is not a delicate cut, but I don't know how far I can push it.

I'm thinking I may need to remove it from the marinade, pat it dry with some paper towels, and perhaps vacuum seal it until I can cook outside, which may not be until tomorrow.

CD

Personally, I'd leave it. 24 hours shouldn't be too long for a skirt steak.

It may get saltier as it sits in the soy sauce..but should still be ok..your call

I'm more concerned about the juice of six limes I squeezed into this, and the acid in that juice. That's a good thing with a tough cut like skirt steak, but does it go from good to bad at some point?

I don't know. :scratchhead:

CD

I'm thinking I could dump out the excess marinade, but leave it in the ziplock bag until tomorrow. That way it is not soaking in marinade, but still kept moist.

What do y'all think?

CD

I'm thinking I could dump out the excess marinade, but leave it in the ziplock bag until tomorrow. That way it is not soaking in marinade, but still kept moist.

What do y'all think?

CD

If you want to but I think it will be fine as it is. There is certainly no need to vacuum seal it if you are cooking it tomorrow.

I used a blended kiwi to marinate some moose meat once and left it too long..The meat literally fell apart before I could cook it..it shredded like it had been in a show cooker for a day or two..

If you want to but I think it will be fine as it is. There is certainly no need to vacuum seal it if you are cooking it tomorrow.

Yeah, that vacuum sealing is probably overkill.

BTW, it is raining again. It is even worse in Houston. Every time my sister leaves her house, she get's pounded by rain.

CD

I used a blended kiwi to marinate some moose meat once and left it too long..The meat literally fell apart before I could cook it..it shredded like it had been in a show cooker for a day or two..

Yeah, I've seen that happen, although not with moose. I think it was Texas jackelope* meat.

CD

* Google it.

What do y'all think?

CD

This or even pat dry lightly. We've only ever let skirt steak marinade for 20 hours or so at most.

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt says he's tested marinading skirt streak from 3 to 36 hours, and finds 10 hours to be the sweet spot, but even at 36 hours, people enjoyed the finished char-grilled fajitas.

Anyway, I poured the excess marinade out at about 12 hours, and have the meat wrapped in the ziploc bag until I fire up the grill today.

Thanks for all the input. :okay:

CD

Back
Top Bottom