Recipe Marinated Grilled Shrimp (Tandoori Jhinga)

mjd

Veteran
Local time
3:17 AM
MJ's notes - I'm allergic to shellfish so I've never had this but I've made it for others. Got good reviews.

Marinated Grilled Shrimp (Tandoori Jhinga)

404ad5be-ad9e-4d0c-940b-99f7f0670b01.jpg

Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
Servings: 4
Source: Bettycrocker.com Marinated Grilled Shrimp (Tandoori Jhinga)

INGREDIENTS

tablespoon cumin seed

teaspoon cardamom seeds, (removed from pods)

1/2 teaspoon whole cloves

1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns

dried bay leaves

three-inch cinnamon sticks, broken

lb uncooked extra-large shrimp, peeled (tails left on), deveined

1/4 cup plain regular or fat-free yogurt

tablespoons lime juice (1 lime)

tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro

medium cloves garlic, finely chopped

teaspoon ground cumin

teaspoon Bishop's weed (ajwain)

DIRECTIONS

Heat ungreased 6-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Place all garam masaala ingredients in skillet; roast 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until seeds crackle, spices turn one shade darker and the mixture has a nutty, sweet aroma. Transfer to a bowl; cool 3 to 5 minutes.

Place roasted spice blend in spice grinder. Grind until mixture looks like the texture of finely ground pepper. Store in airtight jar at room temperature for up to 1 month; beyond that, it will start to lose its full flavor. Makes 1/4 cup spice blend; use 1 teaspoon for this recipe.

In medium bowl, mix 1 teaspoon of the garam masaala and all remaining shrimp ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes to blend flavors but no longer than 24 hours.

Brush grill rack with vegetable oil. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Thread 4 shrimp on each of four 10-inch bamboo or metal skewers, leaving space between each shrimp. Cover and grill over high heat 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until shrimp are pink and firm.

NOTES

EXPERT TIPS:

Bishop’s weed, related to the cumin and caraway family, produces a seed used in cooking. The flavor is quite different from its relatives, with a bitter edge resembling dried thyme. It is considered to aid digestion and is usually added to lentils, beans and peas.

No Bishop’s weed? You can use dried thyme leaves, or combine 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, 1 teaspoon celery seed and 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper and use the same amount of this mixture as the Bishop’s weed called for in the recipe.

Instead of making Garam Masaala, you can purchase it already blended in East Indian markets or many supermarkets.

Soak bamboo skewers in water at least 30 minutes before using to prevent burning.

Broiling Directions: Set oven control to broil. Brush broiler rack with vegetable oil. Place skewered shrimp on rack in broiler pan. Broil with tops 2 to 3 inches from heat 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until shrimp are pink and firm.

MJ's notes - I'm allergic to shellfish so I've never had this but I've made it for others. Got good reviews.

This does look tasty. But, as someone who's allergic, are there any issues for you during the preparation? Do you need to wear gloves or eye protection, or is your allergy only if you ingest it?

Back
Top Bottom