Marvellous Mushrooms

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:27 PM
440px-Champignons_Agaricus.jpg

Agaricus bisporus or white mushroom

The current CookingBites Recipe Challenge chosen ingredient is the Mushroom. And what a wonderful versatile thing it is!

My daughter doesn't like mushrooms. Its the texture, she says. This is rather annoying, as she is vegetarian and mushrooms have long been regarded as vegetarian 'meat'. However, if I chop them up in a bean burger or a bake she is quite happy to eat them and there is no doubt that they can add a wonderful savoury taste to vegetarian dishes.

There are more than 10,000 varieties of mushrooms, each with its own unique taste and shape. But all of them contain a compound called 1-octen-3-one, responsible for the distinctive musky, earthy flavour. Despite their high water content (over 90%) they are surprisingly robust and can stand up to long cooking without disintegrating. They can vary considerably in texture and flavour but generally speaking they work well with strong, salty and pungent flavours such as bacon, cheese, soy sauce, garlic.

Mushrooms are a perfect food if you are trying to lose weight and they are good for you! They are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten free, and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium (8%), riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D. For a more detailed breakdown of the nutritional content see here: http://www.cairnsmushrooms.com.au/nutrition.html

Agaricus bisporus is the most widely recognized, and most cultivated mushroom, variously known as common mushroom, button mushroom, white mushroom, cultivated mushroom, table mushroom, Parisian mushroom or champignon mushroom. These white mushrooms account for 90% of mushroom sales in the US. Sadly, they are the least flavourful of mushrooms. When immature and brown, the Agaricus bisporus is variously known as the Swiss brown mushroom, Roman brown mushroom, Italian brown, Italian mushroom, cremini or crimini mushroom, brown cap mushroom, or chestnut mushroom. These generally have more flavour than the white mushrooms. Left to grow large, Agaricus bisporus become the meaty Portabello (Portabella) mushroom, whose size, shape and pronounced taste make it an instant veggie burger or a vehicle for stuffings and toppings!

portabello.jpg

Portabello mushroom

Nowadays its fairly common to find Asian mushrooms in Western supermarkets, although they tend to be more expensive. The intriguing shapes and delicate flavour of these mushrooms make them a great favourite with Chefs. Increasingly we are also seeing selections of wild mushrooms in UK supermarkets. But the selection is nowhere near as good as that I found in the supermarket in Saumur, France on my visit last October. Here's a photo of some that I bought then:

DSCF2203.jpg

And here is a selection of Asian mushrooms:

Asian_mushrooms.jpg

Commercially cultivated Japanese edible mushroom species. Clockwise from left, enokitake, buna-shimeji, bunapi shemeji, king oyster and shiitake.

Preparation methods for mushrooms can include, grilling, frying, braising, roasting, stir-fry, pan fry, and sautéing, or you can serve them raw or marinated in salads or pickle them. You can make them into soups and sauces. They are truly a most wonderful and versatile ingredient. So please enter the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge with your recipes! Or search the internet or your cookery books and post mushroom recipes which you think we might like (please cite source).

Last edited:
This is very informative. I am sure I won't be able to find many around here but I will search to see what I can find. Either way I am still going to find some recipes to share here with The CookingBites Recipe Challenge team.

By the way, do you have all of these on hand? I checked some images and some left me quite intrigued. Is this one here edible?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPDGnUyMuFi4Se4-8ULjFjqH1Lm2VYeWylJIu3rR3KVlURakvNxg.jpg

Last edited:
This is very informative. I am sure I won't be able to find many around here but I will search to see what I can find. Either way I am still going to find some recipes to share here with The CookingBites Recipe Challenge team.

By the way, do you have all of these on hand? I checked some images and some left me quite intrigued. Is this one here edible?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPDGnUyMuFi4Se4-8ULjFjqH1Lm2VYeWylJIu3rR3KVlURakvNxg.jpg

I can't get all the mushrooms listed in my post. In the UK, we can easily get the basic white mushroom, chestnut mushrooms (they are the slightly older white ones) and Portabello (the elderly white mushrooms). The other more exotic ones are available in supermarkets at a price - but not all of them, all the time!

The one pictured in your post may be edible. It looks like a tree mushroom - but I'd never advise based on a picture. Some mushrooms are poisonous! And some tree mushrooms are edible and some aren't!

These all look very nice, I do think mushrooms are appealing to the eye, although I don't like them myself. I might have to try some other varieties since I found an organic shop that sells a wide variety. We have some growing in the garden, but I don't know if they are edible.

Ahh, mushrooms! Another thing I've slowly become more accustomed to since living here! A range of Asian mushrooms sneak their way into dishes, ramen broths, and tempura - so you have to learn to love them here!
I am hoping I can learn to love them here as well but I first have to find them.

I am really excited about this challenge. As many of you know mushrooms are my favorite vegetables. I could eat them every day. There are so many different varieties and so many things that you can do with them. I am looking forward to seeing and trying out the recipes that everybody posts for the challenge.

I am not generally a fan of mushrooms, but I will eat them because I know they are good for you, low in calories, and can be very delicious if prepared correctly. In fact I heard a doctor on TV say that they can help reduce the risk of breast cancer, so, I started gobbling some down immediately. Try them sautted in a pan with olive oil and butter and salt and pepper. They are quite tasty.

Back
Top Bottom