Recipe Mascarpone brownies

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:56 PM
Mascarpone Brownies (adapted from Food Network Canada)

Very, very, very rich, moist, fudgy and chocolaty. I've been considering mixing a tiny bit of instant espresso powder, maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp, in with the flour and cocoa powder mixture. I may do this next time.

I meant to try to get a prettier picture, but forgot and then forgot to post this one. At least it shows how moist and fudgey they are.

Brownies
1 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened at room temperature
3 large eggs, at room-temperature, beaten together in a small bowl
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Ganache
5 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
5 tablespoons whipping cream
2-1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 325F and grease or parchment paper an 8x8 pan. Set aside.

In a microwave-safe mixing bowl melt butter in microwave. Stir in chocolate and mix until combined (a few additional seconds in the microwave may be needed). You can also do this over a double boiler. Add sugar to chocolate/butter mixture and stir until combined. Heat for an additional 30 seconds on high, remove and stir until it looks shiny. It will still be a bit grainy. With a whisk, add marscarpone, vanilla, eggs, and mix until smooth. Sift flour, salt and cocoa into mixture with a sieve and stir just until combined, making sure to scrape all sides of the bowl. Mixture will be rather light in texture, instead of dense and heavy like many brownie batters. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top to ensure even baking. Bake for 40-50 minutes (I start checking at 40 minutes) until tester comes out clean. Yes really, it needs to come out clean unlike most brownies. If needed, use the flat end of a potato masher or your heat-proof fingers to lightly tamp down the surface of the brownies while they are still warm. Do not squish, merely flatten any parts that might have raised more than others (usually the edges). This will help the ganache coat evenly. Leave brownies in pan and set on wire rack to cool.

While brownies are cooling, make ganache to pour over the top. In a microwave--safe bowl, heat butter and cream on medium power until butter is just melted in the microwave, then add chocolate, stirring until all lumps disappear. Immediately pour over warm brownies. Let cool completely. Placing them in the fridge will help you stay out of the pan until the ganache is set. Once chilled, a knife will cut through them cleanly. Clean the knife with a damp towel between cuts if you want a sharp look.

Last edited:
Mascarpone Brownies (adapted from Food Network Canada)

Very, very, very rich, moist, fudgy and chocolaty. I've been considering mixing a tiny bit of instant espresso powder, maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp, in with the flour and cocoa powder mixture. I may do this next time.

Photo to follow

Brownies
1 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened at room temperature
3 large eggs, at room-temperature, beaten together in a small bowl
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Ganache
5 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
5 tablespoons whipping cream
2-1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 325F and grease or parchment paper an 8x8 pan. Set aside.

In a microwave-safe mixing bowl melt butter in microwave. Stir in chocolate and mix until combined (a few additional seconds in the microwave may be needed). You can also do this over a double boiler. Add sugar to chocolate/butter mixture and stir until combined. Heat for an additional 30 seconds on high, remove and stir until it looks shiny. It will still be a bit grainy. With a whisk, add marscarpone, vanilla, eggs, and mix until smooth. Sift flour, salt and cocoa into mixture with a sieve and stir just until combined, making sure to scrape all sides of the bowl. Mixture will be rather light in texture, instead of dense and heavy like many brownie batters. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top to ensure even baking. Bake for 40-50 minutes (I start checking at 40 minutes) until tester comes out clean. Yes really, it needs to come out clean unlike most brownies. If needed, use the flat end of a potato masher or your heat-proof fingers to lightly tamp down the surface of the brownies while they are still warm. Do not squish, merely flatten any parts that might have raised more than others (usually the edges). This will help the ganache coat evenly. Leave brownes in pan and set on wire rack to cool.

While brownies are cooling, make ganache to pour over the top. In a microwave--safe bowl, heat butter and cream on medium power until butter is just melted in the microwave, then add chocolate, stirring until all lumps disappear. Immediately pour over warm brownies. Let cool completely. Placing them in the fridge will help you stay out of the pan until the ganache is set. Once chilled, a knife will cut through them cleanly. Clean the knife with a damp towel between cuts if you want a sharp look.

Sounds delish

Russ

Oh, I forgot to add, I cut down on the butter to 3/4 cups, and the sugar to about 7/8 cup and added 1/2 tsp of instant espresso to both the brownie batter and the ganache. Doing that didn't make much of a difference, although I think next time I will check at 35 minutes instead of 40.

Back
Top Bottom