Ramana

Local time
10:31 AM
Website
easytocookrecipesforbeginners.blogspot.com
Masoor Dal malka is an Indian pulse that goes very well with main course. It is very easy to prepare and when one perfects the recipe they enjoy the preparation and can even modify the recipe according to their taste. This dal goes well with rice, butter naan and other breads.

step-8-masoor-malka.jpg

Masoor Malka dal or red whole polished lentils have a pretty reddish-orange colour in its dried form, but turns yellow when cooked. Masoor lentils are basically the split lentils without skin, red lentils cook relatively quickly. Masoor dals are of two varieties one is black Masoor also known as masoor sabut or brown lentil or black lentils and other one is Masoor Malka or Red lentil. In India people relish eating dals (pulses) like, Toor, Moong, Urad, Makhni and Chana dal. However, Red Malka Masoor is very simple to make and can be cooked within 15 minutes to 20 minutes. One can also temper it with ghee and season with cumin seeds on top which makes it even tastier.

Ingredients
1 cup red masoor malka
5 cups of water
¼ cup moong dal
3-4 tomatoes (chopped)
1 green chilli (finely chopped)
Salt – to taste
Ghee/ oil - 2tbsp
Curry leaves – 10 to 15 leaves
Cumin seeds – 1tsp to 1.5tsp
Turmeric powder – 1tsp to 1.5tsp
Black pepper powder- 1tsp to 3tsp
Coriander for seasoning

Tempering Ingredients (optional)
Ghee - 2 tbsp.
1 red chili - broken
2 garlic clove
¼ mustard seeds (optional)
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 pinch asafoetida

Preparation
1). Wash the lentils thoroughly under running water and keep it aside.

2) Heat the pressure cooker and put 2tbsp ghee/ oil.

3) Put 1 to 1.5 tsp. cumin seeds, let them splatter for few seconds and then put chopped green chilies and curry leaves.

4) Put tomatoes and a little salt so that tomatoes get cooked fast.

5) Pour the washed dal and 4-5 cups of water.

6) Put turmeric powder and black pepper powder. Add a little more salt and stir well. Close the pressure cooker lid.

7) After one whistle let switch off the gas stove and let the pressure release on its own (some areas may require to release the pressure manually depending on water quality).

8) Open the lid and check if the pulses are cooked properly. If the lentil is thick and hard add more water and bring it to boil.

9) Check the pulses again and taste. Add more salt if needed.

10) Garnish with coriander and serve hot. Enjoy it with rice, naan or any other dish you like.

11) Tempering is optional as many people eat it without tempering as it tastes equally good without it.

Tempering
1) Heat oil/ ghee in shallow serving spoon and heat it.

2) Add red chili, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, 2 cloves garlic, and a pinch asafoetida and pour it over the dal and close the pressure cooker lid for 1-2mins to allow the flavour to be soaked by the pulses.

3) Enjoy your Masoor malka dal.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks good! Do you use whole moong dal, or split moong dal?
My understanding is that dal actually means split (usually but not always skinned). Sabut means whole, so given they said 'moong dal', that is the mung/moong bean and dal is the split version. Sabut Mung would be whole mung beans. So I'd be using a skinned spilt small yellow lentil (mung beans are yellow inside).

I usually use this site Indian Dals Names - Vegan Richa as my reference though it's only a brief guide.

My understanding is that dal actually means split (usually but not always skinned). Sabut means whole, so given they said 'moong dal', that is the mung/moong bean and dal is the split version. Sabut Mung would be whole mung beans. So I'd be using a skinned spilt small yellow lentil (mung beans are yellow inside).

I usually use this site Indian Dals Names - Vegan Richa as my reference though it's only a brief guide.
Hi SatNavSaysStraightOn moong dhuli means split and skinned.

Back
Top Bottom