Meat lookalikes

Duck59

Guru
Local time
2:57 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
I have to concede that I am not a fan of all of those vegetarian foods that are dressed up to look like meat (veggie mince, things that look like lumps of chicken, etc.). The one exception I'd make is veggie sausages, which I rather like (or at least some of the varieties). In general, though, I much prefer to eat things that look like vegetables (which usually means that they are vegetables).

Same here. I can't stand the 'meat' lookalikes and all that nonsense.
Veggie sausages, well I can understand that. What other shape can be make them - burger shaped? :laugh:
I pretty much only like 1 brand of sole called veggie sausages though! Caldron Foods and the Lincolnshire sausage. :hungry:

Im not sure what I think. After all, veggie burgers have been around in one form or another for a very long time. But I suppose they are not strictly speaking burgers but patties or cakes. I've do to rather like Quorn products that resemble chicken. I've used them for my daughter when making a chicken and leek pie. I just divide off the cooked leeks and make her a separate mini pie with Quorn and leeks. What I've never got on with is soya mince. To me, it tastes of virtually nothing and to be honest, if I'm looking for a substitute for mince, I would use puy lentils or beans in a recipe. Again, that's something I do quite often when I make lasagne or moussaka with meat for the rest of the family.

Last edited:
We have here an eatery called Bodhi that serves only vegetarian dishes. The first time we saw that in the food court of the nearby mall, it caught the fancy of my husband because its poster said they serve only healthy food. What's funny is we didn't know that they were meat lookalikes. We were both puzzled when eating the food because it tasted so different. We only got to know it when we went back to that particular food court and saw the small line under the store's name, i.e. vegetarian food only.

I haven't seen Cauldron's stuff for quite a while - I assumed they must have gone out of business. Wicken Fen (in the Scottish Borders) do quite nice veggie sausages. I don't like the 'standard' Linda McCartney ones much, but the red onion ones aren't too bad. I can't get my head - or my mouth - around these things that look like slices of bacon, though. What's the point?

I haven't seen Cauldron's stuff for quite a while - I assumed they must have gone out of business. Wicken Fen (in the Scottish Borders) do quite nice veggie sausages. I don't like the 'standard' Linda McCartney ones much, but the red onion ones aren't too bad. I can't get my head - or my mouth - around these things that look like slices of bacon, though. What's the point?
I bought some Cauldron sausages the other day.... Tesco's sell Cauldron products.

I not sure if the Morningstar brand is sold in the UK, but it is a popular vegetarian brand here in thee US, and most of their meat imitations are really good. We had the hamburgers before and they were spicy and delicious, much better than an actual hamburger in my opinion.

I have and WILL eat a veggie burger!! :wink:

I can't say I have eaten one of those. I've seen my husband and son eat it but I just can't. If I am going to eat vegetables I want to now it's just that. While it is not something I can speak of from a position of experience, I feel sure I won't like the look alike stuff.

I bought some Cauldron sausages the other day.... Tesco's sell Cauldron products.

I must be one of the few people in the UK that doesn't live near a Tesco. They closed down the only one that was anywhere near where I live. I can't say I was too perturbed, although my crocodile took it badly.

I must be one of the few people in the UK that doesn't live near a Tesco. They closed down the only one that was anywhere near where I live. I can't say I was too perturbed, although my crocodile took it badly.

Just did a quick check and Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Asda , Tesco and the Co-op all sell them. But I perhaps you don't live near those stores either! :(

I not sure if the Morningstar brand is sold in the UK, but it is a popular vegetarian brand here in thee US, and most of their meat imitations are really good. We had the hamburgers before and they were spicy and delicious, much better than an actual hamburger in my opinion.
No, we don't get them here. I looked them up and particularly liked the idea of the black bean burger. But then I saw this somewhat alarmist report: http://foodbabe.com/2012/07/02/think-twice-before-buying-this-type-of-burger/

I'm not saying I set much store by this but thought you may be interested.

Generally I much prefer eating actual vegetables, beans or lentils instead of finding a meat substitute. But, if I am using a meat substitute, I do really like the brand Quorn. I've never even tasted real meat before, since I grew up vegetarian, so I don't know how different Quorn is to actual meat. I quite like it, and it does pack in a good portion of protein per meal.

Back
Top Bottom