Meatless meals

I sometimes do meatless meals. Nothing wrong with it.
I sometimes get so tired of eating meat every day. Eggplant Parm, Rattatouli & veggie lasagna are just a few meatless meals that you can have. I've made them all. :wink:

So basically vegetarian meals? Do these have enough protein?
There is absoltuley no reason as to what any vegetarian or vegan diet should not have enough protein in it.
Please see this post on here regarding protein sources https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/getting-enough-protein-when-you-dont-eat-meat.3368/#post-16248
within it is this link http://www.care2.com/greenliving/25...4186764386462&action=expand_widget&id=9805651 which is where the info came from.
This website covered the benefits and drawbacks of both vegetable and animal source proteins http://www.livestrong.com/article/315856-animal-protein-vs-vegetable-protein/
The British Vegetarian Society give this https://www.vegsoc.org/basicnutrition

And just as an aside, missing out of your daily quota for protein (even if you were to get no protein whatsoever) for a single day, will not kill you.

I have been mixing it up and having meatless meals some nights and meat dishes on other nights. I have not worried about the protien component, or lack of protein, because as @SatNavSaysStraightOn pointed out, missing one day of protein is not going to kill you. I would start to worry about my content if I were to give up meat all together. We do meatless nights because the cost of meat is horrible these days and I do not buy it unless I get it on sale now. Last night we had grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup and nobody complained that there was no meat in our dinner.

I too got the error message when I tried to click on the Morning Star page.

Last night we had grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup
Even with that you will have a reasonable amount of protein because cheese is 1/4 protein in the UK but I think what is termed American Cheese is only 18%. However that is still a reasonable amount.
Not to mention that if you made it with wholemeal bread that is 13% protein.

Don't know what happened with the link but there are more ideas of ways to eat meatless, click on the menu to find more recipes.

People often worry about their nutrients too much in my opinion. As long as you are eating healthy foods, eating a variety of different foods, and make an effort to pick out the foods that are most natural and highest in nutrient, nature kind of takes care of itself and you will have the nutrients that you need. It is good to pay attention to what you are consuming, and the rough nutritional value of the food.

There are some tasty looking meals on there. I really like their products, my other half is veggie' and I eat veggie quite a bit and their burgers are a real treat.

Try this site https://www.morningstarfarms.com/home.html

Last edited by a moderator:
People often worry about their nutrients too much in my opinion. As long as you are eating healthy foods, eating a variety of different foods, and make an effort to pick out the foods that are most natural and highest in nutrient, nature kind of takes care of itself and you will have the nutrients that you need. It is good to pay attention to what you are consuming, and the rough nutritional value of the food.

I agree! If given the right tools (healthy food and exercise), our bodies take care of the rest.

I have been vegetarian for about 11 years now. I find ways to add protein to my daily diet such as eating a handful of raw nuts, putting a scoop of hemp protein in a glass of water, using plain, organic Greek yogurt in sauces, etc. All those little things add up to plenty of protein :)

Your body is also very good at telling you what it needs if you listen carefully to it. When you have a craving for an apple, nuts, or whatever the food is, it is because your body knows what nutrients are in that particular food, and it is telling you that it needs that nutrient. It is all about making sure that you just balance your meals each day. You can't survive solely on veggies or fruit, you have to balance your food intake out.

I sometimes do meatless meals. Nothing wrong with it.
I sometimes get so tired of eating meat every day. Eggplant Parm, Rattatouli & veggie lasagna are just a few meatless meals that you can have. I've made them all. :wink:
I didnt realize it until afterwards, but one of the best lasagnas I have ever tasted was meatless. She replaced the meat with spinach. And just like with spinach quiche, you can't tell its meatless.

I didnt realize it until afterwards, but one of the best lasagnas I have ever tasted was meatless. She replaced the meat with spinach. And just like with spinach quiche, you can't tell its meatless.
I make a lasagne which replaces the meat with brown lentils (hence packing more protein in). I cook vegetarian almost every night as my daughter is vegetarian (although she does eat fish). Sometimes its a vegetarian meal for everyone but other times I start with a basic sauce (tomato sauce, for example) then split some off into a separate pan. Then (as I am doing tonight) I add meat to one pan (tonight I'm making chilli with minced lamb) and a vegetarian alternative to the other pan (tonight its quorn mince). Then I'll add black beans to both pans.

I use this method for lots of different dishes, such as chicken and leek pie (soften the leeks first and make a sauce by adding flour then milk to the pan then divide the mixture up and add cooked chicken to one and cooked mushrooms to the other, then top with pastry.

Back
Top Bottom