Medtran, Hows Craig?

The hospital discharged him home Friday even though i didn't feel he (or me) was ready. He was still very confused, had/has a hellacious fungal rash in groin/bottom with excoriated skin and tiny blisters in a couple of areas that developed in the hospital because he wasn't kept clean properly when I wasn't there to see to it (though it's getting better especially since being home and getting proper care), and not the least that he could barely do sit to stand to sit transfers with 2 people helping him. Regardless, they sent him home via a transport service since we have steps into our home and there was no way he could navigate them. I wasn't able to get his meds filled Friday since I was already late to start work by the time he was settled, so he missed his night meds, which included the psych drug they had him on. Saturday, he was a good bit more clear. I picked up his meds Saturday, gave him his psych med that night and Sunday he was back to being more confused again. Not as bad as in hospital, but worse than saturday. So, I decided to stop the psych drug. I'm weaning it off because it's 1 of those you can't just stop. He's a lot clearer mentally, though still not amy where near normal, and he gets worse late afternoon/early evening until next morning, i.e. sundowning. We ended up in a screaming argument the other night because he kept insisting that he had started the grill earlier to cook dinner and I needed to go turn it off after I informed him what he smelled was me cooking dinner on the stove in the house. We have gone through something similar every night since, though without the screaming since I cut him off as soon as he starts and tell him the grill hasn't been lit, that he hasn't been out of the house in x days, that we've gone thru this before and aren't doing it again.

He also seems to.be stronger since he's off the psych med. It's still hard on me though with my preexisting back, hip, knee issues. He keeps trying to get up out of bed or chair by himself though, which is okay during day since I can catch him and stop him, but night is scary. He tried night before last and I didn't wake up until I heard a big thump and found his butt on the floor just after 1 a.m. Couldn't get him up so had to call fire rescue. No harm. They picked him up and sat him back on the bed. Now, we go through the mantra of him repeating back to me "I won't try to get out of bed. I will call you if I need to get up." He told me he didn't see me or know where I was, even though I was right next to him, was why he didn't wake me up.

Home health nursing came Monday for an initial eval. He's supposed to get that and PT for 2 weeks at home, then to outpatient. We're still waiting for PT, which is getting a bit ridiculous. I called yesterday and was told I'd get a call back. Guess I'll be calling again if they don't call shortly. I've been having him do what PT did in hospital, but I'm not a therapist and don't know how much to push.

I'm hopeful that he's getting better mentally since he's home. I was beginning to get really scared about that.

Last edited:
I'm hopeful that he's getting better mentally since he's home. I was beginning to get really scared about that.

Its really tough times for you. I'm glad there is at least something to be positive about. Familiar surroundings are bound to help - plus your good food on the menu. :okay:

medtran49 this is the fourth time I have been back to this thread. Each time I did not know what to say that would be any F'ing use to Craig and you. Harry just phoned and asked for an update so I read your post to him.

Thanks to you both. It's really nice to know all you guys are thinking of us.

He finally managed to get on the computer yesterday after a LOT of coaching and help. We discovered he's having a little bit of trouble reading, as well as being able to focus vision wise on the words on the screen. I had him read the posts in this thread out loud to me and he was pretty much done after that as was getting a headache. He says thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts.

He's getting stronger every day, which is good and bad because when he's not all there at night he's doing things like getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom, twice night before last. We had quite a discussion about that yesterday morning. PT showed up for the initial eval yesterday and she gave me a couple of tips because his bad leg muscles are atrophying a bit. Actual PT should start Monday.

Mentally, he's getting a little better every day, except at night, though he went a little longer yesterday than before.

Thanks for the updates. I know we're all thinking of you both every day.

The internet is great for staying in contact across miles and continents, but is sure stinks for actually being able to do some on-hands help. I hate the feeling of just looking in, so to speak, and not being able to do things like handle a shopping trip for you, mow the lawn, get the oil changed in your car...all that stuff I know that starts to slip once your focus is elsewhere.

Stay the course. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Saw ortho today. You can still see the fracture lines, and boy do they look scary, spiral fracture. But, he decided to leave him out of a cast and go to weight bear as tolerated with a rolling walker. Yea, not so much wheelchair wrangling now except out of house! He's got about a dime sized pressure sore on his heel though, so we need to work on getting that healed now.

Still gets confused though. He's so set on going back to work, but that involves wiring breathing air compressor control panels and putting machines together, and I'm not sure he's "there" enough to do that yet. He can sit on a rolling stool or in the wheelchair to do a lot of the wiring/building, but he's got to be there mentally. I need to start him on some cognitive exercises next.

I'm still tired, but hopefully he'll be able to start doing some cooking soon, though will have to sit in wheelchair for that. I'll just have to do set up. Did something really stupid last night. I've been using the wheelchair instead of my usual kitchen chair to do prep since the wheelchair needed the space where my chair usually goes. Dropped something, leaned over and stood up a bit to pick it up and when I sat back down the wheelchair rolled out from underneath me. Fell and landed on my behind. I've got herniated lumbar and cervical disks already and my lower lumbar area is just killing me now. Won't be doing that again. Otherwise, a bit more than regular arthritis aches and pains from helping him, and just tired mentally from everything, but I'm slowly getting caught up on things that were neglected for the last almost 7 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom