Medtran, Hows Craig?

He had some weird behavior episodes yesterday and today, hallucinations again and staring and not responding, as in me reminding him to put his foot on the pillow to elevate it (he has a pressure ulcer on his heel that was discovered when they took the cast off) and he just sat there and stared at me to the point where I finally got up from working and did it myself. We went through that several times because he kept moving his foot/leg off the pillow. Was about ready to find something and tie the pillow on his leg when he finally quit.

He had some weird behavior episodes yesterday and today, hallucinations again and staring and not responding, as in me reminding him to put his foot on the pillow to elevate it (he has a pressure ulcer on his heel that was discovered when they took the cast off) and he just sat there and stared at me to the point where I finally got up from working and did it myself. We went through that several times because he kept moving his foot/leg off the pillow. Was about ready to find something and tie the pillow on his leg when he finally quit.

Sounds like you still have your sense of humor. Good.

How's his appetite? Is he enjoying home cooked food after all that time in the hospital? Is his inner foodie working?

CD

Actually, no. I really was about to tie it to his leg after about the sixth or seventh time. You have no idea about how frustrating it is that he won't or can't follow directions and safety precautions because he either doesn't remember or is having 1 of the episodes and doesn't believe anything you say and calls it a bunch of BS and is being a bit belligerent. I've gotten almost to the point of giving him some of the psych med just to get him to be compliant a couple of times, though I don't want to do that because of the other things it does to him. It can be very hard to convince someone that what they are seeing is really not there, and we've had many discussions about things he sees or believes that are really not there or have not happened. Case in point, when I got in from taking the pugs out this afternoon, he informed me that he had turned off the pot of water he had put on to boil earlier, neither of which happened, and his walker was in the kitchen and he was in the recliner in front of the TV, meaning he had walked from the kitchen to the recliner without his walker, which is a big no, no. And, he didn't believe me about any of it.

He's eating pretty much of everything I fix for him, though not as much as prior to the accident.

Last edited:
Actually, no. I really was about to tie it to his leg after about the sixth or seventh time. You have no idea about how frustrating it is that he won't or can't follow directions and safety precautions because he either doesn't remember or is having 1 of the episodes and doesn't believe anything you say and calls it a bunch of BS and is being a bit belligerent. I've gotten almost to the point of giving him some of the psych med just to get him to be compliant a couple of times, though I don't want to do that because of the other things it does to him. It can be very hard to convince someone that what they are seeing is really not there, and we've had many discussions about things he sees or believes that are really not there or have not happened. Case in point, when I got in from taking the pugs out this afternoon, he informed me that he had turned off the pot of water he had put on to boil earlier, neither of which happened, and his walker was in the kitchen and he was in the recliner in front of the TV, meaning he had walked from the kitchen to the recliner without his walker, which is a big no, no. And, he didn't believe me about any of it.

He's eating pretty much of everything I fix for him, though not as much as prior to the accident.

So sorry to hear that. I can understand the temptation to give him the meds to make things easier, but I have to believe you are doing the right thing by not doing that.

I do hope you are looking at the posts in the "What made me smile recently" thread. Laughter really is good medicine. Doctor caseydog prescribes at least one good laugh per day. :D

CD

medtran49 this might give you a laugh, I went to my sons to watch his three kids about 10 days ago. They have an advent calendar up with three things in every pouch, some big you can see , some not. I took 1 item from two days. Never said a word. Kids wee here today and I asked if they enjoy their chochys. Mr 6 got the blame, the other two said he ate them,lol. They play tricks on me all the time. I'm surprised my son didn't know. :)

Russ

It can be very hard to convince someone that what they are seeing is really not there, and we've had many discussions about things he sees or believes that are really not there or have not happened.

I completely understand this. Its extremely frustrating. As you know my partner has dementia and he sees and believes things that are clearly not credible. The longest standing one is an auditory hallucination where he hears the birds saying things to him. He thinks its God talking to him through the birds. Nothing I can say can convince him that birds can't talk (don't mention parrots please!). I even recorded the bird sound he thinks is talking (a pigeon) and played it back to him. He said 'no that's not it, its not talking'.

There was a similar thing with my Dad who had dementia. He saw little men sitting under the tree in the garden. I remember taking a polaroid where he was pointing and showing it to him immediately. All he said was 'they are not there in the picture but they are still there under the tree'.

I'm not of course suggesting CraigC has dementia. I was relating to your situation. It goes to show just how convincing hallucinations can be. The brain is undoubtedly the most powerful organ in the body...

Better and better every day. He's walking pretty well now. A little slow mentally/confused only once in a while now, mostly late afternoon/evening. Next time we are running a local errand, I'm going to let him drive. No expressway driving yet or anytime in the near future, but we'll give local a try after driving around and parking in the clubhouse parking lot as a practice run. Also told him I want him to start cooking some next week, as I'm really getting tired of cooking.

Better and better every day. He's walking pretty well now. A little slow mentally/confused only once in a while now, mostly late afternoon/evening. Next time we are running a local errand, I'm going to let him drive. No expressway driving yet or anytime in the near future, but we'll give local a try after driving around and parking in the clubhouse parking lot as a practice run. Also told him I want him to start cooking some next week, as I'm really getting tired of cooking.

Hopefully he'll back on the forum, soon. :okay:

CD

Great news to hear, he's better than I thought he would be. Really great news, cooking is a relaxing time for me, I hope it's the same with Craig. Tell him we are all cheering/rooting for him.!!

Russ and Mrs Russ

Oh, he gets on from time to time and looks, but the computer is 1 if the things he is still having a good bit of trouble with and he gets frustrated.

The TV remote can also be a source of frustration if he pushes incorrect buttons and gets into a screen he can't figure how to get out of.

It also frustrates me when he brings up the guide and just sits there staring at it, and when he won't give the remote when the above happens so I can fix it since he can't see the buttons to read what they say without glasses now.

Back
Top Bottom