Memorial Day (US)/Spring Bank Holiday (UK)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
9:25 AM
Apart from its deeper meaning, Memorial Day in the US is the unofficial start of the summer season (bookended by Labor Day in September), and I know it also coincides with Spring Bank Holiday in the UK (not sure about other countries).

Here, a lot of people will hold family cookouts/barbecues to get the summer grilling started. I haven’t really thought about it yet, but I’m intending to fire up the grill on the back deck and cook…something out there.

How about others? Any special plans for the three-day weekend?

I believe I already posted elsewhere that some premium red meat will be grilled over charcoal at some point this weekend.

CD

It's reconciliation day in the Aussie capital, so we're off out for a walk around the Botanical Gardens. But in true Canberra style (and this is specific to Canberra only) all the cafes and restaurants will be closed on a public holiday, so we'll likely be taking a picnic!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a prime rib roast salted and sitting in the mini-fridge to expel some water and absorb some salt. It will go on the Weber Kettle tomorrow.

CD

Apart from its deeper meaning, Memorial Day in the US is the unofficial start of the summer season (bookended by Labor Day in September), and I know it also coincides with Spring Bank Holiday in the UK (not sure about other countries).

Here, a lot of people will hold family cookouts/barbecues to get the summer grilling started. I haven’t really thought about it yet, but I’m intending to fire up the grill on the back deck and cook…something out there.

How about others? Any special plans for the three-day weekend?

Next weekend is kings birthday weekend. I've only ever observed it as queens birthday.
Depending on sons plans to go away?
I'm certain his caravan and boat are parked up for winter so we will celebrate with family here.
It will involve a " good feed "

Russ

Heading to the grill:

IMG_4547.jpeg

Speaking of the grill - I took the cover off and opened the lid…and there was a 🤬 mouse living in it, nest and all. I’d just used the thing a few weeks ago.

Took the grates off, the innards out, threw out the nest, scraped everything, shop-vacced it all out, scrubbed everything, then put it back together and blasted the heat for about 20 minutes with the lid down, then another 15 with the lid up, so I’m hoping that killed all the mouse germs.

Speaking of the grill - I took the cover off and opened the lid…and there was a 🤬 mouse living in it, nest and all. I’d just used the thing a few weeks ago.

Took the grates off, the innards out, threw out the nest, scraped everything, shop-vacced it all out, scrubbed everything, then put it back together and blasted the heat for about 20 minutes with the lid down, then another 15 with the lid up, so I’m hoping that killed all the mouse germs.

You should have just skipped to the "blasted the heat stage" and had a crispy appetizer. :wink: :D

CD

You should have just skipped to the "blasted the heat stage" and had a crispy appetizer. :wink: :D

CD
The thing I was most worried about was getting some residual “mouse stank” on my food, because they crap and whizz right where they live.

The thing I was most worried about was getting some residual “mouse stank” on my food, because they crap and whizz right where they live.

I'm thinking 35 minutes of full blast heat should take care of any stank.

CD

Back
Top Bottom