Menu Planning

It is not typical of most people to plan out a week's or even, a month's meals.

Quite true - but there are quite a few folk here who plan their main meals on a weekly basis.

Personally, I love to improvise and cook more or less every main meal from scratch unless I'm very busy with something else (in which case its egg and oven chips!). I don't plan very much - I just buy a selection of ingredients and take it from there. I wouldn't really like to know what I'm going to be cooking and eating every day in advance. Boring!

What I do 'do' is plan recipes (often experimental) according to the ingredient for the current recipe challenge. I write quite a few pages of notes/diagrams/ideas and make sure I have the ingredient in question to hand.

And it's hard for an old grizzler like myself to deal with these guidelines as a single meal is puny by their definition. I'd be unhappy with anything, but a big meal. So, I eat a small breakfast and later in the day, one big meal, without a lot of snacking in between. I'm not a constant grazer.

I agree. The best thing to do is plan one main meal per day. Breakfast (if eaten) can be something healthy and simple (fruit/some type of unsweetened cereal or maybe eggs and toast). I always have eggs in stock.

apparently one can post a .doc file
don't get too excited - it's just a Word doc with a "table" - but it could be a template to use.
if you're interested I can post both the Weekly plan template and the Suggestions .doc - which you would be able to edit/etc.

we use near zero "prepared foods" with the possible exception definition of 'cream of xxx' soups.

cooking for one requires a mental discipline and desire. it's like way too easy to just give in and nuke a prepared "tv" dinner/entree. I was in the supermarket today - there was an elderly gentleman, clearly with some issues....and a full sized cart filled to near the brim with frozen entrees/meals - and a quart of milk....

using "cooking for one" you'll find a lot of hits. some are kinda' silly - like a one week menu.... okay, then what? same thing next week?
but others have a bit more
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/15050/everyday-cooking/cooking-for-one/
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/15054/everyday-cooking/cooking-for-one/quick-and-easy/
https://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/for-one
https://www.delish.com/cooking/g1843/dinner-for-one/?slide=8
tips&tricks
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/cooking-for-one/

This year we planned a weeks menu once. As we make 99% of our evening meals from scratch today is typical. It will probably be seafood as it's plentiful and cheap at present. We don't have or want a microwave here. In the 2+ years we have been here we have had one takeaway. It was the evening we arrived after driving from the UK. One of our neighbors then was a 4 star hotel, my wife got them to deliver.

We don't have or want a microwave here

I use mine a lot. But not for bought in 'ready meals'. Its useful for heating pre-cooked meals, for green vegetable cooking and quite a lot of other things. There is a thread elsewhere about this. There's a lot of prejudice in the cooking world against microwaves. Not that I'm accusing you of that Burt Blank! If a microwave is good enough for Ferran Adria its good enough for me.

I think they are brilliant if you live on your own and like mjd-lovescooking have days when you don't want to (or can't due to health reasons) spend time cooking over a hot stove. Ditto slow cookers (crock pots). One pot meals which can be quickly put together in the morning and left to cook all day are brilliant stress free solutions.

Every weekend we take some time to sit down together, have a look at the list of what we have in the freezer, and plan our evening meals for the week ahead. Hubby then writes it up on the blackboard so he knows what to get out of the freezer each day to defrost. We don't always stick to the meal plan - if we fancy something different, or we decide to walk to the pub or something then we'll just swap things around. But we do stick to it around 90% of the time.

I've always said that whilst I like cooking, the deciding what to cook is harder....especially if I'm tired after a full day's work. If I didn't work full time then I think it would be easier to go with the flow and just make it up as I go along, and actually that's what we usually do at weekends.

Not that I'm accusing you of that @Burt Blank! If a microwave is good enough for Ferran Adria its good enough for me.
Morning Morning,I understand that. We had one in the UK, it was very under used. The only thing it got some repetitive use for was steaming fish. I'm totally with you on the crock pot front. NB I have three methods of steaming fish, we don't need a fourth.

It's scorchio outside, the hottest day of the month. The plan for seafood is off, we bought 1 kg of langoustines then went to Purex who had a deal on turkey thighs, chicken thighs and wings. The turkey thigh we bought was in the monsta league 2.5 kg. She who must be obeyed wants spicy bbq sauced wings a thighs.
In the freezer know with what we bought today is. Langoustines, shrimp, hake, sword fish, black cod,scallops, minced veal, stewing veal, calfs liver, turkey liver, ducks, chickens, venison.

I use mine a lot. But not for bought in 'ready meals'. Its useful for heating pre-cooked meals, for green vegetable cooking and quite a lot of other things. There is a thread elsewhere about this. There's a lot of prejudice in the cooking world against microwaves. Not that I'm accusing you of that Burt Blank! If a microwave is good enough for Ferran Adria its good enough for me.

I think they are brilliant if you live on your own and like mjd-lovescooking have days when you don't want to (or can't due to health reasons) spend time cooking over a hot stove. Ditto slow cookers (crock pots). One pot meals which can be quickly put together in the morning and left to cook all day are brilliant stress free solutions.

Yes. It's been a life saver for me since my health decline. Prior to my divorce I only used a microwave to heat water and leftovers.

The only thing it got some repetitive use for was steaming fish.

Yes its good for that but very timing critical - so I generally cook fish in other ways.

have a look at the list of what we have in the freezer, and plan our evening meals for the week ahead.

I really ought to be doing this myself - but I get seduced by creative ideas I have and end up buying more ingredients before I use up what is in the freezer. Maybe I should make an effort to use up freezer stuff in planned menus for three days a week.

I really ought to be doing this myself - but I get seduced by creative ideas I have and end up buying more ingredients before I use up what is in the freezer. Maybe I should make an effort to use up freezer stuff in planned menus for three days a week.

This is my MAIN problem. For example, I just bought some Turmeric (ground). I go to put it in the pantry and find my spice bin and two more bottles of it! All I had to do was check first. I've been getting a little better with stuff in the fridge and freezer. I make a list of what I have and cross off things as I consume them. I have had less spoilage and fewer duplicates but it's still hard. On the other hand, grocery merchants make a killing from those of us that overbuy. ;-0

This is my MAIN problem. For example, I just bought some Turmeric (ground). I go to put it in the pantry and find my spice bin and two more bottles of it! All I had to do was check first. I've been getting a little better with stuff in the fridge and freezer. I make a list of what I have and cross off things as I consume them. I have had less spoilage and fewer duplicates but it's still hard. On the other hand, grocery merchants make a killing from those of us that overbuy. ;-0
You're stuck at home for a bit, right? Time to inventory your pantry, fridge, and freezer! :)

I do that every so often, though I'd be lying if I said I had just one jar of cumin seeds at the moment... :whistling:

You're stuck at home for a bit, right? Time to inventory your pantry, fridge, and freezer! :)

I do that every so often, though I'd be lying if I said I had just one jar of cumin seeds at the moment... :whistling:

Yes, I am. That's a great idea. Can you send some magic elves to help me? ;-) I was thinking of organizing the pantry so I'll do that at the same time. Thanks!

I don't know about TastyReuben, but I can send this elf to empty your pantries. Problem solved.
elf.gif

The tendency to buy duplicats (or triplets) goes around here too. You think that "buh, there may be a can of this in the cupboard but I'll buy one anyway; it won't get spoiled until March 2024" - and then you end up having five jars of vanilla sugar, four cans of baking powder, three pouches of pearl barley and two bottles of sweet'n'sour sauce - all expired February last. Why, oh why, am I so lazy when it comes to taking a peak in the cupboards or the back of the fridge and arranging food stuff (or cleaning the house)? Makes no sense being senseless as there is nothing incomprehensible or demanding in the operational model or in the chores. Pure laziness and arrogance <giving myself a cuff on the ear>.

We've started to plan a few meals in advance and make specific notes/lists for grocery shopping. We've managed to save some money through grocery planning though kids growing up and leaving the house is the biggest facilitation. We've also managed to cut the amount of organic/biodegradable waste (which is collected from the block) into maybe a half in a few years but there's still a lot to do. We have to quit eating ready made (pre-prep) food stuff as it produces a lot of plastic/cardboard incineration waste and isn't healthy. On the other hand, we currently prepare most of our food from scratch.

The vegetables we grow in the countryside probably cost more in seeds and saplings than they ever produce. The same with picking berries or mushrooms into the freezer in fashionable Wellies/rubber boots and waterproof coats which cost more than 50 kg berries from the market place. It's more of a recreational hobby and eye candy. Home-grown veggies and hand picked berries and mushrooms taste great, it's nice to stay outdoors and at least you know where your food came from.

I don't know about TastyReuben, but I can send this elf to empty your pantries. Problem solved.
View attachment 50162
The tendency to buy duplicats (or triplets) goes around here too. You think that "buh, there may be a can of this in the cupboard but I'll buy one anyway; it won't get spoiled until March 2024" - and then you end up having five jars of vanilla sugar, four cans of baking powder, three pouches of pearl barley and two bottles of sweet'n'sour sauce - all expired February last. Why, oh why, am I so lazy when it comes to taking a peak in the cupboards or the back of the fridge and arranging food stuff (or cleaning the house)? Makes no sense being senseless as there is nothing incomprehensible or demanding in the operational model or in the chores. Pure laziness and arrogance <giving myself a cuff on the ear>.

We've started to plan a few meals in advance and make specific notes/lists for grocery shopping. We've managed to save some money through grocery planning though kids growing up and leaving the house is the biggest facilitation. We've also managed to cut the amount of organic/biodegradable waste (which is collected from the block) into maybe a half in a few years but there's still a lot to do. We have to quit eating ready made (pre-prep) food stuff as it produces a lot of plastic/cardboard incineration waste and isn't healthy. On the other hand, we currently prepare most of our food from scratch.

The vegetables we grow in the countryside probably cost more in seeds and saplings than they ever produce. The same with picking berries or mushrooms into the freezer in fashionable Wellies/rubber boots and waterproof coats which cost more than 50 kg berries from the market place. It's more of a recreational hobby and eye candy. Home-grown veggies and hand picked berries and mushrooms taste great, it's nice to stay outdoors and at least you know where your food came from.

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this. I read it yesterday. You are so funny. I love Buddy the Elf! Will Farrell is hilarious.

I think of you as a very accomplished cook and baker so it brings it home that you also buy items you already have on hand (maybe I'm not losing my mind after all. LOL).

I think the hardest part for me is that I have really bad arthritis and I won't take pain meds so I struggle with the little things I used to take for granted. I have a hard time with jars even with a jar opener. Forget using a manual can opener and the electric one is annoying. I also don't like eating processed foods but don't have the energy to always prepare something from scratch. Then, I get a burst of energy, overdo it and I've knocked myself down a few pegs for the next several days.

I posted it in the gardening thread but I am an admitted MASS MURDERER of all things seeds. My grandmother and her son (my father) could/can grow anything and my daughter wanted to try when they lived with me. We got a few things to pop up but nothing really useable long-term. I actually feel guilty buying seeds and seedlings because I know I will murder them somehow. ;-( It's nice that you are able to do it successfully. I bet your meals have amazing flavors and colors.

One of the main reason that I made my baby's food when they were infants is to know for absolute certainty what they were eating and drinking. I only ate organic foods during each pregnancy and used organic fruits and vegetables and breast milk (sorry if that grosses anybody out). They have never had diaper rash, ear infections, swollen glands or anything more than the common cold. I'm proud that I was able to do that for them and they now, as teens, choose healthier options over junk food. And, I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel day-to-day because I'm eating more ready-made foods. I try to eat salads and veggie subs when I want a quick bite but I will also have a single-serve lasagna or meatloaf from the freezer. I want to move away from the latter though. I've gained about 20 lbs. over the last year. I was underweight so it's not too bad but I don't want that to keep climbing as my mobility is limited and my food choices are sloppy. Luckily, I'm not an overeater and I'm a stress starver (if we can think constant stress as "good" ;-). I'm learning how to get that in check and a big chunk of it is estranging from my family. It was hard but it was the safest, mentally and physically, for me. I already feel the weight lifting and the guilt subsiding so that's good.

Thanks for your posts. I enjoy reading them very much. I'm still trying to envision myself making your lemon cake. It looks intimidating but I might give it a shot this holiday season. Let's just say that my caregiver eats pretty well when I'm up to cooking and baking!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom