Menu Planning

I had trouble when typing up my list as it kept crashing. I actually own ketchup if anyone is wondering why it's not on the list. And, I have THREE bottles of Turmeric. A few things are missing as I had to retype it when the system crashed. Still trying to troubleshoot that.

In my quest to plan meals, I'm marinating some lettuce, tomato and cucumber in Italian dressing to add to the pre-made Italian sub I have (I don't care for the marinara they include in the package).

I have part of the turkey wing in the Crock-pot and will make some quick stuffing (from a box - wish me luck!) with cranberry sauce on the side. Just a taste of Thanksgiving since I won't cook for the holiday.

So I managed to get today's menu handled. Yeah!

P.S. Thanks TastyReuben for lighting a fire under me to do an inventory. :p:

Last edited:
See! See what I mean?!?!?!?!? LOL I completely forgot that I have a rotisserie chicken in the fridge. I took photos of my pantry, freezer and fridge so I didn't have to write everything down (arthritis in hands) and completely missed the chicken in the photo of that shelf.

So, since I got it Sunday, I'm thinking it is not something to reheat and eat. I could use it to make chicken salad or possibly chicken and dumplings. That might be a bit too heavy for me right now. I love salads. Maybe I'll chop it up and throw it in with one of my salads.

What would you do with it?

I turned the Crock-pot down to low so the turkey cooks slower (will have that tomorrow)
Take the Turkey Crown out and let it set up in the fridge, use the stock to make a handsome thick gravy, put it in the fridge. Slice the crown, slather slices of your fave bread with the gravy and start building the turkey sarnie of your dreams with additional ingredients. Serve with sides of french fries, gherkins, pickled onions.....I have to stop I'm dribbling.

I love making chicken salad from rotisserie chicken also Chicken and celery soup. G's favorite.
I recently defrosted and cleaned the two freezers in G's shop. I donated an ice chest of food to the local homeless diner. I also tossed a large garbage bag of Jurassic food. I got away with it because G was out of town. I know what is in the freezers, fridge and pantry. I need to sort the spice cabinet. George is terrible about buying things that we have plenty of. He also wants to buy herbs and spice in the giant economy size. I have explained the false economy of buying herbs and spices in bulk. He doesn't get it.
When it comes to meal planning I am on and off. I need to get back on and focus on using what is in the freezers. When I make a grocery list I put a ? next to items that I am not sure about my quantity on hand. That tells me to check my supply before buying.
Involving G in meal planning would be a good thing. I ask him what he would like for dinner - a, b, or c. He says whatever you want. I take a out of the freezer. An hour or two later he says he would like c for dinner. Involving him in meal planning would eliminate that foolishness.
Planning 4 main meals a week would be an improvement. The other three main meals could be left overs or cooked food from the freezer.
mjd-lovescooking Thanks for the thread.

Planning 4 main meals a week would be an improvement. The other three main meals could be left overs or cooked food from the freezer.
For me this is key when trying to get into meal planning.....recognising that you don't need to plan all your meals. I think some people see it as an either/or kind of thing, whereas it works pretty well as something you do some of the time and leave the others open for inspiration and spontaneity.

I love making chicken salad from rotisserie chicken also Chicken and celery soup. G's favorite.
I recently defrosted and cleaned the two freezers in G's shop. I donated an ice chest of food to the local homeless diner. I also tossed a large garbage bag of Jurassic food. I got away with it because G was out of town. I know what is in the freezers, fridge and pantry. I need to sort the spice cabinet. George is terrible about buying things that we have plenty of. He also wants to buy herbs and spice in the giant economy size. I have explained the false economy of buying herbs and spices in bulk. He doesn't get it.
When it comes to meal planning I am on and off. I need to get back on and focus on using what is in the freezers. When I make a grocery list I put a ? next to items that I am not sure about my quantity on hand. That tells me to check my supply before buying.
Involving G in meal planning would be a good thing. I ask him what he would like for dinner - a, b, or c. He says whatever you want. I take a out of the freezer. An hour or two later he says he would like c for dinner. Involving him in meal planning would eliminate that foolishness.

I divided the rotisserie chicken up and will make some chicken salad and a chicken quesadilla (as suggested by TastyReuben.

I think I was the "G" in my family. I LOVED Costco when we were married. He never understood why I hated shopping as he would go every day. I worked full-time while going to college so I wanted a plan for dinner before dinnertime. We married after I graduated but I kept up that habit. It's hard to not stop for fast food when you are just exhausted after work. However, I am getting better about not buying large quantities because it's just me and I'm not feeding a family anymore.

I can so relate to how it is when someone else is involved in the discussion. My father would demand I make something. I'd buy it, prepare it and he'd complain that I should have made something else. Luckily, he only stayed with me for a couple of months back in college. My ex was different. He RARELY offered any input on what I made for dinner as he loved almost anything I cooked. It was frustrating sometimes because I wanted his input. That got easier as the kids got older because they would just tell me. Now, it's just me and I don't know what I want half the time. That's where I get in trouble. I'll go through the whole process, make something and realize it's not what I wanted. Silly, I know. LOL

I like the idea of planning 4 meals a week. I think it would help me to stay focused on using what I have.

For me this is key when trying to get into meal planning.....recognising that you don't need to plan all your meals. I think some people see it as an either/or kind of thing, whereas it works pretty well as something you do some of the time and leave the others open for inspiration and spontaneity.

Yes. I started this thread with the mindset that I had to plan 7 days and stick to the plan no matter what. I think that's what made it intimidating. I can easily see planning 4 meals and working around the other days with leftovers and maybe one day just take it as it comes. That's a plan I could get behind. ;-)

Yes. I started this thread with the mindset that I had to plan 7 days and stick to the plan no matter what. I think that's what made it intimidating. I can easily see planning 4 meals and working around the other days with leftovers and maybe one day just take it as it comes. That's a plan I could get behind. ;-)
For us, because it's just two, one planned meal will usually be enough for leftovers the next day (though we both hate leftovers), either as lunch for one or another full meal for supper for both, depending on what it is.

I'd think cooking for one would be much the same, but you have to get over the idea that every meal has to be a spectacular surprise of something different (which is a little hard for both of us as diners, and for me as the chef).

For us, because it's just two, one planned meal will usually be enough for leftovers the next day (though we both hate leftovers), either as lunch for one or another full meal for supper for both, depending on what it is.

I'd think cooking for one would be much the same, but you have to get over the idea that every meal has to be a spectacular surprise of something different (which is a little hard for both of us as diners, and for me as the chef).

Yes. I have been using "Cooking for Two" recipes I find online. We even now have a section in the frozen foods at WalMart. ;-)

I never had to manage leftovers for a second dinner when I had a family. I never made my kids PB&J or deli sandwiches for lunch. I bought them small thermoses and the compartment containers so they got leftovers for their school lunches. Sometimes my ex took lunches so he got the whole spread too.

I think you are right and I need to stop making it a production. I don't need a *spectacular* meal for each meal. I enjoy cooking so nothing was "too much" for my husband and children. You should see how long it takes me to make a meal when they visit. I only get to see them three times per year so it IS a "big deal" for me.

Before our respective quarantines, my caregiver and I would cook together and share a meal two days a week (when she's with me for 6 hours). She brings and cooks one day and I buy and cook for the other. She doesn't like to cook (how is that possible?!?!?! LOL) so I end up assisting on her day anyway. By the way, she is still raving about your hamburger buns. I think those will be on permanent rotation. ;-)

Cooking for two is almost as challenging as cooking for one. I am the eldest of 7 children. I learned to cook for a mob. I still cook large quantities of soups, stews, gumbo, things can easily be frozen in serving portions.
Before Costo opened we had Sam's Club. I did not like shopping there. Everything was sold in huge quantities.
I love my Costco. I buy paper products, laundry supplies and dishwashing liquid. When Tide, Downy and dawn are on sale ($4 off) I buy two. We both like Jiff peanut butter. Costco's twin pack is ridiculously inexpensive. Their label Vodka, both American and French is top shelf when it comes to taste and smoothness. I purchase non perishables, foods that have a long shelf life or can be frozen. I do not buy fresh veggies because the packages are too large for two.
Having freezer space is a huge advantage.

Back
Top Bottom