Metal Skewers or Wood Skewers for Kebabs?

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
8:11 PM
Do you use metal skewers or wood skewers for kebabs?

I use wood skewers. Soaked before using to keep them from burning on the grill.
I had a collection of stainless skewers that I donated to a local charity thrift shop. Metal skewers heat up quickly and over cook the inside of the food. Soaked wood skewers cook the food evenly.

What is your opinion?

Do you use metal skewers or wood skewers for kebabs?

I use wood skewers. Soaked before using to keep them from burning on the grill.
I had a collection of stainless skewers that I donated to a local charity thrift shop. Metal skewers heat up quickly and over cook the inside of the food. Soaked wood skewers cook the food evenly.

What is your opinion?

Ditto on wood, bamboo I think, I put them in the sink ( after cleaning it thoroughly) on the bottom then sit a weight on top and fill until it's covered. I have metal ones here but never used them?

Russ

I have both but virtually always use soaked wooden ones.

Last edited:
I have both metal and wooden. I use both. However if I were to have small children over for kebabs, I'm certainly going to be using the wood ones.

The metal ones came from my parents, and they really don't use that much space up in the drawer. I also like them for food photography reasons. I'm also fine using the metal ones if I'm deciding at the last minute I want kebabs for dinner and don't want to bother with soaking the wooden sticks first (this was more true prior to retirement on workday nights).

We use both, but ones that are flattened so nothing spins on them. I also like to use sugar cane for skewers for certain dishes. The one thing I have learned is to cook different items separately on skewers, as the cooking times vary for each.

Back
Top Bottom