Metric system measurements to American measurements

My recipe is going to be impractical, then, as I will be using a few tablespoons of butter and plan on filling a measuring cup with various seafood and other ingredient amounts to keep the ratios in balance.

Mod.comment:
I repeat. There is no need to convert measures. Cup measures are fine. As are teaspoons.The last thing we want to do is make it more complicated for members to post recipes.

Cups aren't standard in the UK and most folk in the UK won't have a cup measure (I do).
Glory B you mean you measure using a
1605797095473.png

Glory B you mean you measure using a View attachment 50791
Dear Burt, just to please you, I'll add another gastronomical conversion chart for bras :roflmao: :

br.gif

Remember that if a glass bead (or else) is sown into the garment, the weight of the bra increases by the weight of the bead.
The formula for the computation:
for.png

Take note that the constitution of the bead (and the quality of the silica!) has an effect in the final result. The chart for different types of silicon dioxides can be found inside the pineal gland of a subspecies of a North Icelandic chipmunk.

Dear Burt, just to please you, I'll add another gastronomical conversion chart for bras :roflmao: :

View attachment 50793
Remember that if a glass bead (or else) is sown into the garment, the weight of the bra increases by the weight of the bead.
The formula for the computation:
View attachment 50794
Take note that the constitution of the bead (and the quality of the silica!) has an effect in the final result. The chart for different types of silicon dioxides can be found inside the pineal gland of a subspecies of a North Icelandic chipmunk.
That's the formula I use.

I have a set of American measuring cups, so I tend to just use them when I want to make an American recipe. If its one I'll possibly want to make again I just weigh ingredients after I've measured them out and amend the recipe with the metric amounts for next time.

BTW, sticks of butter in the US have lines marking tablespoons so we don't have to measure.
I was just about to ask how you measure a tbsp of butter without melting it! :okay:
I've only ever seen sticks of butter in the US though - I don't think anywhere else uses them?

Cups aren't standard in the UK and most folk in the UK won't have a cup measure (I do). But seriously, there is no need to convert recipes to metric. It would drive members away! Its easy enough to find conversion tools on-line.
I am not so sure it would drive members away, but to keep it simple I will just use my US measurements. Which in this case will be measuring cups for the volume of solid ingredients (1 cup of crabmeat, for example). Yes, cups in the US are usually for fluid measurements. Argh.

On that note, it does drive me crazy that we have fluid ounces for liquids and different ounces for weight, pretty confusing overall. There are 32 fluid ounces in a quart and 16 ounces of weight in a pound, and those ounces do not equal each other at all. Sigh.

I have a set of American measuring cups, so I tend to just use them when I want to make an American recipe. If its one I'll possibly want to make again I just weigh ingredients after I've measured them out and amend the recipe with the metric amounts for next time.

I was just about to ask how you measure a tbsp of butter without melting it! :okay:
I've only ever seen sticks of butter in the US though - I don't think anywhere else uses them?

SticksOfButter.jpg

lots and lots of slept-through-science-class-Americans are unaware there are ounces of weight and ounces of volume.

but that's not the issue - the real is is as mentioned: density.
translating from cups (US) to grams (Eur) is problematic.
adding to the problem: stuff like flour - difference brands are different ginds, wheat types, etc etc etc and x grams of one flour does not work of like x grams of any other flour.

salt is the same density issue. the weight of a teaspoon of sea/kosher/table/popcorn salt is not the same.
different brands of kosher salt - grains or flakes - are not the same.....
Yeah, for us it was taught in general math in the 3rd grade. In the 3rd grade, we had one teacher for all subjects. The first time I had a science teacher was 5th grade, I think, and in science we only used metric measurements. I remember at one point in my childhood it was discussed that Americans switch to the metric system. They started putting metric measurements on Coke bottles along with the quart measurements, and eventually changed Coke bottles to plastic 1 liter and 2 liter bottles. That's how I know that a 1 liter is 33.6 ounces, LOL. And when it comes to weights, I remember learning in the late 70s that a kilo of pot is 2.2 pounds, an ounce of pot is roughly 28 grams, and of course the 1/4 ounce bag is 7 grams, not including baggie weight... :laugh:

Edited for a typo...not enough coffee before posting.

Last edited:
Yeah, for us it was taught in general math in the 3rd grade. In the 3rd grade, we had one teacher for all subjects. The first time I had a science teacher was 5th grade, I think, and in science we only used metric measurements. I remember at one point in my childhood it was discussed that Americans switch to the metric system. They started putting metric measurements on Coke bottles along with the quart measurements, and eventually changed Coke bottles to plastic 1 liter and 2 liter bottles. That's how I know that a 1 liter is 33.6 ounces, LOL. And when it comes to weights, I remember learning in the late 70s that a pound of pot is 2.2 pounds, an ounce of pot is roughly 28 grams, and of course the 1/4 ounce bag is 7 grams, not including baggie weight... :laugh:

That's impressive. I was in WalMart one time when the register ran out of paper. The cashier became flustered, handed me my cash back AND the item I wanted to purchase with an apology stating that she was not good at math. I told her that she could use addition instead of subtraction and you would have thought I suggested she fly to the moon that instant. I absolutely refused to steal the item and helped her count back my change. The kicker? There were no coins involved. I gave her a $10 and the cost was $6. I'm stunned at the number of people that are allowed to handle cash that can't count. It was a REQUIREMENT when I got my first cashiering job in high school. It was on paper, no calculators allowed.

So, good job remembering what you learned in 3rd grade! I'm terrified of being in a nursing home depending on the next generation of people that cannot function without their Smartphones and fancy apps. Yikes!

That's impressive. I was in WalMart one time when the register ran out of paper. The cashier became flustered, handed me my cash back AND the item I wanted to purchase with an apology stating that she was not good at math. I told her that she could use addition instead of subtraction and you would have thought I suggested she fly to the moon that instant. I absolutely refused to steal the item and helped her count back my change. The kicker? There were no coins involved. I gave her a $10 and the cost was $6. I'm stunned at the number of people that are allowed to handle cash that can't count. It was a REQUIREMENT when I got my first cashiering job in high school. It was on paper, no calculators allowed.

So, good job remembering what you learned in 3rd grade! I'm terrified of being in a nursing home depending on the next generation of people that cannot function without their Smartphones and fancy apps. Yikes!
That's horrifying! Oh my, yes, more than once I have had a purchase that was just 1 or 2 cents over the dollar amount and handed the cashier a $20, only to find the spare change quickly after she had entered the amount ($8.02 for example and I gave her 2 pennies). Deer caught in the headlights for sure. Cashier: "Ma'am, I already entered $20 in the system." Me: "Give me back $12." Cashier: "I need to call someone before I can do that to make sure." Me: "I assure it's correct." Cashier on the intercom: "Assistance at register #4 please."

Back
Top Bottom