Microwave Corn on the Cob

Pat

Veteran
Local time
11:01 AM
We purchased some fresh corn this week and I hate to clean it so that it can be cooked. My friend suggested I wrap the corn with the husk and silks still on the ear on corn in a wet paper towel and put the corn in the microwave for about 5 minutes. At first I thought she was crazy. The corn was done in 5 minutes, crisp and very good. The husks and silks came right off, not hard to do at all.

The only way to cook corn on the cob.

I agree. I've often used the microwave to do that. The microwave is also brilliant for whole globe artichokes.

You can also cook them in the oven the same way. I can remember how long you cook them for now but when you take them out the husks and silks fall right off.
I have had them in the microwave and I prefer them to boiling them. They are much tastier and don't take near as long to prepare.

We once shared a student house with a Spanish guy who only ever cooked corn on the cob under the grill. He would drizzle a touch of olive oil over the corn and the grill it until it turned brown, turn it and brown it... We tried it and it is wonderful. It definitely brings out the flavour in sweetcorn and is much nicer than boiling it.
We don't have an effective grill now sadly so we compromise and I have taken to dry frying the cob in a frying pan that takes a lid (it's a shallow casserole come frying pan with proper lid, large and about 3 inches deep) once they have browned evenly I add about an inch of boiling water and put the lid on (lots of stream created). After about 5 minutes most of the water has boiled off and you have something similar and very tasty.

This reminds me of the Del Monte brand of corn that I used to buy in the grocery. It is not available all year round like now but I usually find it in the grocery racks during the first half of the year. What's good with that corn is that no need to boil. Just 5 minutes in the microwave is enough to cook it and the taste is still fresh because of the good packaging. I assure you that I always buy at least a pack for me whenever I would see that brand of corn.

We grill our corns too. My family loves barbeque and we usually bring corns to go with them on the charcoal grill. First we brush the ears with butter, sprinkle some salt and dill and put them back to their husks. The drippings from the meat of the barbeque adds flavor to the corns too.

This is news to me but not surprising since the micro wave has taken over. The once upon a time big thing in my country that might be dying out is to roast the corn on the streets on an open fire. Fresh corn is not something we see year round so you pretty much wait and see when it becomes available.

The once upon a time big thing in my country that might be dying out is to roast the corn on the streets on an open fire. Fresh corn is not something we see year round so you pretty much wait and see when it becomes available.
I had seen some of my friends who posted their photos while on vacation. I thought they were just using the corns to add some drama to the beauty of an open bonfire by the beach. I was wrong they actually are using real freshly gathered corns from the field. They do not have a microwave within reach so they roasted them using the nice glowing embers from the bonfire. I think that was clever, the slow cook process I think is perfect for fresh corns.

This is news to me but not surprising since the micro wave has taken over. The once upon a time big thing in my country that might be dying out is to roast the corn on the streets on an open fire. Fresh corn is not something we see year round so you pretty much wait and see when it becomes available.
Fresh cob is very season and only a very short season as well, so it is worth making the most of it when it is available. It has just become available here in the UK.
We tried microwaving the cobs last night for tea. It was OK but we have decided that we still prefer them grilled. It brings out the sweetness much more and we prefer them that way.

I showed my mom this method a few months ago, and she's been doing it ever since, lol. She would normally just throw the corn into a plastic container and microwave it with some butter, but it would cook all unevenly and there would be tough, chewy parts, while other parts were still uncooked. But with the wet paper towel, it seems to cook much more evenly. Incidentally, I've also learned that wrapping microwave sandwiches and breakfast sandwiches in *dry* paper towel also helps them to cook more evenly and prevents the bottoms from becoming soggy.

If you've got the time though, slow cooking corn on the cob is really delicious as well. Corn on the cob was always one of my favorite things to get at Long John Silvers, because the kernels would literally melt in your mouth and fall right off the cob. I can only assume they were somehow slow cooking them throughout the day and keeping them in some sort of warmer. They would serve them wrapped in foil and drenched in butter.

If you've got a food steamer, you can get a very similar effect by simply steaming them for about an hour and a half. I know that sounds ridiculous, but if you're making something like a pot roast, which takes several hours to cook anyhow, it's just a matter of starting them in the steamer during the last couple hours or so of cooking time. I personally use my electric food steamer but I would imagine a stovetop one would work just as fine. You may need to add some water about half way through the cooking time though.

Back
Top Bottom