Microwaves: How Often Do You Use Them?

Microwaves: How Often Do You Use Them?

• Never.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Rarely. Sometimes, I need to reheat my coffee, but that's about it.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Occasionally. I use it to mostly to reheat things, but not much for cooking

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Frequently. Besides reheating foods, I sometimes use it to cook.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • All the Time. I use it for every heating and cooking need, and I rarely use the oven or stove.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
I reheat mostly. But I’ll do eggs for my breakfast bagels and cook veg to par cook before grilling.

I use the microwave to "start off" jacket (baked) potatoes before finishing in the halogen or conventional oven. Between 1 minute and 2 minutes per potato depending upon size.

I also use it to re-heat any foods that are not liquid. Liquid foods I re-heat in a saucepan.

Only in an emergency do I use it to defrost frozen food. Normally I de-frost overnight in the refrigerator or just leave on the kitchen worktops. In our ambient temperatures defrosting rarely takes longer than a couple of hours.

I can't remember the last time that I used it for actually cooking something.

I use it for re heating food, it's a good way to save money and energy. This way I can batch cook and eat foods I made myself later instead of relying on convience foods. With a disability, that's quite vital. I never use it for cooking though, not for anything except melting butter.

I also know how to re heat food without a microwave, I did for years before I met my husband because I couldn't afford to buy a microwave being disabled and on benefits. For example leftover pizza I reheat in a non stick pan or an airfyrer, not a microwave. If you don't have a microwave bain marie is always an option to reheat food (put a pot of water on a stove, bring it to a boil, add a bowl on top and heat your food in that).

it´s hopeless for anything with pastry or flour in it

I make great sponge puddings in the microwave - but then, you don't like sponge puddings.

Recipe - Cranberry & Clementine Sponge Pudding

1655380570679.png

I make great sponge puddings in the microwave - but then, you don't like sponge puddings.
:D :D :D :D
No - it´s not that I don´t like sponge pudding, it´s just that I find them inherently boring and predictable.
Sponge pudding, ginger sponge pudding, date sponge pudding, suet pudding, spotted dick, sponge pudding with raisins, or sultanas, or currants and the most ponderous of all, Xmas pudding.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
ALL served with custard.

Since I make a batch of cold brew coffee at the beginning of the week and refrigerate it, I use the microwave every morning to warm up my coffee. Microwave handles the lion's share of reheating duty. AirFryer gets used for things that need to be crispier than the microwave allows.
As far as cooking... nah. Unless you count steaming veggies.

Mostly to reheat coffee, or to heat water for tea. Very rarely to reheat actual food, especially now. Used them more often at work prior to retirement, to reheat my lunch. The only thing I ever use this gadget to cook from scratch is asparagus - and that is for a very few asparagus meals - most don't go in there.

Back
Top Bottom