Microwaves: How Often Do You Use Them?

Microwaves: How Often Do You Use Them?

• Never.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Rarely. Sometimes, I need to reheat my coffee, but that's about it.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Occasionally. I use it to mostly to reheat things, but not much for cooking

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Frequently. Besides reheating foods, I sometimes use it to cook.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • All the Time. I use it for every heating and cooking need, and I rarely use the oven or stove.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
On the positive side: your electricity bill will be lower!
Not sure that is the case. One of the good things about microwaves is that they use less electricity than cooking on an electric hob or in and electric oven. Here in the UK they will be cheaper than gas hobs or ovens.
Not quite. With or without one, circumstances would still have me pay the same amount or even more. If you think about whether you use a microwave everytime your in the kitchen or running an stove/oven to cook something, it is still using electricity.

I'm in the majority as well. I remember I used to cook tea for one of my customers on the coast. She was a terrible cook and her husband was s good customer of mine. They had a microwave. This was about 30 years ago and she wouldn't use it because she was scared of the radiation.
I use for baked potatoes to thawing to reheating and cooking.

Russ

I remember hearing about radiation leakage with early microwaves (I remember my family having one in the 1970s). But, I used it anyway. I remembered using it, then stepping well away from it while it ran.

:D :D :D :D
No - it´s not that I don´t like sponge pudding, it´s just that I find them inherently boring and predictable.
Sponge pudding, ginger sponge pudding, date sponge pudding, suet pudding, spotted dick, sponge pudding with raisins, or sultanas, or currants and the most ponderous of all, Xmas pudding.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
ALL served with custard.
Nothing wrong with custard. My grandkids love packet stuff I make here. Granddaughter even pestered me how to make it. She made it 3 times that week I'm Partial to it as well.

Russ

I heat water for tea every day (I'm the only tea drinker here) and reheat foods occasionally or cook veggies in it. Mine is installed above the stove.

I fall in to the don't own one category. If I had one, would probably be useful to heat up leftovers now and then.

As an aside, a young Aussie comedian became a bit of a YouTube sensation here during lockdowns with his, let's say unique, cooking show. Despite constant swearing, he's actually a really good cook. This is his take on microwaves, or as he refers to them the "Tucka F**ka". As you can tell, don't watch if strong language offends.

View: https://youtu.be/CCiL-zTrmpM

View: https://youtu.be/SZMuxvuH_AA

Last edited:
I fall in to the don't own one category. If I had one, would probably be useful to heat up leftovers now and then.

As an aside, a young Aussie comedian became a bit of a YouTube sensation here during lockdowns with his, let's say unique, cooking show. Despite constant swearing, he's actually a really good cook. This is his take on microwaves, or as he refers to them the "Tucka F**ka". As you can tell, don't watch if strong language offends.

I've been watching this guy for about a year now. Very funny

Russ

Aside from the reheating, I do a lot of vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, french beans, peas. 3 mins - they're ready to stick on the plate.

One I haven't seen listed here is pre-cooking chicken. In my Chinese takeaway cooking book there is a poaching method that takes about 40 minutes that gives some tender but flavourless chicken, subsequently added to stir-fries where it will get seasoned and go in a sauce. Well, if tender but flavourless chicken is what you're after, the microwave excels at this - I put lengthway sliced breasts (or any other excess chicken I need to use up) on a high-sided plate and microwave for 4-5 minutes, turning them in the middle so they get evenly whitened. When cool, they are completely cooked, so I cut them into chunks and freeze them or use them straight away in fried rice, chow mein etc.. Works perfectly.

That's funny. I actually do cook bacon in the microwave as well and it works extremely well. If I'm really lazy (or hungover) I will whack 5 or 6 rashers in a bowl, zap them for about 3 minutes, then crack an egg on top of it, a bit of grated cheese, cover with a paper towel and zap for another 90 seconds. Take it out and slide that lot between two slices of white bread. Pure class.

It´s not so much that he uses bad language; he just intersperses the swearing with a few normal words. :eek: :eek: :happy::happy::happy::happy:
I watched the whole microwave thing for the curried sausages and it had me in stitches!

As an aside, a young Aussie comedian became a bit of a YouTube sensation here during lockdowns
Forevermore, a microwave shall be known as “the sin bin!” :laugh:

You know, I had the 1990 US version of that Sharp Carousel microwave cookbook. Came with the first microwave we bought when we got married.

I’ll add, once my current microwave dies (the Power Level button no longer works), I’ll be lobbying strongly not to replace it.

I’ll lose that argument, no doubt, but when we do replace it, it’ll be with a very small bare-essentials model, because all she uses it for is to reheat cold tea, but she does so every day.

Here’s ours, probably close to 20 years old:

Not quite. With or without one, circumstances would still have me pay the same amount or even more. If you think about whether you use a microwave everytime your in the kitchen or running an stove/oven to cook something, it is still using electricity.

I suppose I meant that the time for cooking or heating in the microwave is much shorter thus less electricity (or gas) is used.

Back
Top Bottom