Milk Chat

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
11:52 PM
[Mod comment: this and several following posts moved to new topic (TR)]

I can barely get through 1 gallon of milk without it starting to spoil, much less two of them!!!! :eek:
Two gallons of milk!!.jpg

Last edited:
I can barely get through 1 gallon of milk without it spoiling, much less two of them!!!! :eek:View attachment 95429
Have you ever looked for "ultra-pasteurized" milk and half & half?
That's all I buy now.
I just bought a 1/2 gallon of half & half at Kroger's and the best by date is in MAY!!!

I can barely get through 1 gallon of milk without it spoiling, much less two of them!!!! :eek:View attachment 95429

Have you looked at organic milk? It costs more, but the shelf life in the fridge is double, even triple that of regular milk. I bough a half gallon last week that is good until March 13. It also tastes better... bonus.

CD

Have you looked at organic milk? It costs more, but the shelf life in the fridge is double, even triple that of regular milk. I bough a half gallon last week that is good until March 13. It also tastes better... bonus.

CD

TastyR, you buy the exact same ST 2% that I buy. Would you agree on the shelf life and taste?

CD

TastyR, you buy the exact same ST 2% that I buy. Would you agree on the shelf life and taste?

CD
Yeah, the expired date will be a good two months away, and it still stays fresh after opening. MrsT was the main milk consumer here, I only use it in cereal, so it takes me a long time to get through a half gallon, and it’s fine. I haven’t thrown one out yet.

Yeah, the expired date will be a good two months away, and it still stays fresh after opening. MrsT was the main milk consumer here, I only use it in cereal, so it takes me a long time to get through a half gallon, and it’s fine. I haven’t thrown one out yet.
Milk from around here doesn't last that long. And some stores sell it too close to or past the expiration date. They are not supposed to do that!!! :mad:

TastyReuben so you do buy ultra-pasteurized milk!
Any more, I don’t know if mainstream supermarkets even sell anything other than ultra-pasteurized milk (and cream).

I know when I want to make my own crème fraiche, I have to go to a specialty shop to get low-temperature pasteurized cream.

In my house, I buy a litre every two to three days. I only use it for tea, and the occasional bechamel or quiche; my middle son is partial to cereal, but not every day.My eldest and youngest sons will consume a litre EACH every day. Given that they also consume vast quantities of meat, I think they were probably cows in a former life!

Back
Top Bottom