Milk Chat

Any more, I don’t know if mainstream supermarkets even sell anything other than ultra-pasteurized milk (and cream).

I know when I want to make my own crème fraiche, I have to go to a specialty shop to get low-temperature pasteurized cream.
Here in Cowboyville Arizona USA, it's the opposite.
Trying to find Ultra-pasteurized milk or cream is difficult.
I only buy that because it takes forever for us two to finish a quart before it goes south.

Homogenized vs non homogenized milk.
What is pasteurized milk?
I don’t see this anymore.

resize

I bought a gallon of low-fat (1%) milk today at Whole Foods, which I had stopped doing because I wasn't able to finish it all before it started to spoil. I'll see what else happens. :whistling:

Last edited:

resize

Pasteurization is a process of heating the milk to temperature at which all bacteria is killed, without taking it any higher. The temperature varies based on the amount of time the milk stays at a giving temperature, but I believe at 160F, it only takes seconds for the bacteria to die.

CD

resize
I will not drink fat-free skim milk.1% is as low as I'll go. I HATE skim milk!! Some may drink it, but I won't! It tastes almost like water. Not that I don't like drinking water, but when I want water, I'll drink it.When I want milk, I'll drink 1% milk.:yuck:

Last edited:
Here we buy in 2 liter bottles. Blue top full milk ( it's not like I had growing up) or green top which is trim milk. Growing up with 600ml glass bottles you always had about an inch of cream on top. I was always up first to the letterbox to get it for my weet bix.
Cream here is full cream. I wish we could get 50/50. I love clotted cream buy its unavailable here.

Russ

The one kind of milk I absolutely will not drink is powdered milk!
I guess when I was a kid my parents had to pinch pennies until the screamed, milk in Hawaii was/is pricey.

Everything in Hawaai is expensive. It's a small group of islands in the middle of a vast ocean. I understand the cost of building a house is outrageous.

CD

Everything in Hawaai is expensive. It's a small group of islands in the middle of a vast ocean. I understand the cost of building a house is outrageous.

CD
True dat!
We built our home back in 1993 for $70,000. Today it's worth $1.5M :o_o:

In my house, I buy a litre every two to three days. I only use it for tea, and the occasional bechamel or quiche; my middle son is partial to cereal, but not every day.My eldest and youngest sons will consume a litre EACH every day. Given that they also consume vast quantities of meat, I think they were probably cows in a former life!

We go through 6 litres (1.5 gallons) every 2-3 days - I buy 3 x 2L bottles at a time. My boys drink virtually nothing else, then it's also used for tea/coffee, cereal, bit of cooking...

I'm not fond of milk and I don't like cereal, so it's rare for me to buy milk since the kids grew up and moved out. If I do buy it, it's only a quart and I prefer whole milk. I do buy buttermilk for breading, marinating, biscuits, etc. I use half and half in my coffee and I keep heavy cream on hand for sauces, quiche, and desserts.

When I was "isolated" in 2020 because of the Covid outbreak, I´d use a litre every week. I only ever use milk in tea, really. As soon as it started tasting funny, I´d give it to the dog.
I don't have any pets other than the squirrels living out in my backyard (they all come running when I call "Bubba") and our resident groundhog Stewie, who is currently in hibernation. They aren't milk drinkers as far as I know. I will cook with slightly turned milk, it can go into pancake batter, biscuit mix, or something else (shhh, don't tell my husband). But yeah I can't even imagine buying more than a quart (a little more than 1 liter), even if it is a better deal to buy a gallon (4 quarts). I'd definitely be pouring out 3/4s of it. I think I bought milk once last year.

I probably should start eating cereal again, not the sugary kind I liked so much as a kid but the hearty, fibrous kind. My doctor told me I should eat more fiber. I had lost 30 pounds over the past 3 years and gained 5 of it back over the holidays.

Back
Top Bottom