Milk Chat

And can someone more knowledgeable than I, (not difficult I know), please explain to me the difference between raw, unpasteurised and non-homogenised milk?
Raw milk is the same as unpasteurised.ie. its not been heated to kill bacteria (which is why there are strict regulations about selling it). I think its probably safe to say that all supermarket milk is pasteurised - some more than others. Milks sold from the fridge are generally pasteurised for a shorter time/at a lower temperature than long-life UHT milks sold in cartons in the non-refrigerated aisles.

Homogenisation is the process of emulsifying the cream into the milk to make one homogenous liquid. Unhomogenised milk is where the cream is left to settle on the top of the milk. As far as I can see, there are arguments for and against homogenisation.....but I can't say that I've read a lot into it. I just prefer to have my milk the old fashioned way :okay:

6 litres (1.58 gallons) for SGD $19.80 (USD $15 or $9.50/gallon). This will last about 2 days.

Singapore is an island with almost no farmland so 99% of things are imported.

How much is your milk?

A8667093-9A6C-4921-9608-AFA852E39DE7.jpeg

6 litres (1.58 gallons) for SGD $19.80 (USD $15 or $9.50/gallon). This will last about 2 days.

Singapore is an island with almost no farmland so 99% of things are imported.

How much is your milk?

View attachment 96100
$2.99US/gallon for the cheap stuff, $5.69/gallon for the organic stuff.

That’s at Kroger and pricing just the milk that comes in gallons. If I get two cheap half-gallons, that works out to $3.98/gallon, and two half-gallons of the organic works out to $7.98/gallon.

About $3 per gallon!

View attachment 96102

What do you do with all that milk where it only lasts a couple of days?

Yeah - every time I go over to the US/UK and wander around a supermarket I'm amazed at how cheap produce is. Ah well.

What do we do with it? I have three growing kids (two of them teenage boys) who drink it freely as if it just comes out of cows or something! :)

Yeah - every time I go over to the US/UK and wander around a supermarket I'm amazed at how cheap produce is. Ah well.

What do we do with it? I have three growing kids (two of them teenage boys) who drink it freely as if it just comes out of cows or something! :)
Ohio has a lot of dairy farms and our beef is tasty as well. This time of year nothing is growing of course, but in summer our local produce is bountiful, especially corn and tomatoes.

I remember what it's like to have children at home. Expensive, lol.

Are the caps color coded in other countries like they are in the US? Red for whole, blue for 2%, etc.?

How much is your milk?
We pay £1.93 per litre, which is a tad more expensive than in a supermarket.

Are the caps color coded in other countries like they are in the US? Red for whole, blue for 2%, etc.?
Yep...usually red for skimmed, green for semi-skimmed and blue for whole/full cream.

We pay £1.93 per litre, which is a tad more expensive than in a supermarket.

Yep...usually red for skimmed, green for semi-skimmed and blue for whole/full cream.
Ah, but you're getting the good stuff. I'm sure its not cheap here either (of course not available at my local grocery store).

Back
Top Bottom