Minced Garlic

Do you not have the option of ‘fresh frozen’?

I've never gotten a definitive answer on what happens to garlic when frozen. Besides, I would still have to buy Gilroy garlic, and have it shipped to me. Like I said before, the fresh garlic I can get at the store is really weak in flavor. If it looses any flavor in freezing, there would be no reason to use it.

CD

I've never gotten a definitive answer on what happens to garlic when frozen. Besides, I would still have to buy Gilroy garlic, and have it shipped to me. Like I said before, the fresh garlic I can get at the store is really weak in flavor. If it looses any flavor in freezing, there would be no reason to use it.

CD
It loses little, just that acrid edge, similar to the difference between fresh chopped onion and frozen diced onion.
It’s extremely close to the real deal.
It’s available as 100% garlic either loose chopped or cubed a bit like ice cubes, sometimes (but not usually) it has oil mixed in with it.

freeze it with olive oil in ice cube trays..

I did something similar with ginger. I loved being able to use perfectly portioned, fresh ginger many times after that. But, it’s a lot easier to justify shredding a big knob of ginger. It’s more work peeling and shredding all that garlic. But, if I had a massive amount of garlic, I’d do it. With apologies to Chef Bourdain, the biggest travesty would be letting fresh garlic rot.

View attachment 109126

Anthony Bourdain had very specific ideas about garlic. He believed that there was a sanctity to fresh garlic. He also believed that minced garlic was such an abomination that you should forfeit your use of garlic forever if you ever use it. I can understand this feeling.

Until recently, I never used minced garlic. But, when the supermarket is selling 2 pound jars of minced garlic for $4.27, I don’t mind modifying my policy. As you can see, I have used quite a bit of it. I have made recipes where I loaded up on the garlic. The flavor has been good. I’ve also basically substituted onion with garlic in other recipes.

All this garlic also reinforced what a garlic head I am. I love roasted garlic in anything savory. To be honest, I probably won’t go out and buy a jar of minced garlic again, unless the price is this good.

What are your thoughts on buying minced garlic?

I'm like you an afficionado for garlic. Garlic bread is not garlic bread without real fresh garlic
HOWEVER I have succumbed to jar garlic about 10 years old . Quickness did it for me. I also use jar ginger as well. It's cheap as chips here.

Russ

I have some garlic in the freezer, just peeled cloves.
I'll have to take some out and check if they changed flavour.
Gotta finish my fresh garlic first. I pay around 3-4 U$ per kg

Ginger i(since it was mentioned in this thread) is 4-5 U$ per kg
I buy, use what I need, plant some when they start sprouting and if too much, I peel and freeze in slices. Works well enough for me

I've found that garlic does lose a little when crushed and frozen with oil. But it does make storing it easier. I've also pickled garlic which is great for things like salad dressings. It stores well. I usually just put a day aside to process the garlic I grow. I've not tried shop bought crushed garlic. I prefer to grow my own varieties according to what I like, rather than what the Australian supermarkets think I like (little flavour and no bite)

Ginger over here is $50/kg so I buy it when it's reduced, mince it and freeze that as well.

Fresh tumeric I freeze whole and just grate from frozen. That is better fresh as well. Oddly fresh tumeric isn't hard to find here and considerably cheaper than fresh ginger.

Back
Top Bottom