Flour, Corn
Flour, Rye
Oats
Rice, Brown
Rice, Blend of Multiple Varieties
Rice, Wild
Rye Berries
Wheat Berries

What am I missing that I ought to have/try?

I might consider ...

Amaranth
Bulgar Wheat
Buck Wheat
Flax
Freekah
Kamut
Millet
Quinoa
Sorghum
Spelt
Teff

Reactions: mjd
My current Grains include ...

Barley, Pearl
Farro Perlato
Flour, Corn
Flour, Rye
Oats
Rice, Brown
Rice, Wild
Rye Berries
Wheat Berries

I might consider ...

Amaranth
Bulgar Wheat
Buck Wheat
Flax
Freekah
Kamut
Millet
Quinoa
Sorghum
Spelt
Teff
You've got me beaten by a mile. I have:

Barley
Four kinds of rice
Steel-cut oats

My current Grains include ...

Barley, Pearl
Farro Perlato
Flour, Corn
Flour, Rye
Oats
Rice, Brown
Rice, Wild
Rye Berries
Wheat Berries

I might consider ...

Amaranth
Bulgar Wheat
Buck Wheat
Flax
Freekah
Kamut
Millet
Quinoa
Sorghum
Spelt
Teff

Buckwheat and Bulgur 👍🏻

Grainy semolina is great for a creamy porridge with berry kissel (or for a cheat's polenta). As Morning Glory mentioned, buckwheat goes for e.g. blinis aka Russian style yeast pancakes with roe or gravlax (cured raw salmon), onion and sour cream. Kama ("talkkuna" in Finnish) is a Northern grain mix made with cooked and roasted barley (and oats and rye; depending on the region) and sometimes ground peas and beans. Plain pea flour (not a grain, of course) can be used in e.g. crêpes or granola mix. Finns also use smoked rye and make great commercial meat substitutes from "pulled oats". Link.

I have pea flour and is great in focaccia too

I am a big fan of buckwheat flour too, perfect for bread, focaccia and in polenta taragna

I'm not sure about pea flour. But when altering flour, I can go with spinach and tomato, perhaps carrot. Garlic?

I have (had):

Rice - sushi, basmati, brown, wild (the last is not a true rice, but okay...) I had black forbidden rice and red rice but the mouse invasion got those. (the rest are now safe, and I am getting rid of the mice...) Rice flour.
Buckwheat,
Bulgar wheat, all purpose flour, Farro, emmer wheat, kamut. Some Japanese blends of wheat flour. The mice got the pastry flour.
Old fashioned corn grits,
Amaranth flour, tapioca starch. Almond flour.

EDIT: barley, both polished and not. Millet.

Last edited:
I have (had):

Rice - sushi, basmati, brown, wild (the last is not a true rice, but okay...) I had black forbidden rice and red rice but the mouse invasion got those. (the rest are now safe, and I am getting rid of the mice...) Rice flour.
Buckwheat,
Bulgar wheat, all purpose flour, Farro, emmer wheat, kamut. Some Japanese blends of wheat flour. The mice got the pastry flour.
Old fashioned corn grits,
Amaranth flour, tapioca starch. Almond flour.

EDIT: barley, both polished and not. Millet.

Black and Red Rice? I'll have to look into those.

What is your experience and liking for Kamut?

Thanks for mentioning Grits. I meant to add to my wish list, coarsely crushed Blue Corn.

Black and Red Rice? I'll have to look into those.

What is your experience and liking for Kamut?

Thanks for mentioning Grits. I meant to add to my wish list, coarsely crushed Blue Corn.

I have yet to use the kamut, but it is my understanding that this cooks a lot like farro. I love farro, so I'd ordered a bag (whole grains) this summer. Just alas haven't gotten to it yet. I know you can use it as a flour, and you can use it sprouted and cooked. (or, un-sprouted.) Reminds I really should do this soon!!

I'd like to try that coarsely crushed blue corn! My grits are a mixture of white and yellow corn.

The black or forbidden rice is a Chinese rice - it is generally on the "Sticky" side. It was called "forbidden" because only the Emperor of China (and presumably those in his favor at court) were allowed to eat it. It is often but not always cooked with more sweet food items. (Not being a sweet tooth, I haven't done that myself - however it does had a sweet ambiance all of its own.) It may turn food it is cooked with a dark purple.

Red rice may well have another name, but I can't read Chinese - I just went by the color of the rice in the bag. Unfortunately as noted the pesky mice got to it before I could finish it myself. It has its own properties and taste, but I cook it as I do the white or brown rices.

Camargue Red rice
1604471367466.png
Bomba Spanish rice
1604471461653.png

Back
Top Bottom