Missing from the Grain Bag

Red rice may well have another name, but I can't read Chinese - I just went by the color of the rice in the bag. Unfortunately as noted the pesky mice got to it before I could finish it myself. It has its own properties and taste, but I cook it as I do the white or brown rices.

I meant to make a mention on that mice issue, but forgot. I keep my grains in large glass lock-lid jars (38 Oz. and 67 Oz.) and smaller 16 Oz. Mason and Atlas jars. Stuff that is still in packages that I haven't opened yet are stored in large plastic bins with sealed lids. You can find this sort of glass jars and plastic bins on the web and they are well worth the investment.

The story I can share with you is that I had retrieved a bunch of my things from a storage unit some time ago and within days, found myself invaded by cock roaches. It took me over a month to kill them off. In the meantime, I boosted my storage systems to cut off any chance of them finding food and at the same time, hit the wet areas hard with the bait traps. No more roaches, but a legacy of glass storage and plastic bins.

When it comes to rice, I have sometimes found midge fly larvae spinning silk in the store bought rice. The way to kill these guys off is to freeze the rice.

I meant to make a mention on that mice issue, but forgot. I keep my grains in large glass lock-lid jars (38 Oz. and 67 Oz.) and smaller 16 Oz. Mason and Atlas jars. Stuff that is still in packages that I haven't opened yet are stored in large plastic bins with sealed lids. You can find this sort of glass jars and plastic bins on the web and they are well worth the investment.

The story I can share with you is that I had retrieved a bunch of my things from a storage unit some time ago and within days, found myself invaded by cock roaches. It took me over a month to kill them off. In the meantime, I boosted my storage systems to cut off any chance of them finding food and at the same time, hit the wet areas hard with the bait traps. No more roaches, but a legacy of glass storage and plastic bins.

When it comes to rice, I have sometimes found midge fly larvae spinning silk in the store bought rice. The way to kill these guys off is to freeze the rice.

Do you freeze the rice then take it out or keep it frozen? I've never seen that problem but now I'm "icked" out. LOL

Do you freeze the rice then take it out or keep it frozen? I've never seen that problem but now I'm "icked" out. LOL

Just freeze the rice for a day (or two). That usually works. Don't be icked. There's always something in natural foods and often, you don't even know about it.

Reactions: mjd

Actually, the larvae I have seen in rice are not Midge Fly larvae, but the worms from a small moth. Midge Fly larvae are blood red, not white. In any case, freezing kills the larvae and any eggs.

Actually, the larvae I have seen in rice are not Midge Fly larvae, but the worms from a small moth. Midge Fly larvae are blood red, not white. In any case, freezing kills the larvae and any eggs.

I'm going to put this in perspective for you (smile). When we were married, my ex and I owned a bearded dragon from Australia. We had to feed him crickets which we fed OJ. I would have him count how many he put in the tank before he left for work. I came home from work to find a cricket on the living room floor. I screamed like I was being chased by Freddy Krueger. I was already on top of the counter by that point. I finally got the courage to make the long leap to my kitchen table and out the door. Needless to say, I refused to go back in there until he got off work and caught my "predator." The only insect that doesn't scare me is butterflies. Beyond that, a hotel stay is a quick remedy to not cohabitating with any others.

MJ + bugs = NO.

Last edited:
I meant to make a mention on that mice issue, but forgot. I keep my grains in large glass lock-lid jars (38 Oz. and 67 Oz.) and smaller 16 Oz. Mason and Atlas jars.

Yes, I end up putting my rice and other grains outside for about 3 days every winter when it is well below freezing. So I'm not getting those critters.

The cockroach story... yikes.

I am slowly getting more and more lock-lid jars.... and I am not hesitating to use my zap traps.

I'd like to try that coarsely crushed blue corn! My grits are a mixture of white and yellow corn.

I have (2) packs of Yellow Corn Flour and about a cup remaining Rye Flour.

I just ordered Coarse Ground Blue Corn Grits and Blue Corn Meal from an online source "Homestead Gristmill."

I will be getting (2) 1 Lb. packs of Blue Corn Grits and (1) 10Lb. bag of Blue Corn Meal (Flour). That should keep me going for a while.

I've already got a recipe idea stuck in my head for a Central American meal and will put it into planning once I receive my blue corn stuff. It'll be time to create some spicy black bean paste and some cayenne pepper oil.

Today, I got around to photographing my grain inventory.

full.jpg

Brown Rice

full.jpg

Barley, Brown Rice, Farro Perlato and a Rice Blend

full.jpg

Wheat Berries, Rye Berries, Red Rice, Black Rice and Long Grain Wild Rice

Here are some more photos for this thread ...

full.jpg

Oats

full.jpg

Ground Yellow Corn - Polenta or Yellow Corn Grits, Yellow Cornmeal and Yellow Corn Flour or Harina

full.jpg

Ground Blue Corn - Blue Corn Grits, Blue Cornmeal and Blue Corn Flour or Harina

full.jpg

Polenta or Yellow Corn Grits

full.jpg

Packaged Polenta

Back
Top Bottom