Pepper, White
Tumeric

Caraway seeds
Cardamom pods (green and black
Coriander seeds
Chilli powder (Kashmiri is good)
Cloves
Fenugreek seeds
Juniper berries (the last Recipe challenge ingredient so there are lots of recipes on the forum)
Poppy seeds
Yellow mustard seeds

That's a few that I have in addition to yours as listed.

Turmeric?

I've heard that it's good for arthritis so I just bought some. I'm looking forward to finding recipes with it. Some days are better than others but I always have a hard time when it gets cold here (Midwest, USA).

Tumeric, like some other spices, is both a flavoring agent and a food coloring agent.

Many spices and other foods have particular health benefits of the home remedy type.

Turmeric?

I've heard that it's good for arthritis so I just bought some. I'm looking forward to finding recipes with it. Some days are better than others but I always have a hard time when it gets cold here (Midwest, USA).

Turmeric is widely used here in Portugal. It gives an interesting taste to stews. It's also a staple on Valenciana rice which is really just a simplified paella. No idea why but all the english recipes I find say it's a filipino dish and include coconut milk. I thought it's a spanish dish and ours never included coconut milk. We usually use peas, sliced carrots, pieces of chicken and sliced chorizo; sometimes we add shrimps or clams and sliced canned sausages. Season with salt, pepper and turmeric, add rice and let it cook in water and white wine.

Me and my grandmother were having a discussion about the health effects of turmeric a couple weeks ago. Turns out for you to feel an effect, you need to be consuming large amounts everyday (can't remember how much but we found the quantity on Google).

Turmeric is widely used here in Portugal. It gives an interesting taste to stews. It's also a staple on Valenciana rice which is really just a simplified paella. No idea why but all the english recipes I find say it's a filipino dish and include coconut milk. I thought it's a spanish dish and ours never included coconut milk. We usually use peas, sliced carrots, pieces of chicken and sliced chorizo; sometimes we add shrimps or clams and sliced canned sausages. Season with salt, pepper and turmeric, add rice and let it cook in water and white wine.

Me and my grandmother were having a discussion about the health effects of turmeric a couple weeks ago. Turns out for you to feel an effect, you need to be consuming large amounts everyday (can't remember how much but we found the quantity on Google).

I will have to try to make that dish. It sounds lovely.

I was in the hospital for 10 days over the Summer and my doctor told me that his wife often cooks with Turmeric and he doesn't have joint problems. It's the first time I heard a medical doctor praise a natural remedy (I prefer those kind of providers). I used to take it in capsule form and didn't notice any effects which is why I bought the ground spice.

I will research the quantities and see what I come up with. I am willing to try anything at this point. ;-)

P.S. How did your ultrasound go? I hope your leg is doing better.

Be aware that turmeric is a natural blood thinner, so if you're already on blood thinners, it'll amplify the effect. When MrsT went on thinners after her stroke, that was the first thing listed on the sheet of no-no's, and it was the one thing both the doctor and the nurse separately singled out as a forbidden substance.

I used to take it in capsule form and didn't notice any effects which is why I bought the ground spice.

Better still is the fresh root (from which the dried ground turmeric is made). It keeps well in the freezer and can be grated from frozen. I have some nearly always as it has such a lovely fragrant taste. Available in some supermarkets in the UK these days or from Asian shops.

Better still is the fresh root (from which the dried ground turmeric is made). It keeps well in the freezer and can be grated from frozen. I have some nearly always as it has such a lovely fragrant taste. Available in some supermarkets in the UK these days or from Asian shops.

My local WalMart doesn't sell it fresh which is why I bought the spice. I have to get a COVID test on Wednesday in another town and will stop by the Asian grocery store to see if they have it. Thanks for the tip!

I will have to try to make that dish. It sounds lovely.

I was in the hospital for 10 days over the Summer and my doctor told me that his wife often cooks with Turmeric and he doesn't have joint problems. It's the first time I heard a medical doctor praise a natural remedy (I prefer those kind of providers). I used to take it in capsule form and didn't notice any effects which is why I bought the ground spice.

I will research the quantities and see what I come up with. I am willing to try anything at this point. ;-)

P.S. How did your ultrasound go? I hope your leg is doing better.

Dear mjd-lovescooking you are always kind and thoughtful 🥰 My ultrasound went really well my leg is physically fine I'm probably lacking magnesium (I'm already supplementing but it's not enough).

Reactions: mjd
Dear mjd-lovescooking you are always kind and thoughtful 🥰 My ultrasound went really well my leg is physically fine I'm probably lacking magnesium (I'm already supplementing but it's not enough).

I'm glad your leg is doing better. Have you ever tried magnesium supplements? I take them and they seem to help.

Thank you for the compliment. I try to be kind always (shh...some people test my resolve ;-).

My Spices/Herbs include ...

Anise 12 Oz.
Basil 3.6 Oz.
Basil, Sweet 0.25 Oz.
Bay Leaves, Ground 7.0 Oz.
Carraway Seed 12 Oz.
Cayenne Pepper 15 Oz.
Cayenne Powder 0.5 Oz.
Chevril 1.5 Oz.
Chili Powder 28 Oz.
Cilantro 2.0 Oz.
Cumin 1.4 Oz.
Dill Weed 5.1 Oz.
Fennel 15 Oz.
Habnero Pepper 2.0 Oz.
Marjoram 2.8 Oz.
Mustard Seed, Black 12.0 Oz.
Oregano 7.5 Oz.
Paprika, Sweet 5 Oz.
Pepper, Black 12 Oz.
Rosemary 3.5 Oz.
Saffron On Order
Sage, Ground 6 Oz.
Sage, Whole 5 Oz.
Savory 4.8 Oz.
Sesame Seed 1.5 Oz.
Tarragon 2 Oz.
Thyme (Tomillo) 4.3 Oz.

What am I missing that I ought to have?

I figure at least ...

Allspice
Cinamon
Pepper, White
Tumeric
I think you have a colossal supply of spices but you asked for more so:
Peruvian pepper (rosé pepper/pink peppercorns), green pepper, dried parsley, dried Kaffir lime leaves, dried Porcini (Boletus edulis) powder, dried lovage (Levisticum officinale), dried nettle (stinging nettle/Urtica dioica) and dried citrus zest came to my mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom