Monday is Thanksgiving here in Canada!

L_B

Veteran
Local time
8:58 AM
Well Thanksgiving is upon us once again in Canada. I have been busy getting stuff in for our annual Thanksgiving day feast. We are having the traditional turkey dinner with all the fixings. I am not a fan of pumpkin pie so I am thinking we will have cheesecake of some sort for dessert. I have been online trying to find that perfect one. This is one of my favorite holidays. I even have a four day weekend which is awesome! I need the extra time to prepare anyway so that works out good.

Gee, that's another big event in Canada. I see that your thanksgiving day is patterned after America's except that it falls on a Thursday. And what is your specialty dishes aside from the turkey? I had once tasted a turkey in a hotel here. It is very expensive but it was a treat by a foreigner friend. The star of the buffet table was the turkey. That's when I got to know that the taste of the turkey depends on the gravy and also the stuffing. To me, it seems like chicken meat is more tasty than turkey meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: L_B
I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving day. I think having days like these is a good idea, where family can get together for sharing, not only a meal, but time together as well. We do not celebrate Thanksgiving day in my country. I would gladly welcome it though. It is a good way of giving thanks for what we have as well as sharing it with others. Also, it is a time to just unwind and relax. Christmas is the biggest time over here for us, but it is a lot more hectic and people tend to work very hard around this time of year, although it is still enjoyable.

Happy Thanksgiving for Monday! I'm already looking forward to celebrating American Thanksgiving at the end of November. It's definitely a favorite holiday of mine for both the sentiment behind it and also the delicious foods! Although I have to say I am a huge fan of pumpkin pie! It's one of the things I love the most! Pecan, pumpkin and apple pies all get made on Thanksgiving here - yummy!

Thank you every body for the well wishes. It certainly is a wonderful time of year and a great day to spend with family. I am thankful for my beautiful family and my wonderful life. I really couldn't ask for more.

@Corzhens I agree that chicken is more tastier then turkey. Turkey tends to be more drier. It is all in how it is prepared and like you said with the dressing and the gravy. With our turkey we have mashed potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes and squash, along with other vegetables, homemade buns and of course the stuffing and gravy. Usually everybody is too full to eat dessert so they end up taking it home with them to enjoy later.

Even though it falls on Monday we will be having our Thanksgiving meal on Sunday.

I'm Canadian too, and we are off to my brother's tonight to celebrate with family and being thankful for all our blessings. Of course we have my son's hockey game to go to first. So it doesn't get much more Canadian than that. Thanksgiving in Canada is always the second Monday in October, I think most families get together on the Sunday but some will do Monday as well. My brother is having turkey with his in-laws on Monday so he is making us a prime rib roast, roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots, and chocolate cake for dessert. Tomorrow night I'm making a turkey, stuffing, corn and pumpkin pie for my family. Let the feasting begin.

Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians! I didn't realize y'all ate pretty much the same things we do for our Thankgiving. Both of those meals sound delicious. I'm looking forward to our American Thanksgiving next month, and am currently thinking about what I'm going to cook for it.

After eating turkey for the past 4 days I can say that I have had my fill of turkey until Christmas. It was good while it lasted but nice to see it come to an end. We did make some turkey soup which we froze to enjoy at a later time! :)

Back
Top Bottom