Monthly cheese club

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
5:58 PM
On the 3rd Tuesday of every month our local pub hosts a cheese club. The branch manager of a deli brings 4 different types of cheese, a different theme every month.
We are given a sheet of paper with details of each cheese. The manager Sam explains where the cheese came from and how it is made, we eat the cheese. Sam then talks about the 2nd cheese and so on.
Last night the first cheese was L-R, Morbier-unpasteurised cow, alpine semi soft. It was nice with a mild taste but not something I would buy.
The next was La Serena-ewes soft natural rind: it smelled and tasted sour a few people said it smelt of baby sick, not nice.
Next was Gorgonzola DOP-pasteurised cows semi soft blue, it was nice but not the best blue I have had.
The final cheese: Sam bought along a 40kg Parmigiano Reggiano-unpasteurised cows Italian hard cheese. Sam cut it in half and gave out shavings, it was delicious, a lot of flavour.

It is a great social evening, we go with a couple of friends and meet others at the pub, have a few drinks and a lot of laughs.

Last night's cheese club: L-R
Pitchfork: unpasteurised cows Somerset Cheddar-a firm texture but tasted of hay

Almanas Tegal: unpasteurised cow Alpine style Swedish hard cheese-a firm texture and nutty flavour.

Colston Bassett Stilton: pasteurised cow Hand made Stilton, a gorgeous blue.

Brie de Meaux: unpasteurised cow King of cheeses-a really delicious brie.

There won't be another cheese club now until next January however the deli are back at the pub in 2 weeks time, they are providing the cheese board for the Christmas dinner, the Manager Sam has ptomised to bring a couple of bottles of wine for us all to try and of course we can buy stuff too.

Last night we went to our local pub for cheese club Christmas dinner, the pub provided the 1st 2 couses and the deli provided the cheese board.

The cheese at the front is Melusine-unpasteurised goat French soft, bloom rind-very nice

Clock-wise: Tomme de Vache aux Truffe- unpasteurised cow, Pyrenean semi-soft with truffles-not to my taste

Stichelton-unpasteurised cow-original recipe Stilton- a gorgeous blue.

The accompanyments: fruit toast, mango vinegar, fig and date vinegar, dark chocolate and fig salami, fig ball and Membrillo-a bar of quince jelly. The mango vinegar and salami were heavenly.

Last night we went to our local pub for cheese club Christmas dinner, the pub provided the 1st 2 couses and the deli provided the cheese board.

View attachment 35379

The cheese at the front is Melusine-unpasteurised goat French soft, bloom rind-very nice

Clock-wise: Tomme de Vache aux Truffe- unpasteurised cow, Pyrenean semi-soft with truffles-not to my taste

Stichelton-unpasteurised cow-original recipe Stilton- a gorgeous blue.

The accompanyments: fruit toast, mango vinegar, fig and date vinegar, dark chocolate and fig salami, fig ball and Membrillo-a bar of quince jelly. The mango vinegar and salami were heavenly.
What were the pub-provided courses?

What were the pub-provided courses?

We both started with a camembert, fig and caramalised onion tart, had we known it was going to be so big we wouldn't have chosen it, for the main we had traditional, turkey, roast potatoes, stuffing, chipolatas, sprouts.

There were other choices, a veggie choice for starter and main, or starter of spring rolls on a bed of salad and the other main was a turkey burger with chips and slaw.

The deli owner bought some wines to try and various bits and pieces, we both tried the sherry and it was lovely so we bought a bottle-never thought that would happen.

I like the idea of a cheese club like you describe, Lullabelle!

(Well, I could wish there were one around me!)

The deli who provide used to have a branch in our town but it closed down so the branch manager Sam now travels 30 miles from their other branch to get here. It is a relay good fun social evening.

The deli owner bought some wines to try and various bits and pieces, we both tried the sherry and it was lovely so we bought a bottle-never thought that would happen.
When we were younger, we always kind of laughed at those scenes in movies/TV shows where stuffy old men and frumpy old women had a glass of port or sherry or Madeira. Now we have a bottle of each! :)

I have always associated sherry with ladies of a certain age :wink:
Harvey's Bristol Cream, at least here, has a very strong association with faux sophistication. Back in the '70's, there was an ad campaign with slinky women, and smooth men, and the way to get girl to stay for breakfast, so to speak, was to let her know you had a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream, then as soon as she realized that, all her no, no, no protestations turned into yes, yes, yes, why am I still in this dress? :laugh:

Harvey's Bristol Cream, at least here, has a very strong association with faux sophistication. Back in the '70's, there was an ad campaign with slinky women, and smooth men, and the way to get girl to stay for breakfast, so to speak, was to let her know you had a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream, then as soon as she realized that, all her no, no, no protestations turned into yes, yes, yes, why am I still in this dress? :laugh:

Lol, I remember a meme I saw recently, a chick pulling her knickers down, it said , oh, you ride a triumph, I won't be needing these then,lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom