Morning bread called pandesal

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
2:25 AM
Here in the Philippines, our bread in the morning is called pandesal, a Spanish name to mean bread of salt. But don't be mistaken because it is not salty as the name implies. It is oval in form as big as the hand of a child. It is normal for bakeries to sell pandesal in the morning only that's why we call it morning bread.

In my next post, I will try to post a photo of the pandesal and also the recipe perhaps.

I wonder why it's called morning bread? Does the dough perhaps sit overnight and rise? I'm interested to see a picture and what the recipe involves. I grew up eating so many more types of bread than are available here, and would like to try making them all eventually.

It's a bread similar to a French bagette ,little handling ,high heat,little shelf life best eaten in the morning with honey or jams

Here in the Philippines, our bread in the morning is called pandesal, a Spanish name to mean bread of salt. But don't be mistaken because it is not salty as the name implies. It is oval in form as big as the hand of a child. It is normal for bakeries to sell pandesal in the morning only that's why we call it morning bread.

In my next post, I will try to post a photo of the pandesal and also the recipe perhaps.

This Morning bread called "pandesal" that is originated in the Philippines during the Spanish Regime is also sometimes called the "Filipino bread roll". While still baking it in the oven you can already smell its aroma. It is best to eat this kind of bread while it is hot. You can eat it plain or spread butter or any kind of jam to the bread. You can eat this together with hot coffee of your choice or with hot chocolate. It is been years that I had not eaten pandesal since I migrated to other country. That is why when I saw this post I began to miss my favorite pandesal.

Curiously the name translates as "Bread of Salt" apparently.
The recipe is from here http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/08/13/filipino-food-bread-of-salt-pandesal-recipe/
Ingredients
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups bread flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 5 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/4 cup fresh milk, warm
  • 1 pouch rapid rise yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 piece raw egg
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil

Instructions
  1. Combine the yeast, sugar, and warm milk and stir until the yeast and sugar are fully dissolved
  2. In the mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients starting with the flour then the sugar, salt, and baking powder . Mix well by stirring
  3. Add the egg, butter, cooking oil, and yeast-sugar-milk mixture in the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients then mix again until a dough is formed. Use your clean hands to effectively mix the ingredients.
  4. In a flat surface, knead the dough until the texture becomes fine. For faster and easier kneading, you may use a Stand Mixer with dough hook.
  5. Mold the dough until shape becomes round then put back in the mixing bowl. Cover the mixing bowl with damp cloth and let the dough rise for at least 1 hour
  6. Put the dough back to the flat surface and divide into 4 equal parts using a dough slicer
  7. Roll each part until it forms a cylindrical shape
  8. Slice the cylindrical dough diagonally (These slices will be the individual pieces of the pandesal)
  9. Roll the sliced dough over the breadcrumbs and place in a baking tray with wax paper (makes sure to provide gaps between dough as this will rise later on)
  10. Leave the sliced dough with breadcrumbs in the tray for another 10 to 15 minutes to rise
  11. Pre-heat the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes
  12. Put the tray with dough in the oven and bake for 15 minutes
  13. Turn off the oven and remove the freshly baked pandesal.
  14. Serve hot. Share and enjoy!

@SatNavSaysStraightOn thank you so much for saving me the effort of posting the recipe and the photo of the pandesal. Yes, that's it in the picture you posted. For the poor, they use butter and that's their breakfast. But for the middle class, it is taken as an ordinary bread with omelet or ham, etc. For the leftover, it can be toasted and serve as afternoon snack.

That was too quick of you I was just about to google the bread of salt as I prefer my food to be quite salty but not too over the top salty. That would explain it why I prefer bacon on my cooking maybe I can introduce bacon to this bread of salt recipe mentioned above I wonder how it would taste like. I can not wait to see for myself.

This bread sounds so good. Rolling the unbaked dough in the bread crumbs sounds interesting. I can just imagine how good this will be with a cup of coffee and a bit of jam or marmalade in the morning! I will definitly be trying this out as soon as it cools down this Fall and I can use the oven again.

Looks good to eat. I would have it with soup as well. Aspharagus soup to be precise.

This bread sounds so good. Rolling the unbaked dough in the bread crumbs sounds interesting. I can just imagine how good this will be with a cup of coffee and a bit of jam or marmalade in the morning! I will definitly be trying this out as soon as it cools down this Fall and I can use the oven again.

Coffee and pandesal is actually the usual combination here. Some people, especially the poor who cannot buy hot dog or eggs, just dip the pandesal in the coffee and that is their breakfast already. For most of us here, we seldom use marmalade with the bread unless the match is bacon and eggs. That's what we call a royal breakfast, hahahaaa. Marmalade is expensive here, you know. But mostly, it is just butter for us or sometimes cheese that goes well with the morning bread.

I am very interested in the bread conversation after my near big failed first attempt at bread making. These look good and the ingredients are right here. It's been too hot to think of baking recently but who knows? I just might go for it soon again.

Back
Top Bottom