Murican night tonight

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:19 AM
Golden fries and southern fried chicken tonight because I just feel like it. Mr 7 here loves it as well, so it's his treat tonight.
I've got chicken in brine as Thomas Kellers cooks. Then ill precook later in buttermilk and floured and herbed mix. And maybe onion rings as well?? With salad. I'm hungry just thinking of it.
Orange chic chip ice cream for anyone that wants some, I know mr7 will.

Russ

Golden fries and southern fried chicken tonight because I just feel like it. Mr 7 here loves it as well, so it's his treat tonight.
I've got chicken in brine as Thomas Kellers cooks. Then ill precook later in buttermilk and floured and herbed mix. And maybe onion rings as well?? With salad. I'm hungry just thinking of it.
Orange chic chip ice cream for anyone that wants some, I know mr7 will.

Russ
Southern fried chicken is one of my guilty pleasures. I love it! When I buy large packages of chicken thighs (my husband's favourite part of the chicken), I separate and freeze most of them in seasoned buttermilk then flour them later before frying.

In NE Ohio where I live, they have this thing called "Barberton Chicken". People up here go on and on about it. My husband's aunts kept saying, "Oh you have to try it," and I did. Several times. Not impressed. It's a strongly seasoned chicken with a thick crust, not the delicate crispy chicken skin that I grew up on.

No one made better fried chicken than my SE Texas grandma, who was actually born and raised in Many, Louisiana (Cajun country) before meeting and marrying my grandpa and moving to Texas. She knew how to use a cast iron skillet like no other and had a fine array of them in her kitchen. Her Southern fried chicken had a kick to it, and her sweet honey corn bread was amazing. She grew an organic composted garden out back and had chickens running about, with huge pecan trees growing in the yard--she used to send us kids shimmying up the trees to shake the branches and let the pecans fall down (when our ma wasn't around to yell "y'all get down from there right now"). Don't get me started about grandma's pecan pie! But she never had a frozen chicken in her life I'd bet. She went out back and found a fat one and that was dinner.

So every time in the past I have gone South, I always went to some mom and pop diner to get fried chicken, mashed potatoes, greens, and cornbread.

Please post a pic.

Southern fried chicken is one of my guilty pleasures. I love it! When I buy large packages of chicken thighs (my husband's favourite part of the chicken), I separate and freeze most of them in seasoned buttermilk then flour them later before frying.

In NE Ohio where I live, they have this thing called "Barberton Chicken". People up here go on and on about it. My husband's aunts kept saying, "Oh you have to try it," and I did. Several times. Not impressed. It's a strongly seasoned chicken with a thick crust, not the delicate crispy chicken skin that I grew up on.

No one made better fried chicken than my SE Texas grandma, who was actually born and raised in Many, Louisiana (Cajun country) before meeting and marrying my grandpa and moving to Texas. She knew how to use a cast iron skillet like no other and had a fine array of them in her kitchen. Her Southern fried chicken had a kick to it, and her sweet honey corn bread was amazing. She grew an organic composted garden out back and had chickens running about, with huge pecan trees growing in the yard--she used to send us kids shimmying up the trees to shake the branches and let the pecans fall down (when our ma wasn't around to yell "y'all get down from there right now"). Don't get me started about grandma's pecan pie! But she never had a frozen chicken in her life I'd bet. She went out back and found a fat one and that was dinner.

So every time in the past I have gone South, I always went to some mom and pop diner to get fried chicken, mashed potatoes, greens, and cornbread.

Please post a pic.
Since you're in Ohio and not terribly far away (as in, a good weekend trip), if you're not familiar with "The Fried Chicken Trail" in southeastern Indiana, you might want to check it out - it's a string of dozens of bars, restaurants, churches, grocery stores, delis, etc that specialize in fried chicken. Lots of people make vacations around just eating fried chicken three times a day.

I looked it up, and Barberton fried chicken looks a lot like the fried chicken Frankenmuth, MI specializes in, and if it's the same, you're right...not much to get excited about. Remember Shake-N-Bake chicken seasoning mix? Uh-huh....that about sums it up.

It's been awhile since I've had fried chicken. It's been ages since I made it -- other than deep fried wings for Buffalo Wings. Good cast-iron pan fried chicken is the best, but the mess it makes is outrageous.

CD

Since you're in Ohio and not terribly far away (as in, a good weekend trip), if you're not familiar with "The Fried Chicken Trail" in southeastern Indiana, you might want to check it out - it's a string of dozens of bars, restaurants, churches, grocery stores, delis, etc that specialize in fried chicken. Lots of people make vacations around just eating fried chicken three times a day.

I looked it up, and Barberton fried chicken looks a lot like the fried chicken Frankenmuth, MI specializes in, and if it's the same, you're right...not much to get excited about. Remember Shake-N-Bake chicken seasoning mix? Uh-huh....that about sums it up.
I can't wrap my head around eating fried chicken once a day, much less three times a day! That can't be good. It's about a once every couple of months kinda thing for me to make it, but if I happen to be going through Indiana, I will look before we go to see if anything like that is on our path. Hubby would agree to go on a Bourbon Trail in KY, but I don't think he would want to drive very far out of our way to eat some fried chicken!

Please post a pic.

What was in the Barberton mix? Please

Russ

It's been awhile since I've had fried chicken. It's been ages since I made it -- other than deep fried wings for Buffalo Wings. Good cast-iron pan fried chicken is the best, but the mess it makes is outrageous.

CD

Tell me about the mess, I'm home alone so I took my time. I just pre cooked it now. I know it's good!!

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
What was in the Barberton mix? Please

Russ
Weirdly enough, I just read after researching (because I disliked it so much when I ate it) that it is plain breading with NO seasoning (UGH, even worse than heavy seasoning). I somehow mistakenly thought it was heavily herb seasoned. In my defense, I haven't eaten it in 15 years. It was that bad (to me).

I was wrong about the preparation. I was wrong.

Damn, my husband would like me to repeat that statement several times. "I was wrong. I was wrong."

But anyway.

Weirdly enough, I just read after researching (because I disliked it so much when I ate it) that it is plain breading with NO seasoning (UGH, even worse than heavy seasoning). I somehow mistakenly thought it was heavily herb seasoned. In my defense, I haven't eaten it in 15 years. It was that bad (to me).

I was wrong about the preparation. I was wrong.

Damn, my husband would like me to repeat that statement several times. "I was wrong. I was wrong."

But anyway.

Ok, I'm not going down that path.

Russ

The best fried chicken I ever had was Hubers Farm Restaurant . It's in Southern Indiana on a real farm. Everything is made from fresh vegetables and ingredients and that must include the ham and chicken because they are incredible. Nearly everything is grown right there. I don't even like ham that much but it was delicious. They brought us this spread for 2 people to share. Highly recommended and if you like fried chicken you won't get any closer to heaven.

The best fried chicken I ever had was Hubers Farm Restaurant . It's in Southern Indiana on a real farm. Everything is made from fresh vegetables and ingredients and that must include the ham and chicken because they are incredible. Nearly everything is grown right there. I don't even like ham that much but it was delicious. They brought us this spread for 2 people to share. Highly recommended and if you like fried chicken you won't get any closer to heaven.
I've been there!

Continuing the southeastern Indiana fried chicken topic, my favorite place to go is Wagner's in Oldenburg. Oldenburg is a German-settled little town, it's really cute without trying, and they have a decent German festival in July (Freudenfest, cancelled this year :().

Nice to know. i will make sure I get there once there is a vaccine. My sister lives in Southern Indiana and we generally take off for an entire day with a random destination in mind.

Continuing the southeastern Indiana fried chicken topic, my favorite place to go is Wagner's in Oldenburg. Oldenburg is a German-settled little town, it's really cute without trying, and they have a decent German festival in July (Freudenfest, cancelled this year :().

Back
Top Bottom