Recipe Mushroom Brie Soup

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
8:24 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Prep Time: 15 minutes (the rest can occur while other parts cook).
Cook Time: 25 + 15 + 15 + 10 = 1 hour.
Rest Time: not required.
Serves: 2-3.
Cuisine: European
Leftovers: Yes. Nuke or use stove top.

soup-served.jpg

Mushroom and Brie Soup
  • 15 ounces / 425 grams mushrooms, I chose cremini/baby Bella. Remove dirt by wiping, if any, and quarter them. If you use shiitake, remove the stems.
  • 1.5 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee.
  • 2 large shallots or 1 medium onion or 1-2 leeks (whites). Diced.
  • 1-2 cloves of chopped garlic.
  • 3/4 tablespoon flour. (There’s so little I think it is fine to omit if you wish!)
  • 1.25 cups / 300 mL chicken or vegetable low sodium broth. (You are welcome to knotch it up a bit with home-made!)
  • 1/4 cup / 60 mL Marsala wine.
  • Pepper and salt to taste. It’s not much!
  • 1 tablespoon thyme. Fresh is perhaps best, but I used dried.
  • 1.5 teaspoons dried tarragon.
  • 4 ounces Brie cheese, ideally with mushroom inclusions, peeled and chunked.
  • 1/4 cup / 60 mL heavy cream.
Preheat your oven to 400 F / 205 C.

Toss your DRY mushroom pieces onto an oven-ready pan, and add nothing else. Place in aforementioned oven for 20-25 minutes, periodically pulling them out to toss, to keep from burning.

While this is happening, melt your butter or ghee in a large deep skillet at medium heat, and when melted, sauté your onion/shallot/leeks, for 5 – 10 minutes, or until beginning to get translucent. Then, add the minced garlic.

Let this sauté for another five minutes, or until everything is surely soft.

Add the flour, and mix in; the butter will prevent lumping.

Now it’s time for fun with vino… pour in the Marsala and deglaze the skillet.

Yes, there’s a reason you are using a large skillet…. next add in the mushrooms, and the chicken/veggie broth, the thyme and tarragon. Allow to simmer lightly, not boil…, for around 15 minutes. Cover during this process. Taste, add a little salt and freshly ground pepper. Oh, yes, turn the oven off!

Using an immersion blender (and a deeper container!!!!) blend this to your preferred level of chunkiness. I like a little chunk to remain in most of my soups. You may have to do this in divided batches, depending on your container and/or how much soup you are making.

Add the dairy items…. the cream and the Brie… and mix occasionally, until everything melts.

If you judge it thicker than you’d like, add more broth.

Return to heat, briefly, and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.

Serve, with garnishes of your choice: fresh mushroom? Fresh thyme or tarragon? Scallion shreds? In my case, I went with thinly sliced slivers of that baby leek mentioned above. And a little dried tarragon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very inspired, combining the earthiness of mushrooms with brie...I never thought of it before, but brie has an earthy quality, too.

4 ounces Brie cheese, ideally with mushroom inclusions, peeled and chunked.

What are these?

Interesting recipe! Just a question: what is ghee, please?

Ghee is clarified butter. I usually just use butter if I don't have any ghee handy.

Back
Top Bottom