my daily "outdoor" cooking: a wok!

bburned

Local time
8:50 AM
I use a wok maybe 4x a week. during the good weather months, sometimes daily. it is fantastic. I took a chance and bought this wok burner for $98 on Amazon, and it has been amazing. I just tap it into my propane jug under my bbq grill and it is game on. I promised myself I would get a small stainless table and cut a hole in it to counter-sink the wok, but I just haven't wanted to. I use the JANKYIEST set up. I repurposed an old water fountain and made it a tad taller with a paving stone I had in my yard :).

the burner has been way better than what I expected $98 to buy me. it has a pilot light, so I can shut off the heat to add ingredients and then I can simply fire it back up to "jet engine" hot to proceed with cooking. my first cooked wok meal was a mess. a charred and oily mess. I have gotten much more proficient.

I NEVER wok indoor because my cooking hood vent would get overwhelmed by the cooking oil and fumes. it is painless and easy cleanup outdoors. my poor neighbors. :)

I use an electric wok. It works fine for me. My wife wouldn't know how to use it.

Russ
My husband still doesn't know where to put things when unloading the dishwasher. Which is why I ask him not to unload it, but he still does it anyway trying to be helpful. Slows me down in the kitchen when I am trying to find something!

I let DH make fried rice one night in the wok not long ago. He didn't know where the wok was kept. I also made a couple of suggestions to him about how to make it but that made him irritated, so I just shut up and let him overcook the veggies and steam the rice to mush (he put a lid on the wok). I ate it anyway and thanked him for his efforts. He apologized afterwards and said I was right (I about fainted he admitted I was right, LOL).

I use a wok maybe 4x a week. during the good weather months, sometimes daily. it is fantastic. I took a chance and bought this wok burner for $98 on Amazon, and it has been amazing. I just tap it into my propane jug under my bbq grill and it is game on. I promised myself I would get a small stainless table and cut a hole in it to counter-sink the wok, but I just haven't wanted to. I use the JANKYIEST set up. I repurposed an old water fountain and made it a tad taller with a paving stone I had in my yard :).

the burner has been way better than what I expected $98 to buy me. it has a pilot light, so I can shut off the heat to add ingredients and then I can simply fire it back up to "jet engine" hot to proceed with cooking. my first cooked wok meal was a mess. a charred and oily mess. I have gotten much more proficient.

I NEVER wok indoor because my cooking hood vent would get overwhelmed by the cooking oil and fumes. it is painless and easy cleanup outdoors. my poor neighbors. :)

View attachment 86086
A wok like this looks great. I'd want to use it over a charcoal grill, however (as that is what I have)

I have a wok for my Weber kettle. It get's very hot, and works great.

View attachment 86096
I love this option. I have a wok with a wood handle so it kinda wanted to roast the handle when I used it on my friend's weber grill. it wasn't a good option for me. the handle was untouchable in short order. I also SUCK at the wok toss and use the burner ring edge as a contact point, I would turn a Weber over. but overall, my WEBER kettle is my favorite cooking thing in my backyard.

Back
Top Bottom