My Debit Card was Breached

I pay cash for gas. And for online transactions, I use use a loadable card which I never have more than what I will need loaded on it. This loadable card is free and without fees. If you use a loadable card, there's a trick to getting one that is without fees to reload it.
That is interesting. First info of such a loadable card to me.
We use the same principle for public transport cards.

We did something similar for my mum whilst she was stranded in Australia for the first 6 months of Covid-19 but whilst it was a visa card and EFTPOS card, it had credit on it. So we'd put $1,000 on it which my mum could spend, but she could only spend that $1,000 she couldn't go over that figure. If we put $500 on it, that was the limit. She could ring a number and enter a password to get the total left to spend on the card etc. (And no we didn't get the money back despite all three promises but we never expected to. ) It was there to make her life a little less stressful because she didn't have any cards at all with her. Originally they were paying cash as they went and larger purchases went on my step-father's credit card but only he could do that. Mum couldn't even get herself a coffee or anything etc. Originally they would have been fine for 6 weeks but they ended up there for 6 months.

Check with your bank and see if they will let you create a free account just for a single debit card for the purpose of internet and other secure transactions. It should allow you to transfer funds into it as you need to from your normal checking account. You never put more in than you will use that day and it remains empty or nearly so, most of the time.

Check with your bank and see if they will let you create a free account just for a single debit card for the purpose of internet and other secure transactions. It should allow you to transfer funds into it as you need to from your normal checking account. You never put more in than you will use that day and it remains empty or nearly so, most of the time.
Interesting thought. I might.

Try Lifelock. They are supposed to be good. They help protect you from hackers who try to gain access to your accounts & personal info. :whistling:

Lifelock used to be its own company, but were bought by Symantec and bundled with Norton security software. I'm not sure what true good they are. I worry sometimes that these software packages might be more harmful than the hackers. They, after all, have employees whose security can be questionable, especially today when software companies habitually hire cheap, from overseas tech farms like Infosys, who cram people through schools and then market them abroad. When I was at University, some of these tech farm people were there and it was notable, that they cheated on their exams and plagiarized their work from web sources. There was a time when companies demanded secure employees, but these days, they want cheap employees. They scrap their veterans and hire in kids, often from these overseas tech farm sources.

Cheap is not secure. But that is the lay of the land these days.

You could even use that separate account debit card at gas stations, although, I still always use cash at gas stations. It's gotten to be a habit.
I don't drive. So I don't go to or use gas stations. I u derstand what you say. But even groceries I pay by credit card, same thing, convenience, habit.

Lifelock used to be its own company, but were bought by Symantec and bundled with Norton security software. I'm not sure what true good they are. I worry sometimes that these software packages might be more harmful than the hackers. They, after all, have employees whose security can be questionable, especially today when software companies habitually hire cheap, from overseas tech farms like Infosys, who cram people through schools and then market them abroad. When I was at University, some of these tech farm people were there and it was notable, that they cheated on their exams and plagiarized their work from web sources. There was a time when companies demanded secure employees, but these days, they want cheap employees. They scrap their veterans and hire in kids, often from these overseas tech farm sources.

Cheap is not secure. But that is the lay of the land these days.

Another thing that is suppose to help protect innocent cunsumers is the 3-digit code on the back of the card. Without that, banks are supposed to make it awfully hard for a hacker to get finalized to use the stolen card number.. Since they don't need the card itself to make an unauthorized purchase of something, they just need the card number from the front of the card if their main plan is to use it online. They would need the actual card in a store. 😱

The bank that I'm with now can make & issue me a new debit card right away, should it ever be needed. No more waiting for 2 weeks for a new card!! And if it is ever reported lost or stolen, the card # changes to a new# right away!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom