My favourite egg dish

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:59 AM
We are BIG on eggs, here on CookingBites. At least, it seems so - and most of us here appreciate a lovely runny yolk (and post photos of that when we can). I love eggs every which way, except if they are overcooked. For example, I really can't abide overcooked scrambled eggs. They should be creamy and falling wantonly onto the plate. No hard curds please.

What are your favourite ways to cook eggs and favourite egg dishes? And are you as particular as am about how they are cooked?

Yes, I love eggs. I love them so much, I can't name one particular way I like them cooked, let alone a single favorite dish.

One of my favorites will pop up in the pancake topic shortly, though it's hard to beat the simplicity of a soft-boiled egg, a little salt and pepper, and some buttery toast.

I also loved pickled eggs...mustard eggs...deviled eggs...fried eggs...scrambled eggs...poached eggs (on top of just about anything)...baked eggs...hard-boiled eggs...there's really no end.

Not only that, but it's an essential ingredient in so many other things...cakes, cookies, breads, pastas, waffles...again, it's nearly limitless.

Unlike you, though, I can eat an egg just about anyway. Sunny side up to over hard with the yolk broken and cooked through. Wet scrambled, hard scrambled, soft boiled, hard boiled, over cooked, under cooked, I can handle them every which way.

I also loved pickled eggs...mustard eggs...deviled eggs...fried eggs...scrambled eggs...poached eggs (on top of just about anything)...baked eggs...hard-boiled eggs...there's really no end.

Me too! I'm mad about eggs. Pickled eggs are just so wonderful. I like them pickled with chillies and other spices.

I'm very picky when it comes to eggs. They can't be too egg-y. A fave I've shared & like is egg foo yung. A dish served in Chinese American restaurants for years. Do you have fried rice-a-roni in your area? It started with a back of the box or brand name recipe, for me, years ago. Over time, I skipped the rice, & tweaked the recipe, adding small shrimp or crab meat. I dropped the eggs down from about 6 to 4. A simple gravy came with, but I don't always make it. Sometimes I added sliced mushrooms. Delish. I called it egg foo yummy. :)

Do crepes count? Like them as well. There used to be a chain restaurant called the magic pan. You could watch the chefs make the crepes. There were breakfast, main dish & dessert crepes. Some copycat recipes may still be on-line at ask Uncle Phaedrus, finder of lost recipes.

Last edited:
Me too! I'm mad about eggs. Pickled eggs are just so wonderful. I like them pickled with chillies and other spices.
Here (in my area), pickled eggs invariably mean hard-boiled eggs pickled with beets, so the eggs turn that lovely light purple. Mustard eggs are pickled with mustard and are a light yellow.

A friend dropped 2 dozen around last night, free range organic from his work mate who sells them , I have two suppliers, one where they are mainly double yolkers.they are big.!
Poached or fried are my choices. Although popular here are curried eggs and scotch eggs. We prolly get through one to two dozen a week. Wife prefers scrambled nice and moist.

Russ

Yep, scotch eggs are grand as well. Most people here don't know what they are.

We brought a picnic hamper last year at a Shakespeare In The Park event, and all the folks around us were very taken with our menu full of English-inspired foods (meat pies, scotch eggs, little Pimm's gelatin desserts, etc). We were getting more attention than the players! :laugh:

Yep, scotch eggs are grand as well. Most people here don't know what they are.

We brought a picnic hamper last year at a Shakespeare In The Park event, and all the folks around us were very taken with our menu full of English-inspired foods (meat pies, scotch eggs, little Pimm's gelatin desserts, etc). We were getting more attention than the players! :laugh:

Try this, when I make mine I divide the sausage meat up and flatten it on cling film with damp hands, then I apply a bit of tomato relish so it is between meat and egg. Gives it a nice tang to the egg.

Russ

Hard boiled eggs for scotch eggs

and Dum

3 s.jpg

and egg tapas

tapas 1 s.jpg

and curry

egg beans chips.jpg

Last edited:
A country breakfast of fluffy scrambled eggs, bacon and/or sausage, hash browns, and sourdough toast is my favorite breakfast.

I often make it myself, but it is a special experience at a Waffle House, for breakfast or after the clubs close at 2AM. Open 24 hours. For those of you who don't live in the Southern half of the USA, I'm not sure I can explain it. If you are interested, here is a Waffle House video from YouTube...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuCUYnzI9gU

CD

Back
Top Bottom