My freezer Inventory

morning glory

Question: are your freezers self or manual defrosting? Food stored in a self defrosting freezer has a much shorter shelf life.

I hope your food is dated. Start with the date. Seafood/fish - six months in a manual defrost freezer. Either use quickly or toss. Veggies about the same. Bread products - 3 months or less. Nothing over a year.

Ummmm.... say what?

If the food is frozen, it is frozen. Now, if you are referring to freezer burn, just vacuum seal your food before you freeze it. If the vacuum bag leaks (not often, but it happens) it's no worse than a zip-lock bag.

With a good, tight vacuum seal, I easily get up to a year out of proteins, if I don't use them before that.

caseydog

We vacuum pack everything. G got a very expensive vacuum machine last November. It will vacuum both dry food and liquids. Freezer burn will happen regardless of the packaging process. Crawfish tails do not last long in the freezer. 3 months max. They get mealy. Fresh vacuum packed fish have a slightly longer shelf life. Shrimp vacuum packed in water will keep for a year. Some flavor loss.

Vacuum packed animal proteins are definitely good for a year. With fresh veggies it depends on the preparation process.

I have no room to talk. My Sweet George is a hoarder. It pains him to throw anything away. He gets close to a panic attack at the thought of throwing anything away - especially food.

Our worst arguments are over getting rid of things - junk, clothes that do not fit or Jurassic food.

Growing up Dad always had corn in his garden. I well remember sitting on the back steps shucking and cutting corn. As a very young child Mom would make corn husk dolls for us to play with while she and Dad shucked and cut.

The BEST corn I have ever eaten is Colorado Sweet Corn. It is a late season corn - I keep an eye out for it in August.

You would love our garden, the wife's dad died when she was 6 yo. All her early memories were in the garden with her dad. I guess that's why she's at home in the garden, and I propagate for her. We have picked and frozen one large batch and the second is ready any day. We love corn.

Russ

caseydog

We vacuum pack everything. G got a very expensive vacuum machine last November. It will vacuum both dry food and liquids. Freezer burn will happen regardless of the packaging process. Crawfish tails do not last long in the freezer. 3 months max. They get mealy. Fresh vacuum packed fish have a slightly longer shelf life. Shrimp vacuum packed in water will keep for a year. Some flavor loss.

Vacuum packed animal proteins are definitely good for a year. With fresh veggies it depends on the preparation process.

I have no room to talk. My Sweet George is a hoarder. It pains him to throw anything away. He gets close to a panic attack at the thought of throwing anything away - especially food.

Our worst arguments are over getting rid of things - junk, clothes that do not fit or Jurassic food.

Yeah, any thing you vacuum seal that can't remove all the air, is not going to last as long. There are gaps in things like crawfish tails. Besides, there will always be that emotional comparison to fresh -- once you have had fresh.

CD

Our corn almost ready to pick.

Russ

We've been doing pretty well about using stuff out of the freezers, but last week Winn Dixie had family packs of thighs on BOGO so that got bought and repackaged. To be fair though, there was only 1 pack left. This week, WD has St. Louis style ribs on BOGO. Rib eyes were also deeply on sale, so we got a couple, but only 1 will go in the freezer

medtran49

I miss Winn Dixie. There are none left in my area. They were "The Beef People" They purchased beef halves and cured them in-store. There were 30 windows over the meat counter. You could see slabs of beef move from one to the next. When the beef had been cured for 30 days it was cut into sellable portions. For decades Winn Dixie had the best beef on the market.
I am good with shopping sales. A couple of weeks ago Albertson's had Boston Butts (bone in pork shoulder roast) for 69 cents per lb. Limit one. Fortunately G was home long enough to get 2. There is one in the freezer. Had he not needed to leave town for business he would have purchased one or two every day of the sale. Too much.

So, how's clearing the freezer going? We're making good headway on the porch refrigerator freezer and some in the deep freeze.

Tonight is the first night in a couple of weeks that i haven't used something out of the freezer, and that's because i had some fresh produce that needed to be used up, some spinach and some pieces of roasted red and yellow bells. Plus I used up 8 of the dozens of eggs we have.

So, how's clearing the freezer going?

Its not! I have too much fresh stuff to use first. Not that I have been stockpiling, its just that there are only two of us and I eat very little. Lately so does he. He is managing a small lunch but then just pecks and leaves half of it in the evening.

Its not! I have too much fresh stuff to use first. Not that I have been stockpiling, its just that there are only two of us and I eat very little. Lately so does he. He is managing a small lunch but then just pecks and leaves half of it in the evening.
My parents eat like that. Part of it is that my dad lost much of his sense of taste about five years ago.

BTW, a couple of days ago, my news feed had a hack on how to freeze avocados. I happened to have a ripe one so tossed it into the freezer. Supposedly, you take it out of the freezer, run it under hot water for a minute or so, let it sit for 30 minutes on the counter, no more, no less, then score the skin, peel it off, then use the avo from there. I'll give it a try in a few days with the one I have and report.

Last edited:
BTW, a couple of days ago, my news feed had a hack on how to freeze avocados. I happened to have a ripe one so tossed it into the freezer. Supposedly, you take it out of the freezer, run it under hot water for a minute or so, let it sit for 30 minutes on the counter, no more, no less, then score the skin, peel it off, then use the avo from there. I'll give it a try in a few days with the one I have and report.

I'm keen to know if this works, I love avos, wife doesn't, we don't buy them. I might if it works???

Russ

Strange to me as corn something I rarely eat - its usually eaten in the UK either whole fresh on the cob and grilled or as a side (frozen or tinned). The latter is usually regarded as kids food or maybe a filler for cheap student meals. Perhaps I am being unfair and there are lots of other ways its used in the UK. Correct me if I am wrong, someone!

I'm not a big fan as I don't like the sweet taste but I do appreciate that it can be used in many ways.
Agreed. However, we often pan fry it with sage leaves and lemon peel. It goes really well with pork.

Back
Top Bottom