My freezer Inventory

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:08 AM
Here is my rather frightening freezer inventory. You will note there is very little logic regarding where things are put. My mission is to clear as much as possible so that I don't need two freezers. Any help gratefully received. If anyone also wants to post their inventory please feel free.

Freezer 1
Top drawer
Pork belly slices
Venison steak
Crayfish
Pandan Leaf
Smoked haddock
Vine leaves
Mushrooms (they are horrible - why did I ever buy frozen mushrooms?)
Cranberry sauce
Cranberries
Curry leaves

2nd drawer
Fish steak in cheese sauce
Curry leaves
2 x burger buns
Chuck steak
Blue Rice (Yep - really!)
Turmeric root

3rd drawer
Cod fillet
Fish stock
Broad beans
Yorkshire Puddings
Langoustines

Bottom drawer
Rhubarb (fresh)
Pitta bread
Roast potatoes
Oven chips
Tortillas
Peas

Freezer 2
Top drawer
Puff pastry
Blackberry jus
Black ice-cream
Scotch bonnet chillies
Black truffle (ancient)
Clams (very old)
Italian lemon

2nd drawer
Squid (whole)
Huss
Lamb's liver
King prawns (shell-on x 3)
King prawns raw
Turmeric root
Lemon grass
Kaffir lime leaves
Port & red onion sauce

3rd drawer
Lemons
Spinach
Broad beans
Chillies
Chicken liver
Microwave chips
Chicken kiev
Vol-au-vent cases (why?)

Bottom drawer
Kaffir lime leaves
Kadafi pastry
Fresh fenugreek
Scotch Bonnet chillies (lots)
Garlic & chopped chillies
Lamb mince
Roast potatoes
Pork sausage meat
Cubes of minced ginger

Here is my rather frightening freezer inventory. :D:D My mission is to clear as much as possible so that I don't need two freezers. Any help gratefully received. If anyone also wants to post their inventory please feel free.

Freezer 1
Top drawer
Pork belly slices
Venison steak
Crayfish
Pandan Leaf
Smoked haddock
Vine leaves
Mushrooms (they are horrible - why did I ever buy frozen mushrooms?)
Cranberry sauce
Cranberries
Curry leaves

2nd drawer
Fish steak in cheese sauce
Curry leaves
2 x burger buns
Chuck steak
Blue Rice (Yep - really!)
Turmeric root

3rd drawer
Cod fillet
Fish stock
Broad beans
Yorkshire Puddings
Langoustines

Bottom drawer
Rhubarb (fresh)
Pitta bread
Roast potatoes
Oven chips
Tortillas
Peas

Freezer 2
Top drawer
Puff pastry
Blackberry jus
Black ice-cream
Scotch bonnet chillies
Black truffle (ancient)
Clams (very old)
Italian lemon

2nd drawer
Squid (whole)
Huss
Lamb's liver
King prawns (shell-on x 3)
King prawns raw
Turmeric root
Lemon grass
Kaffir lime leaves
Port & red onion sauce

3rd drawer
Lemons
Spinach
Broad beans
Chillies
Chicken liver
Microwave chips
Chicken kiev
Vol-au-vent cases (why?)

Bottom drawer
Kaffir lime leaves
Kadafi pastry
Fresh fenugreek
Scotch Bonnet chillies (lots)
Garlic & chopped chillies
Lamb mince
Roast potatoes
Pork sausage meat
Cubes of minced ginger

Started out being logical, but quickly became where ever it fits. We are in the same boat, but this time we took inventory of one of the fridge freezers and are making progress to using up those items. Maybe we will find room for the ice cream maker bowl!

Only one small freezer here under the fridge:
25 quart bags of blanced off the cob sweet corn in the top drawer
Wild caught shrimp
Alaskan king salmon, Rock fish, Yellow Eye, halibut - we caught this past summer
Peas
Pie crust
Boston Market pre packaged Meatloaf / Mashed meal
Ice cream
The corn and fish take up 90% of the space.

That is a lot of corn! What do you need it all for?

The fish sounds like a lovely plunder.

My stepmother used to have that much corn, plus peas, plus green beans, plus squash, etc in her deep freeze, even pecans (which I used to steal, got spoiled not having to buy them). They lived in farm and big on gardening country. They got lots of handouts. It was kind of like the zucchini joke where people put it on your porch in the dead of night because they have so much of it they have to get rid of it some way, and they know you probably have as much as you want already.

morning glory

Question: are your freezers self or manual defrosting? Food stored in a self defrosting freezer has a much shorter shelf life.

I hope your food is dated. Start with the date. Seafood/fish - six months in a manual defrost freezer. Either use quickly or toss. Veggies about the same. Bread products - 3 months or less. Nothing over a year.

Cleaning the freezer is a HUGE bone of contention. G will never through anything out regardless of the age. When we cleaned the freezer last year there was food several years old. We had a TERRIBLE argument. I was sneaky and tossed food when he was out of town. He has never missed what I tossed. I do feel terrible about deceiving my love. He has hoarding issues.

Question: are your freezers self or manual defrosting? Food stored in a self defrosting freezer has a much shorter shelf life.

Manual
I hope your food is dated. Start with the date. Seafood/fish - six months in a manual defrost freezer. Either use quickly or toss. Veggies about the same. Bread products - 3 months or less. Nothing over a year.

Nothing dated.:ohmy:

I'll risk it. Otherwise I have to chuck everything, more or less.

My understanding is that flavour can deteriorate but bacteria is less likely. We will see...

...if I suddenly go silent. :D

That is a lot of corn! What do you need it all for?

The fish sounds like a lovely plunder.
Married into a farming family - old habits die hard. We eat it through the fall and winter months either as a side or mixed in with corn casserole, corn bread or salsa. Also have a few friends that will ask for a bag no and then. The difference in taste from canned/commercially frozen is considerably better. Our annual Alaskan fishing trip provides the fish bounty. Again, such a huge improvement in taste from wild caught to what is typical for purchase in stores where we live.

You wouldn't like my freezer-clearing method:

1. Get angry at the freezer
2. Throw everything in the trash
3. Freezer sorted

:)

I know roughly where things are, but while finding it, I keep an eye out for freezer burnt stuff. I will quite often take a cut of meat out and throw 3 other things out. We win a lot meat trays and freeze these. Split up of course.

Russ

Married into a farming family - old habits die hard. We eat it through the fall and winter months either as a side or mixed in with corn casserole, corn bread or salsa. Also have a few friends that will ask for a bag no and then. The difference in taste from canned/commercially frozen is considerably better. Our annual Alaskan fishing trip provides the fish bounty. Again, such a huge improvement in taste from wild caught to what is typical for purchase in stores where we live. is a =

Strange to me as corn something I rarely eat - its usually eaten in the UK either whole fresh on the cob and grilled or as a side (frozen or tinned). The latter is usually regarded as kids food or maybe a filler for cheap student meals. Perhaps I am being unfair and there are lots of other ways its used in the UK. Correct me if I am wrong, someone!

I'm not a big fan as I don't like the sweet taste but I do appreciate that it can be used in many ways.

Strange to me as corn something I rarely eat - its usually eaten in the UK either whole fresh on the cob and grilled or as a side (frozen or tinned). The latter is usually regarded as kids food or maybe a filler for cheap student meals. Perhaps I am being unfair and there are lots of other ways its used in the UK. Correct me if I am wrong, someone!

I'm not a big fan as I don't like the sweet taste but I do appreciate that it can be used in many ways.

You're missing s treat mg, as you know we grow it here and freeze. My fave way is a dollop of butter rubbed over half a cob, sprinkled with salt. The only time I use salt with corn, wrap it in Ali foil. Cook on BBQ for 5 to 10 mins, it's unbelievable. I also byy creamed corn for ham and corn sammich as well.

Russ

Maybe a regional thing - I am sure Tasty may have some insight 🙃
I just know in my area in the summer everyone rushes to the farmers market / farm stands to get locally grown sweet corn to be eaten preferably that same day otherwise the sugars start to break down. Goes the same for the sweet corn we blanch it the day we pick it, take off the cob and freeze - probably a midwestern thing. In season, its huge business here with a dozen ears going for as much as $7-8$

Yeah, here in the Midwest, corn is no filler or kids' food, it's King! Maybe the only thing that'll rival it during the summer months is a good ripe summer tomato, and even then, I wouldn't count corn out.

When we were kids, we'd have corn on the cob more often than not, and the real treat was to get a thick slice of bread, put a lot of butter on it, then use that buttered bread to butter your ear of corn. The heat from the corn would melt the butter into the bread, and when you were done buttering...oh my, what a delicious side-product that bread and butter was! Delicious 😋

When it was time to can corn for the winter...shuck, shuck, shuck, on the front porch. Everybody helped. There'd be 10 of us involved, some shucking, some cutting, and some canning, and we'd go through a lot of cornhuskers' lotion by the end of the day, bottles of it.

Back
Top Bottom