Recipe My squid sticks sandwich

djordjem87

Veteran
Local time
8:50 PM
I made this one several years ago and it is not complex but you need some material for making it. The thing is I made it in winter and in winter in Serbia we have ZIMNICA ( food we make for winter and store) so i used some of that to prepare it. I believe it is my favourite sandwich but, nevertheless, I haven't eaten it recently. I would like to know if you make similar things at your home.

Ingredients:

- a bun- it is good to have something like this https://natkinedobrote.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/dscn8742.jpg
it is thin and nice if you do not want to eat only bread but you want to taste everything else
- squid or fish sticks ( I never used fish, but I guess it is OK)
- Ajvar ( I explained ajvar in other thread but basically it is a red pepper and eggplant dip)
- soy sauce
- ketchup
- cayenne ( ground red pepper) I prefer very hot
- Sauerkraut ( Ribanac in Serbian) or pickled cabbage salad which i prefer.
*Sauerkraut is easy to make. You just take some cabbage and grate it finely. Put some in a big jar or in any deeper pot, add salt and then again put another layer of grated cabbage and salt, and so on. The point is to press everything well and from time to time to clean the residue juice it can appear.

* The pickled cabbage is a bit complicated than this. You will need a barrel and the cabbage is whole. You do not slice or grate it. For this you will also need cabbage and salt but some water as well. You fill the barrel half the way up with cabbage and in lukewarm water you mix salt and add to the barrel. I will show you in pictures.

Sauerkraut
https://www.google.rs/search?q=riba...El4XJM:;M-mtV4y61yXEIM:&imgrc=u_sPxbBHEl4XJM:

pickled cabbage
https://www.google.rs/search?q=kise...UIBygB&biw=1309&bih=641#imgrc=d7gCyjHcJqdjCM:

So, getting back to this sandwich. You need to make salad of this cabbage. Slice it how you like, add some oil you prefer and season with cayenne. On the other side, cut the bun and heat it on a grill from inside for a minute. Spread some ajvar, place already fried squid sticks on ajvar, sprinkle soy sauce on them, put cabbage salad on top and some good ketchup, home made if can. This tastes very good. I like to mix in some mustard but not always. The more home made ingredients you can use the better for you.

I see Sauerkraut in the supermarket that you squeeze from a bottle. Are they the same and can we use that in case we have no time to prepare it from scratch? I am not sure if I know what a squid stick is it is similar to fish cakes?

I have never had squid so I am not sure if I would like it or not. I have seen it at the local market but have never felt adventurous enough to give it a try.
The rest of it sounds quite good though. I usually buy sauerkraut but I never realized that it was so easy to make. I will have to start making my own.

I doubt I would like this sandwich as I don't like squid aka calamari. My only comment is that it seems like it would sort of salty. The sauerkraut defintely is high in sodium, maybe not the homemade version you describe, but the commercial in the can. Ketchup has a lot of sodium as well, and pickled cabbage. I have never tried making my own sauerkraut. I think it might be fine.

I see Sauerkraut in the supermarket that you squeeze from a bottle. Are they the same and can we use that in case we have no time to prepare it from scratch? I am not sure if I know what a squid stick is it is similar to fish cakes?
I never saw that type of Sauerkraut but why not experimenting a bit. I am not sure I chose the perfect word for these. It is like fish sticks or fish fingers just made of squids. I made this out of boredom but it really is something else. Maybe it doesn't look or sound like that but it is different and so tasty. Somebody mentioned it is probably salty. Not really, only cabbage is a bit salty.

Back
Top Bottom