My Thanksgiving meal

Shopping for T-day food... they've already pushed out Thanksgiving for Christmas as far as decor goes.
Today, I'm making some of my dishes for tomorrow. Boiling potatoes at the moment.

Luckily, I'm "working" from home today. I don't feel guilty, because everyone will be cut loose at noon today except for me. I have to stay online and be available for any emergencies. So I'm making taters!

Today, I made a cornbread, sausage, pecan and cranberry stuffing for the first time. Needs one more bake tomorrow before serving. After two hours of prep, initial taste test ... meh :( mIt,s not picture worthy.

Will update tomorrow after serving with the full meal. I do have traditional stuffing also as a backup.

Turkey is in the brine. I'm usually able to just brine it in a big pot and set it out in the garage overnight, but it's too warm right now, so I bought a giant ziploc bag (yes, they come big enough to hold a turkey and more), put in the turkey and the brine, closed it up, then dropped it in a big cooler and packed the cooler with ice.

Brine is from a Food & Wine magazine cookbook, and is made up of mustard seed, peppercorns, bay leaves, brown sugar, salt, onions, bacon (to be repurposed later), and beer (Sam Adams Oktoberfest).

Interesting! Is Turkey generally the main bird still across the US?

Rich

I'm sure you are all waiting with bated breath to hear what caseydog's Thanksgiving meal is like. :p: Well, it's about twelve hours away... and don't hold your breath. I'm not cooking any of it, unless they ask me to at the last minute. It is going to be... food. Not bad food, but not great, either. My influence will be in the carving of the turkey. My dad has an open mind, and knows I can cook. His natural tendency is the cut meats with the grain. But, he listens to me when I tell him he's doing it wrong. I show him the right way, and he does it -- no arguments.

It could be so much better, if not for "tradition." My parents are 87 and 85. I'm at their house, and we are going to eat what they want to eat, which is what they have always eaten on Thanksgiving. It is a rule etched in stone. My sister is 60, and is capable of being a great cook, but I can't get her "out of her box." But she will make the candied sweet potatoes and green bean casserole, all from canned ingredients. But,most of her dinners come out of a microwave oven. I just haven't been able to light a fire in her belly to cook really good food from scratch.

I am too busy doing home repairs on my parents house, and my sisters house to do any cooking this weekend. So, I'll have to wait until Christmas to do any real cooking for them.

CD

Interesting! Is Turkey generally the main bird still across the US?

Rich

For Thanksgiving, yes... absolutely. It is probably the only time we cook a turkey. We will eat sliced turkey Brest sandwiches at lunch, but as far as actually roasting a whole turkey, that's only at thanksgiving, or for some Mericans, Christmas.

Turkey leftovers are also sometimes better than what you eat on Thanksgiving day. The sandwiches, the soups, and in my case, turkey and sausage gumbo.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom