National Crab Day

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
6:47 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
In the spirit of National food days, March 9 is National Crab Day.

Do you enjoy crab? Have you cooked with it before personally, or just tried it at a restaurant perhaps?

For me, I've never tried it! (gasp!!) I'm honestly not all that crazy about seafood unless it's salmon or mild flavoured white fish.

My husband though loves crab and could eat it all day, probably. We visited Hakodate last year, which is a city in northern Japan, and he had this crazy looking bowl of ramen with a whole crab on top. He has a picture of the actual bowl of ramen with the crab on his phone - I'll have to get him to send it to me so I can show you all!

1417276600453.jpg

I love crab. I prefer eating crab meat salad from crabs that already in the bag though. Having to go through the struggle to get crab meat out of a crab is very difficult. Now, King crab legs are another matter. It is pretty easy to get the crab out of those enormous legs. I know there is supposed to be a method to remove crab from the shell, but the whole process escapes me at the time! I don't have them often enough to memorize it!

I adore crab and like to prepare them myself if I can. I live not too far away from a great fishing town and I can get fresh crabs if I go there. Its not an overpowering taste... quite subtle. So I wonder why you don't like it @cupcakechef ?

Last edited:
I adore crab and like to prepare them myself if I can. I live not too far away from a great fishing town and I can get fresh crabs if I go there. Its not an overpwering taste... quite subtle. So I wonder why you don't like it @cupcakechef ?

I'm a weird one - it's the look of it...I can't bring myself to eat it! Crazy, right?

I wasn't raised in a family that ate much seafood, apart from fish and chips from the local takeaway joint - so I think perhaps it's just a fear of the unknown? I sound like a 5 year old, I know! :wink:

Crab like many things has its grades,mass produced frozen ,fresh air line removed ,can be puffed up ,or local crab I get hand picked from lymington or Portland Dorset,I rate white meat but not the brown so much,nothing better than a dressed crab and a glass of white

We had crabs the other weekend. I was lucky to see fresh fat crabs in the market. I only buy crabs when I see that they are fresh and fat because we love the red fatty thing of the crabs. So you can guess that I only buy the female crabs. And our favorite cooking style is using the coconut milk that we boil for 30 minutes so the white color will somewhat vanish and in place will be the oil and the sediments. Those coconut milk sediments called Latik enhance the flavor of the crabs. By the way, we boil the crabs for 15 minutes only otherwise the texture will suffer.

Maybe I ate crab as a child and some years ago. My husband is the Crab lover. He has someone bring him some form time to time but I don't get involved. @cupcakechef, never knew there was a Crab day. What's left out?

I'm a weird one - it's the look of it...I can't bring myself to eat it! Crazy, right?

I wasn't raised in a family that ate much seafood, apart from fish and chips from the local takeaway joint - so I think perhaps it's just a fear of the unknown? I sound like a 5 year old, I know! :wink:
Perhaps its time to experiment! You could try crab prepared in crab cakes - so you don't have to see the crab at all! I was brought up in a family that didn't eat any seafood and I was a vegetarian from age 12 to 19. So, I understand the issue. But once I tasted oysters there was no going back. I'm afraid any phobias I had were eclipsed by my desire to explore new tastes.

Well I must have missed this but I think somewhere in my head there is that 'look' that has me as well. In my case I am sure I had it as a child but not as an adult. So you are not completely alone here.

Back
Top Bottom