The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:20 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
national-pizza-day-2019-freebies-ftr.jpg

I assume this isn't an international phenomenon, but I welcome my friends from around the world to partake in this very important holiday.

In truth, it's neither a holiday - no banks will be closed, except for the fact that it's a Saturday - nor are there going to be celebrations to speak of, other than the fact that many pizza places will be offering discounts in the States. But, if you need an excuse to eat pizza, here it is.

If I weren't working my second job, I'd fire up the Weber with kettlepizza kit and do some homemade. The kettlepizza kit allows me to turn my Weber into a wood fired oven.

Is the Weber your Big Green Egg?

No, it is a kettle style grill. Actually Karen suggested making homemade Priazzos which are a discontinued Pizza Hut, "deep" dish style pie, on the BGE. We had purchased the heat sinks and pans a while ago.

We've had the pans for years and made priazzos a couple of times early on, but the middles were always undercooked so gave up on them. Then, 2-3 years ago, I stumbled across a site that said to use a heat sink, so went looking for them. Woowza, they were expensive for a 1 use gadget. Apparently, the manufacturer discontinued them and prices shot up. Then, about 6 or so months ago, when looking for something else, found them again and, while still not cheap, they were much more reasonably priced, so I grabbed one and it's been sitting in the box waiting patiently to be used since then.

No, it is a kettle style grill. Actually Karen suggested making homemade Priazzos which are a discontinued Pizza Hut, "deep" dish style pie, on the BGE. We had purchased the heat sinks and pans a while ago.

I'm being dumb - but why can't you just cook a regular pizza in the BGE?

You can and we have. Was trying to avoid using the oven, as well as getting that lovely flavor that cooking them over wood imparts. We much, much, much (get the hint :roflmao: ) prefer pizza cooked in a wood fired or even a coal fired oven over pizza cooked in a conventional oven.

The BGE maintains temps better and over longer periods of time than the Weber due to the difference in manufacturing materials, and uses much less fuel, so that's why I asked about using it.

You can and we have. Was trying to avoid using the oven, as well as getting that lovely flavor that cooking them over wood imparts. We much, much, much (get the hint :roflmao: ) prefer pizza cooked in a wood fired or even a coal fired oven over pizza cooked in a conventional oven.

The BGE maintains temps better and over longer periods of time than the Weber due to the difference in manufacturing materials, and uses much less fuel, so that's why I asked about using it.

I obviously don't understand the BGE. You can't use wood in the BGE?

Yes, you can use wood and/or charcoal in the BGE, as you can in the Weber. Since it's a longer cooking time, the BGE is more efficient than the Weber.

Maybe this was the confusing part. When I write fuel in regard to the BGE or the Weber, I mean wood or charcoal.

Last edited:
Wow. I had no idea how International pizza day is. UK, Australia, and USA.

In honor of Pizza day, I will once again make another attempt at cauliflower pizza crust.
Previous attempts have been failures...I found a new video and going to give it a try.
Wish me luck. ( I will be photographing the adventure. )

Wow. I had no idea how International pizza day is. UK, Australia, and USA.

In honor of Pizza day, I will once again make another attempt at cauliflower pizza crust.
Previous attempts have been failures...I found a new video and going to give it a try.
Wish me luck. ( I will be photographing the adventure. )
I've found sources citing it as a world pizza day.

Plus if you fail at the cauliflower pizza crust, let me know. Every time I'vetried it it's been a complete success, so I can see if I added the recipe here or if it was one from Vegan Richa or similar.

Back
Top Bottom