National Pizza Day

I'm a fan of Margherita pizzas, and what is locally called a "Grandma Pie". Thar's essentially a Margerita style, but it has a thin, square crust that is brushed with crushed garlic and olive oil, then is briefly blind baked before being topped with sauce, fresh mozz, and fresh basil and re-baked.

Pizzas are something I like now and then, though I can't abide those things with crusts that resemble a double mattress.

One place that seems to do very nice, thin crust pizzas, is Slovenia. I had some very tasty pizzas in Ljubljana. There is a pub there that brews its own beer. The beer is very good indeed - you can have a "light" or a "dark" beer, or you can have a "mixed," which is, surprisingly enough, half and half of each in the same glass. This sounded a bit rubbish, but actually produces a rather pleasing drink. They also do a lovely garlic pizza bread, with a very thin crust. This is an excellent accompaniment to the beer.

When I was a youngster almost old enough to drink legally, the beer of choice around my neck of the woods was a pint of mixed (bitter and mild, equal proportions). I even remember the price - 1/6. (Bitter was 1/7, mild 1/5).

Back
Top Bottom