20240427_144022.jpg

Spices added plus kashmiri dried chillies:
20240427_144240.jpg

Half tin crushed tomates added plus some water, then cooked for 10 mins:
20240427_144630.jpg

Then pureed with stick blender:

20240427_150719.jpg

Done!

I presume you mean langoustine tails? Scampi is a generic term which can mean different things and in the USA shrimp (prawns are used) as langoustine are rare. In the USA (as I understand it) it's not a breaded dish. Here in the UK the langoustine is often served breaded and fried and if you order scampi in a pub/restaurant that is what you get.
Well it should be whole langoustine tails but it's a bit like sausages, you're not always sure what's in them. That's why I was asking what scampi meant in the US 👍

America has that red tail crayfish one that fills the langoustine bill so I wondered if that was part of it.

I watched a programme about them (yes I'm a nerd) and apparently they're an extremely successful invasive species here that are threatening the native langoustine levels, the conclusion of the programme was "Eat as much crayfish as you can"

Best conclusion to an environmental programme ever!! 😆

Scampi is a dish. The link below is typical

Shrimp Scampi with Linguini

We'll have the scampi tomorrow as I had a bad day yesterday arthritis wise and don't want to exacerbate anything.

Arthritis is a swine, quite right not to do anything to exacerbate it!

The link takes me to a plain search page -
IMG_2187.png

I’m still a bit confused. So far I think shrimp are what the UK call prawns and scampi is a type of dish using shrimp?

EDIT: Looked it up and Wikipedia answered so I get it now 👍

Last edited:
Had a quick look at what scampi is in the UK, and supposedly it's the peeled tail of langoustine.
However - it can be the whole piece, or it can be "formed", ie. bits and pieces left over all put together and breaded/fried.

Had a quick look at what scampi is in the UK, and supposedly it's the peeled tail of langoustine.
However - it can be the whole piece, or it can be "formed", ie. bits and pieces left over all put together and breaded/fried.

Legally it just has to contain some langoustine, so it can (as it did in the dodgy days that caused the legislation) contain monkfish or any other fish that gives a scampi effect.

Personally I’m not fussed if it’s 100% langoustine so long as it tastes good that’s fine by me.
But so far I’ve noted ‘whole tail langoustine’ does taste better.
God bless labelling laws 😂

Yeah in the US it's an Italian-American dish involving garlic, butter, lemon, etc. and often served over pasta.
Classic Shrimp Scampi Recipe
Classic Shrimp Scampi - Downshiftology

Ah yes thats the dish I’d arrived at to mean ‘shrimp scampi’ thankyou 👍

Anyone ever tried velveting prawns? I had a go with Lye water and bicarb but not only did it not make a significant difference to the texture I felt it effected the flavour adversely. I ended up adding the flavour back in with Thai fish sauce. Thinking of just sticking with the usual cornflour. I’m after that soft prawn texture you get in a chinese takeaway.

Last edited:
My final dish which is definitely not scampi in the UK or USA! In fact, I originally misread the title of the thread as being prawn or scampi - (given that on the UK scampi isn't made of prawns). But anyway it was delicious.

View attachment 113015
Looks awesome 🤤

I read the title that way too 😂

Back
Top Bottom